Re: [midatlanticretro] Question about prom burners

    Message 1 of 33 , Apr 4, 2012

      > > My question - I can access the unit and get the menu, I have the
      commands
      > > to read the prom and such, but it seems like this thing can only check
      > > what's in 0000 -->
      > >
      > > I am experimenting with the thing to try to dump what's in E000 (the
      > > Northstar Monitor 2716 eProm), but I can't seem to get the device to
      know
      > > where to look. Anyone work with one of these?
      > >
      > > I will take my answer off the air, thank you.
      >
      > It's the hardware that selects where the EPROM sits. The $0000 is a
      > reference the to first location of the EPROM.
      >
      > I think a 2716 is a 2K EPROM (8 x 2 = 16 hence 2716), 2K = $0000 thru
      $07FF

      > $0000
      > :
      > :
      > $7FFF
      > :
      > $E000 -\
      > : +-> ERPOM Sits here ($0000 - $07FF offset $E000)
      > $E7FF -/
      > :
      > $FFFF
      >
      > $0000 - $FFFF 64K address space of the Z80/8080/8085 processor

      Thanks. THe eprom burner that I had been using was different, this is a
      "newer" one, makes sense.

      1. clear the burner memory
      2. insert prom in slot and read
      3. examine memory to see what's in there...I should see the code of the
      prom starting from 0000
      4. upload the burner memory via serial port and save.
      5. minor formatting to file
      6. set offset on burner to match desired location (I am unsure about this
      part - if I want the data to go to e000 what would be the offset?
      7. download file to burner memory
      8. burn prom from burner memory

      yes?
      Message 33 of 33 , Apr 9, 2012

        > > What Serial card did you use with this set up? Do you have the
        > > disks? I would love to archive these for posterity. I have a
        > > northstar system set up and/or I could replicate the
        > > Altair/Northstar set up. There are others in this group that could
        > > do this as well, not sure if you wrote where you're from.
        > >
        > > Bill
        > > landenberg, PA
        > >

        >Bill:
        >Terry here. If these questions were to me, I don't remember what
        >serial card that I used back then (I've used many). But, I do have
        >a box (either Xerox box or similar size) of N* floppies still around
        >here somewhere. Plus, I should have some docs on that old
        >system. I will look around.
        >Terry

        Terry,
        Thanks. I have among other projects been working to use a North* MDS
        controller operate within an Altair system. I also have a working
        Northstar Horizon system that runs N* and N* CP/M. On my Altair I am
        using a 2SIO card. I have found indirect docs on how to personalize
        N* DOS for the Altair 2SIO card, but so far I have not been able to
        make it work. Any details of your version of N* DOS would be useful,
        and/or a few representative disks.

        If you were looking for a home for some of/all of the disks, I would
        work with our club members to get CBBS running again.