Re: [midatlanticretro] Question about prom burners

  • Bob Applegate
    Message 1 of 33 , Apr 4, 2012
      > It's the hardware that selects where the EPROM sits. The $0000 is a
      > reference the to first location of the EPROM.

      Absolutely correct. The programmer hasn't a clue where the EPROM might
      appear in the memory map of whatever device it will be plugged into. All
      offsets are relative to the start of the EPROM.

      Some programmers allow you to select an offset so reading a file with
      addresses like E000 can be mapped to the right physical location in the
      EPROM. ie, the programmer can be told that address E000 is actually 0000
      and it will do the mapping for you.

      I seem to remember using an assembler with an external tool to translate
      the assembler's unique output file format to standard formats, and one of
      the options was to tell it where to place the hex file output; it didn't
      change the code, but would change the base address in the file to make it
      easier to read into programmers.

      Bob
      Message 33 of 33 , Apr 9, 2012

        > > What Serial card did you use with this set up? Do you have the
        > > disks? I would love to archive these for posterity. I have a
        > > northstar system set up and/or I could replicate the
        > > Altair/Northstar set up. There are others in this group that could
        > > do this as well, not sure if you wrote where you're from.
        > >
        > > Bill
        > > landenberg, PA
        > >

        >Bill:
        >Terry here. If these questions were to me, I don't remember what
        >serial card that I used back then (I've used many). But, I do have
        >a box (either Xerox box or similar size) of N* floppies still around
        >here somewhere. Plus, I should have some docs on that old
        >system. I will look around.
        >Terry

        Terry,
        Thanks. I have among other projects been working to use a North* MDS
        controller operate within an Altair system. I also have a working
        Northstar Horizon system that runs N* and N* CP/M. On my Altair I am
        using a 2SIO card. I have found indirect docs on how to personalize
        N* DOS for the Altair 2SIO card, but so far I have not been able to
        make it work. Any details of your version of N* DOS would be useful,
        and/or a few representative disks.

        If you were looking for a home for some of/all of the disks, I would
        work with our club members to get CBBS running again.