card separators/risers: still looking...

    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 23, 2006
      Hi -
      I searched for card separators on Digikey, Code Micro, or Jameco (some
      people call them "risers.") - no specific luck. I have emailed them for
      assistance. In the mean time...

      As I wrote before I am trying to install a small computer board on top of a
      computer motherboard, so that the smaller board is about 9/16" separated
      from the motherboard. There is not much clearance and I want to just make
      it a few hairs above the IC's on the motherboard or I can't close the lid
      of the computer. (It's a Commodore B 700 hi-profile) There are holes in
      both boards that line up for the risers (the small board is made to be
      attached to the motherboard with risers). Radio Shack's card
      separators/risers are either too short or too tall. The card
      separators/risers have screw holes on either end so that you can fasten
      them to the boards.

      I don't recall who it was who used to work at Radio Shack in this group and
      who said that this part does indeed exist in the Radio Shack catalog - can
      you help me? Their site did not return any results.

      Does anyone in this group have four 9/16" risers that they'd like to sell
      or trade me? I actually found two in my stuff, but I need four of the same
      height. If anyone would like a picture to get a better idea of what I
      need, let me know.

      I am going to post this on classiccmp and vintage-computer.com/

      Bill Degnan
    • Bob Applegate
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 23, 2006
        These aren't exactly .5625" (9/16s), but close...

        There are lots of spacers on the Jameco site, unless I'm misunderstanding what you're looking for...

        Bob

        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 23, 2006
          Upon further thought, if you need exactly 9/16ths, then you might have to fabricate
          them yourself.  Consider small PVC (found in some hobby shops, especially ones
          that sell to the model RRing folks) cut to length.  Now use a standard machine screw
          that is just large enough to "grab" and you've got a custom-length spacer.

          Not elegant, but if it's a homebrew system, then homebrewing your hardware just
          continues with the theme, ;-)

          Bob

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 23, 2006
            Bill,

            Assuming that you are looking for standoffs, I have a bunch of them.
            Either aluminum or nylon. I seem to have 1/2" and 3/4". Are you
            looking for ones that are threaded inside, or not? Are you looking
            for ones that are round or hexagonal on the outside? If threaded,
            then #4 or #6 thread?

            http://www.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Criteria?Ref=46083&Site=US&Cat=32703580

            If you use the above link (you may have to unwrap it)
            it should take you to Digi-key's standoff selection page.
            Lots of choices.

            Are you looking for the little nylon things that have a part sticking
            out of each end that compresses to fit through a hole in a pc bd?
            If so, then Digi-Key won't have those. I've never seen them for sale.

            Bob Grieb

            --- "B. Degnan" <billdeg@...> wrote:

            > Hi -
            > I searched for card separators on Digikey, Code Micro, or Jameco
            > (some
            > people call them "risers.") - no specific luck. I have emailed them
            > for
            > assistance. In the mean time...
            >
            > As I wrote before I am trying to install a small computer board on
            > top of a
            > computer motherboard, so that the smaller board is about 9/16"
            > separated
            > from the motherboard. There is not much clearance and I want to just
            > make
            > it a few hairs above the IC's on the motherboard or I can't close the
            > lid
            > of the computer. (It's a Commodore B 700 hi-profile) There are
            > holes in
            > both boards that line up for the risers (the small board is made to
            > be
            > attached to the motherboard with risers). Radio Shack's card
            > separators/risers are either too short or too tall. The card
            > separators/risers have screw holes on either end so that you can
            > fasten
            > them to the boards.
            >
            > I don't recall who it was who used to work at Radio Shack in this
            > group and
            > who said that this part does indeed exist in the Radio Shack catalog
            > - can
            > you help me? Their site did not return any results.
            >
            > Does anyone in this group have four 9/16" risers that they'd like to
            > sell
            > or trade me? I actually found two in my stuff, but I need four of
            > the same
            > height. If anyone would like a picture to get a better idea of what
            > need, let me know.
            >
            > I am going to post this on classiccmp and vintage-computer.com/
            >
            > Bill Degnan

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Bob Grieb
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 25, 2006
              Bill,

              I checked my parts stock. I can easily spare
              four of any of these:

              1) 1/2" long hexagonal threaded alum standoff/spacer 4-40 threads
              2) 1/2" long hexagonal threaded alum standoff/spacer 6-32 threads
              3) 1/2' long hexagonal threaded nylon standoff/spacer 6-32 threads

              If any of these works for you, just let me know and I will
              be happy to send you 4 in an envelope.

              Bob Grieb

              http://mail.yahoo.com