Re: S-100 at VCF-E

  • s100doctor
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 25, 2012
      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "dfnr2" <dfnr2@...> wrote:

      > How about a retrospective on floppies/mass storage for S100 systems; what it was like for the early adopters, vs. the slicker solutions for the later masses.
      >
      > I will admit it's a bit of a selfish suggestion, since I've been about that stuff lately. But I am thinking it would be of general interest.
      >
      > Dave

      I have Web pages about early floppy controller designs, including the first ones for S-100 and micros - some were previously for minicomputers. Noodle around retrotechnology.com for those pages.

      I don't explicitly explore hard disk controllers, but certainly S-100 had its share of two-board hard drive controllers. I won't likely bring any S-100 systems with working hard drives, but I may bring some board sets. I simply don't rely on decades-old S-100 hard drives - programs are small enough and my use so modest, that floppy drives are adequate for me. Those are a challenge to keep running, even the media is failing with age.

      Herb Johnson
      at retrotechnology.com