re: [midatlanticretro] from my archives

    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 4 8:25 PM
      I wonder if these will work on the Decmate II at InfoAge?

      Bill Degnan

      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 4 9:31 PM
        The test disk should be directly bootable. The CP/M disk should boot
        if you have the CP/M option board installed. I don't recall if the
        overview disks are self-bootable or not.

        -Dave

        On 04/04/2012 11:25 PM, B. Degnan wrote:
        > I wonder if these will work on the Decmate II at InfoAge?
        >
        > Bill Degnan

        Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 5 4:58 AM
          Dave,there are probably with March's that's what I meant.
          --
          Sent from my PDP 8/e.
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 5 6:51 AM
            All,

            Disregard my last email, my phone "fixed" the spelling for me rending
            my email pointless jibberish.

            Let me try again...

            This weekend I spoke with Evan about the DecMate II at InfoAge. We
            have an initialization disk, but the system hangs when attempting to
            boot. He called to ask me for suggestions to resolve. I asked Evan
            to inspect the diskette he was using and he said it may have a ring
            where the oxide particles have been scratched off. I did not see the
            disk for myself, but we all know that this is one of the things that
            happens with old media.

            Jeff Jonas' new find of different boot disks may work but please
            first clean the drives and heads first. I am not sure how a DecMate
            II drive works, and it may not be as simple as throwing in a 8" disk
            cleaner, so determine the process for cleaning before you do anything..

            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 5 6:53 AM
              >> it may not be as simple as throwing in a 8" disk cleaner

              I guarantee that won't work: its drives are 5.25......
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 5 7:05 AM
                At 09:53 AM 4/5/2012, you wrote:
                > >> it may not be as simple as throwing in a 8" disk cleaner
                >
                >I guarantee that won't work: its drives are 5.25......

                lol...that's right, I mean 5 1/4"

                Or you could fold the disk, maybe that will work.
              • Mr Ian Primus
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 5 7:15 AM
                  --- On Thu, 4/5/12, B Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:
                  > I am not sure
                  > how a DecMate
                  > II drive works, and it may not be as simple as throwing in a
                  > 8" disk
                  > cleaner, so determine the process for cleaning before you do
                  > anything..

                  Throwing in an 8" disk cleaner is not going to be simple at all... you'd either have to fold it up or trim it down to get it to fit into the 5 1/4" drive on the DecMate II ;)

                  But seriously, the DecMate II has a weird floppy drive(s). Both the heads are on the same assembly, and both drives share a spindle motor. So you have to put the disk in the bottom drive upside down.

                  -Ian
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 5 8:22 AM
                    On 04/05/2012 10:15 AM, Mr Ian Primus wrote:
                    >> I am not sure how a DecMate II drive works, and it may not be as
                    >> simple as throwing in a 8" disk cleaner, so determine the process
                    >> for cleaning before you do anything..
                    >
                    > Throwing in an 8" disk cleaner is not going to be simple at all...
                    > you'd either have to fold it up or trim it down to get it to fit into
                    > the 5 1/4" drive on the DecMate II ;)
                    >
                    > But seriously, the DecMate II has a weird floppy drive(s). Both the
                    > heads are on the same assembly, and both drives share a spindle
                    > motor. So you have to put the disk in the bottom drive upside down.

                    Those RX50s aren't weird, they're dirt common in the DEC world! ;)
                    They are effectively single-sided, quad density. 400K capacity. It's
                    two drives that share a single spindle motor and head positioning
                    mechanism. And they have a VERY distinctive sound.

                    The only potential issue with a head cleaning disk is that the
                    pressure pad (made of felt) may get ground up by the head cleaning disk.
                    It's safer to get a long swab, soaked in >=91% alcohol, and reach in to
                    clean the heads. It's not difficult and takes only a moment.

                    Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                    New Kensington, PA
                  • David Gesswein
                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 5 9:11 AM
                      On Thu, Apr 05, 2012 at 11:22:15AM -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:
                      > The only potential issue with a head cleaning disk is that the
                      > pressure pad (made of felt) may get ground up by the head cleaning disk.
                      > It's safer to get a long swab, soaked in >=91% alcohol, and reach in to
                      > clean the heads. It's not difficult and takes only a moment.

                      Warning, the adheisive that holds the felt on may not be very good so try
                      to avoid hitting it. I've been battling trying to get some good boot
                      disks to send to Evan and decided to see if cleaning the DECmate heads
                      helped. Knocked the felt pad off when the swab hit it. DECmate's are nice to
                      get into, removing cover and drive doesn't require tools. I managed to find
                      the pad and glue it back on. Heads were dirty but only marginally improved
                      things.

                      Since DECmate's can't format disks I have made them in the past with PUTR
                      on a PC but now they don't wan't to reliably boot this time. I've tried
                      multiple drives and disks so next will be a different PC. When all done it
                      I'll probably find out I had just forgotten the /makegooddisks option and
                      the PC was fine.
                      Message 10 of 12 , Apr 5 12:44 PM
                        On 04/05/2012 12:11 PM, David Gesswein wrote:
                        >> The only potential issue with a head cleaning disk is that the
                        >> pressure pad (made of felt) may get ground up by the head cleaning disk.
                        >> It's safer to get a long swab, soaked in >=91% alcohol, and reach in to
                        >> clean the heads. It's not difficult and takes only a moment.
                        >>
                        > Warning, the adheisive that holds the felt on may not be very good so try
                        > to avoid hitting it. I've been battling trying to get some good boot
                        > disks to send to Evan and decided to see if cleaning the DECmate heads
                        > helped. Knocked the felt pad off when the swab hit it. DECmate's are nice to
                        > get into, removing cover and drive doesn't require tools. I managed to find
                        > the pad and glue it back on. Heads were dirty but only marginally improved
                        > things.

                        Not hitting surrounding parts when swabbing the heads is always good
                        advice. ;)

                        > Since DECmate's can't format disks I have made them in the past with PUTR
                        > on a PC but now they don't wan't to reliably boot this time. I've tried
                        > multiple drives and disks so next will be a different PC. When all done it
                        > I'll probably find out I had just forgotten the /makegooddisks option and
                        > the PC was fine.

                        ;)

                        Hey, did you see my off-list mail, by the way?

                        Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                        New Kensington, PA
                      • Jeff Jonas
                        Message 11 of 12 , Apr 5 7:08 PM
                          I'm still looking for my 5.25" floppy drive cleaning disks. One might still have the cover on the back for single sided drives, else I'll have to improvise a cover so the felt pad doesn't touch the rotating cleaning disk.

                          There are ways for Linux to read and copy RX50 floppies, but I don't currently have a floppy drive on my Linux system because there's no available drive bay :-(