Re: [midatlanticretro] 25yrs of OS2

  • Bob Applegate
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 2, 2012
      > I know there are some people who are OS2 collectors
      > http://techland.time.com/2012/04/02/25-years-of-ibms-os2-the-birth-death-and-afterlife-of-a-legendary-operating-system/

      I had friends working on it at Microsoft and gave one of them a T-shirt
      that said:

      What are we writing?
      OS/2!

      When will it be ready?
      Real soon!

      Fans of Buckaroo Banzai will get the reference.

      We were looking at using it as the "under the hood" OS for a project we
      were working on because it was way ahead of Windows in terms of
      capabilities we needed, but decided that writing code for Windows and
      working around the quirks would be easier.

      Bob
    • Christopher Blackmon
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 2, 2012
        My senior design project in college was writing a web browser for OS/2 warp using IBM Smalltalk for OS/2....
        wow that was a long time ago.

        Christopher.

        I know there are some people who are OS2 collectors
        http://techland.time.com/2012/04/02/25-years-of-ibms-os2-the-birth-death-and-afterlife-of-a-legendary-operating-system/

      • Rolf Levenbach
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 2, 2012
          I have a friend in Lawrenceville who wants to get rid of some OS/2 magazines. If anyone is interested, I can either give them his email address or I can pick them up and give them to the lucky person at VCF East.

          Rolf L.