Re: [midatlanticretro] OT? SCSI

    Message 1 of 21 , May 1, 2012
      On 05/01/2012 10:19 AM, B Degnan wrote:
      > Not really vintage in our club's scope, but just for anyone
      > interested in SCSI things I have a pretty large number of SCSI cards
      > and drives, mostly from the 1990's that I have set aside. These are
      > not for sale, but for future restoration projects. I have a win 2000
      > system set up for SCSI drive testing with about three types of cards
      > installed, external CD SCSI burners, etc. What I did is gather
      > together all of the related items into one place, sealed them up and
      > I will get back to it in 2020 the medium future. Eventually things
      > SCSI will be hard to find, now is the time to start setting aside
      > 90's tech, when it's practically free.

      Early 50-pin SCSI drives, in particular, are really drying up fast.
      With all the high-end non-PC systems up until the early 2000s using such
      drives, I'm hoarding them at this point.

      Speaking of which, it was not my intention to hoard this particular
      type of drive, but I have lots...well over two hundred...Seagate
      Barracuda 4.3GB 68-pin differential (not LVD!) SCSI drives. These are
      really tough to find. If anyone needs them, they are available for the
      asking.

      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
      Message 2 of 21 , May 1, 2012
        At 12:57 PM 5/1/2012, you wrote:
        >On 05/01/2012 10:19 AM, B Degnan wrote:
        > > Not really vintage in our club's scope, but just for anyone
        > > interested in SCSI things I have a pretty large number of SCSI cards
        > > and drives, mostly from the 1990's that I have set aside. These are
        > > not for sale, but for future restoration projects. I have a win 2000
        > > system set up for SCSI drive testing with about three types of cards
        > > installed, external CD SCSI burners, etc. What I did is gather
        > > together all of the related items into one place, sealed them up and
        > > I will get back to it in 2020 the medium future. Eventually things
        > > SCSI will be hard to find, now is the time to start setting aside
        > > 90's tech, when it's practically free.
        >
        > Early 50-pin SCSI drives, in particular, are really drying up fast.
        >With all the high-end non-PC systems up until the early 2000s using such
        >drives, I'm hoarding them at this point.
        >
        > Speaking of which, it was not my intention to hoard this particular
        >type of drive, but I have lots...well over two hundred...Seagate
        >Barracuda 4.3GB 68-pin differential (not LVD!) SCSI drives. These are
        >really tough to find. If anyone needs them, they are available for the
        >asking.

        I need to come up to Pittsburgh to visit you and Dan R some time.

        Bill
      • Mike Loewen
        Message 3 of 21 , May 1, 2012
          On Tue, 1 May 2012, B Degnan wrote:

          > I need to come up to Pittsburgh to visit you and Dan R some time.

          Ditto.

          Mike Loewen mloewen@...
        • J. Alexander Jacocks
          Message 4 of 21 , May 1, 2012
            On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 12:57 PM, Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> wrote:

            On 05/01/2012 10:19 AM, B Degnan wrote:
            > Not really vintage in our club's scope, but just for anyone
            > interested in SCSI things I have a pretty large number of SCSI cards
            > and drives, mostly from the 1990's that I have set aside. These are
            > not for sale, but for future restoration projects. I have a win 2000
            > system set up for SCSI drive testing with about three types of cards
            > installed, external CD SCSI burners, etc. What I did is gather
            > together all of the related items into one place, sealed them up and
            > I will get back to it in 2020 the medium future. Eventually things
            > SCSI will be hard to find, now is the time to start setting aside
            > 90's tech, when it's practically free.

            Early 50-pin SCSI drives, in particular, are really drying up fast.
            With all the high-end non-PC systems up until the early 2000s using such
            drives, I'm hoarding them at this point.
             <snip>

            I tend to agree...I've been trying to get my hands on as many 9 and 18gb fast/narrow disks as I can.  These are extremely useful, and have less years on them than most narrow disks.  I have 4-5 in my disk storage box, so far.  I use them in my 68k Macs, my early SPARCstations, my Amigas, and others.

            - Alex
            Message 5 of 21 , May 1, 2012
              I have a few Seagates 9-18 gb

              Message 6 of 21 , May 1, 2012
                On 05/01/2012 03:20 PM, B Degnan wrote:
                > I need to come up to Pittsburgh to visit you and Dan R some time.

                You (and Mike too) are always welcome. It's a bit of a mess right
                now, and will be for awhile, so you have been warned. ;)

                Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                New Kensington, PA
              • murph
                Message 7 of 21 , May 2, 2012
                  On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 9:34 AM, Kelly D. Leavitt <kelly@...> wrote:

                  If Bill isn't then I am.

                  Will you be at VCF on Sunday?

                  --
                  Team Amiga  New Jersey - The less that I speak, the smarter I sound.

                • Kelly D. Leavitt
                  Message 8 of 21 , May 2, 2012
                    Yes, I will be there both days. Look for me at the consignment area.

                    Team Amiga New Jersey - The less that I speak, the smarter I sound.

                    <http://identi.ca/murph>
                  • s100doctor
                    Message 9 of 21 , May 2, 2012
                      B Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:

                      > Not really vintage in our club's scope, but just for anyone
                      > interested in SCSI things I have a pretty large number of SCSI cards
                      > and drives, mostly from the 1990's that I have set aside. These are
                      > not for sale, but for future restoration projects.

                      Since this is off-topic....I run a used Mac business, especially the 68K and early PowerPC Macs. So I'm actively looking for the early 50-pin SCSI-1 type drives they used. Drives with Apple logos/name on them are particularly desirable. Anyone with these to sell, contact me off-list; also I'll be at the VCF-E. Thank you.

                      Herb Johnson
                    • murph
                      Message 10 of 21 , May 4, 2012
                        On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 9:56 AM, Kelly D. Leavitt <kelly@...> wrote:

                        Yes, I will be there both days. Look for me at the consignment area.

                        I'll try to bring it with me.

                        --
                        Team Amiga  New Jersey - The less that I speak, the smarter I sound.