Ethernet to RS-232 converter?

  • Ray Sills
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 23, 2006
      Hi Gang:

      Does anyone know if there is such a thing as an ethernet to RS-232
      converter? Some sort of black box?

      I believe I've seen USB to RS-232 converters.. perhaps in Radio Shack.

      73 de Ray
      K2ULR
      FN20tl
    • Bob Applegate
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 23, 2006
        Sure.  They're typically called terminal servers.  They aren't as popular as they once were,
        but they were dead common.  For a really fancy one, a Cisco 2511 is great (used them
        commercially for years).  You can probably find term servers on eBay pretty cheap.

        Basically, you can telnet to their IP address, then use the port number to indicate which
        physical port to connect to.  Here in our labs (commercial environment), we've got dozens
        of Equinox ELS-II term servers to allow us to access the serial ports (consoles) of hundreds
        of workstations.

        From the other side, you can usually config the term server to automatically telnet to a
        specific address whenever an RS-232 signal is present, or present a menu of choices for
        what to connect to.

        Bob

        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 23, 2006
          Ray Sills wrote:
          > Does anyone know if there is such a thing as an ethernet to RS-232
          > converter? Some sort of black box?

          Yes. It's called a "Serial Print Server".

          Peace... Sridhar
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 24, 2006
            Ray,

            If you want to connect a computer to your network using the computer's RS-232
            port, that would be extremely difficult. The computer would need to emulate
            all of the functionality in the chip on the network interface card which
            would require a lot of clock cycles.

            A better option would be to set up your server for dial-up access (remote
            access service or RAS in Windows terms) and then connect to the server using
            the older computer's modem or possibly a direct null-modem connection to the
            server's RS-232.

            Jim