Re: [midatlanticretro] Classic Ethernet for VCF-E?

    Message 1 of 59 , Apr 30, 2012
      On 04/30/2012 04:26 PM, system@... wrote:
      >>> Likewise, the SGI exhibit runs 10bt or 100bT through twisted-pair >
      >> RJ45's. It's possible Mike Loewen's HP's may have some sort of >
      >> Ethernet. And someone may bring something else with some kind of >
      >> TCP/IP support. > > What would it take, to have a local Ethernet
      >> "backbone" through the > exhibit area? Just enough that the 11/70 might
      >> be able to "ping" the > SGI Indigo 2, at least? Seems to me, it would be
      >> prudent to isolate > those systems from the Infoage "network", or only
      >> have one point of > crossover. Smarter network persons than I, will know
      >> what it will > take to do this.
      >>
      >> Well, my PDP-11/70 is running RSTS/E, for which no TCP/IP support
      >> exists. It does speak DECnet, however.
      >
      > I wonder if you could port/backport CMU TCP/IP to that?

      Are you talking about CMU-Tek IP for VMS, or something else? I'm
      unaware of any CMU IP implementation for PDP-11.

      I know you're pretty busy these days, but are you involved in/aware of
      HECnet? I just brought my tunnels up last night and can see the whole
      network via multiple paths. Great stuff.

      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
      New Kensington, PA
    • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
      Message 59 of 59 , May 2, 2012
        Neil Cherry <ncherry@...> writes:

        >--3CXBIGrbOV8KduZw-ZUy5fHna8NbtrbPBy7ylX6 Content-Type: text/plain;
        >charset=ISO-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
        >
        >The good news is that if we can get our hands on some Vintage Cisco
        >routers we can pretty much network anything that supported Ethernet
        >formatted packets. At layer 2 the Ethernet packets are all the same, as
        >far as dumb layer 2 devices are concerned (this applies to anything that
        >used 10Base2, 10Base5 or 10BaseT).

        Pretty much so...