MFM Hard Drive Repair

  • Kyle Owen
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 30 8:28 PM
      Hi guys,

      I dug out the old IBM 5170, since a piece of equipment at work uses a similar 286 machine with a dead SyQuest drive in it. I figured at the very minimum I could use the MFM drive out of mine, assuming I could adjust for interrupts. However, it seems as though my drive is shot as well!

      It's a Magnetic Peripherals 94155, which, according to the label, is a Type 11 drive, with 39.9 MB. When it boots up, I can hear the head hitting up against a stop, which tells me it's having trouble seeking to track 0, I believe. It then shuts down the motor, and the IBM reports a hard disk error. I've got it apart right now (and took it apart *very* carefully, might I add!) and have noticed that the head spindle bearings are very odd. They seemed to be spring loaded. It is extremely hard to turn the spindle unless there is some sufficient pressure on one side. Again, this is the spindle for the head (probably a better term than that), not the main platter spindle. Is this supposed to be like that? I can't imagine why they would need it spring loaded.

      Has anyone had a similar problem? Is it likely that I have bad bearings, or more likely that I have bad media (or something else)?

      I sure wish I could make it to VCF this year, but alas, my last exam is this Friday, and I'm in no shape to get up there in such short time. If VCF is slightly later next year, I think I could make it. I'd love to exhibit my SWTPC 6800 with its peripherals!

      73,

      Kyle