Re: [midatlanticretro] Question about prom burners

  • Bob Applegate
    Message 1 of 33 , Apr 4 11:14 AM
      > Thanks. THe eprom burner that I had been using was different, this is a
      > "newer" one, makes sense.
      >
      > 1. clear the burner memory
      > 2. insert prom in slot and read
      > 3. examine memory to see what's in there...I should see the code of the
      > prom starting from 0000
      > 4. upload the burner memory via serial port and save.
      > 5. minor formatting to file
      > 6. set offset on burner to match desired location (I am unsure about this
      > part - if I want the data to go to e000 what would be the offset?

      Not likely. The 2K EPROM doesn't have such an address. What is the
      starting address of the EPROM in the target system? Your offset is
      relative to that.

      > 7. download file to burner memory
      > 8. burn prom from burner memory

      You can probably copy the contents of the EPROM into the burner's memory,
      move it, then burn a new EPROM. Much easier than sending back to a file
      and editing it.

      Bob
      Message 33 of 33 , Apr 9 11:27 AM

        > > What Serial card did you use with this set up? Do you have the
        > > disks? I would love to archive these for posterity. I have a
        > > northstar system set up and/or I could replicate the
        > > Altair/Northstar set up. There are others in this group that could
        > > do this as well, not sure if you wrote where you're from.
        > >
        > > Bill
        > > landenberg, PA
        > >

        >Bill:
        >Terry here. If these questions were to me, I don't remember what
        >serial card that I used back then (I've used many). But, I do have
        >a box (either Xerox box or similar size) of N* floppies still around
        >here somewhere. Plus, I should have some docs on that old
        >system. I will look around.
        >Terry

        Terry,
        Thanks. I have among other projects been working to use a North* MDS
        controller operate within an Altair system. I also have a working
        Northstar Horizon system that runs N* and N* CP/M. On my Altair I am
        using a 2SIO card. I have found indirect docs on how to personalize
        N* DOS for the Altair 2SIO card, but so far I have not been able to
        make it work. Any details of your version of N* DOS would be useful,
        and/or a few representative disks.

        If you were looking for a home for some of/all of the disks, I would
        work with our club members to get CBBS running again.