IBM PC Network (Broadband) Adapter

  • Kyle Owen
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 30, 2012
      In the same IBM PC/AT that has the failing hard drive, there is an IBM PC Network Adapter, a card that I can find very little information online. It is fitted with a single female F-connector on the card edge. The little information online that I dug up is available here: http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/network-cards/I/IBM-CORPORATION-Broadband-PC-NETWORK-ADAPTER-BROAD.html

      It seems to indicate that it's a broadband card. What more specifics could anyone here give me? Surely I can't just go plugging my PC into the coax going to my cable modem, right? That'd be too easy! Most of the NICs I've seen use BNC for 10BASE2 and such, not an F-connector.

      Something I should have mentioned in my previous email is that this seems to be a CORE International ATplus40, judging from the label I found on the hard drive. I don't know if that makes it any more valuable as a machine (especially considering the "more reliable" hard drive is shot), but it's cool to know that it has some history.

      Kyle
    • Dave Wade
      Message 2 of 3 , May 1 12:48 AM
        On 01/05/2012 05:38, Kyle Owen wrote: In the same IBM PC/AT that has the failing hard drive, there is an IBM PC Network Adapter, a card that I can find very little information online. It is fitted with a single female F-connector on the card edge. The little information online that I dug up is available here: http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/network-cards/I/IBM-CORPORATION-Broadband-PC-NETWORK-ADAPTER-BROAD.html

        Message 3 of 3 , May 1 3:56 AM
          Nothing special I believe. It's an internal network card not ethernet. Could very well have been used in a Novel network for example or for terminal emulation in a mini computer driven network such as system 36 as400 etc. Best clue...check the keyboard for a function key overlay.
          --
          Sent from my PDP 8/e.