5v DC wall wart anyone?

  • Evan
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 19, 2006
      I need one. Thanks.

    • Evan
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 20, 2006

        Oops .... I need 250ma ... Tip doesn't matter because I'm just going to cut it off anyway ... Not sure about polarity ... The application is my Apple 1 Replica (details at

        http://www.brielcomputers.com/).

        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 21, 2006
          Evan,
          Isn't there an electronics shop near by you? They are not for sale
          at Radio Shack (I checked), but a full-service shop will have a whole
          asle of power packs. I would suggest that you get a new one because
          of what you're attaching it to.
          Bill

          At Tuesday, 21 February 2006, you wrote:

          >Oops .... I need 250ma ... Tip doesn't matter because I'm just going
          to cut
          >it off anyway ... Not sure about polarity ... The application is
          my Apple 1
          >Replica (details at http://www.brielcomputers.com/).

          >From: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
          >[mailto:midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of
          >EvanSent: Monday, February 20, 2006 2:05 AMTo:
          >midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.comSubject: [midatlanticretro] 5v DC
          >wall wart anyone?
          >I need one.
          >Thanks.-----------------------------------------Evan Koblentz's
          >personal homepage: http://www.snarc.netComputer Collector
          >Newsletter:>> http://news.computercollector.comMid-Atlantic
          >Retro Computing Hobbyists & Museum:>> http://www.marchclub.org>>

          > Vintage computer
          >
          > Computer security
          >
          > Computer training
          >
          > Field trip

          -- E N D --
        • Bryan Pope
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 21, 2006
            Degnan wrote:
            > Evan,
            > Isn't there an electronics shop near by you? They are not for sale
            > at Radio Shack (I checked), but a full-service shop will have a whole
            > asle of power packs. I would suggest that you get a new one because
            > of what you're attaching it to.
            > Bill

            Actually there is one - 273.1696 ($27.99). It has a switch on it that
            allows you to select 5 volts. There is also 273-1742 ($2.99) which
            plugs into this and has two bare wires on the other side.

            Cheers,

            Bryan

            P.S. I used to work at RS...
          • Bob Grieb
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 21, 2006
              Evan,

              I have some higher voltage adapters that can provide that much
              current. 9V, 12V, etc. I don't keep the lower voltage ones,
              as they are not as useful. You would need to add a voltage regulator,
              and probably a small heatsink, to get 5V. If you want to go that way,
              I'll send you one for the postage. Probably better to just buy a
              5V one if you can find something locally. Jameco has a great selection
              of AC adapters. www.jameco.com They have a 1A and a 600 mA 5V for
              $10.50 Make sure you get a regulated adapter. The cheapers ones are
              not regulated and will put out a much higher voltage if the load is
              less than they are rated for.

              Bob Grieb

              --- Evan <evan947@...> wrote:

              > Oops .... I need 250ma ... Tip doesn't matter because I'm just going
              > to cut
              > it off anyway ... Not sure about polarity ... The application is my
              > Apple 1
              > Replica (details at <http://www.brielcomputers.com/>
              > http://www.brielcomputers.com/).
              >

              > _____

              =Computer+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Field+trip&c=4&s=84&.sig=yQK66sIa
              > fWZWnP-61n_BTQ> computer Computer

              2=Computer+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Field+trip&c=4&s=84&.sig=bvgAN5E
              > Yj4oAGQSA29LvCw> security Computer

              2=Computer+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Field+trip&c=4&s=84&.sig=E3VSZZU
              > ZIYQJD2FP1DwFdw> training
              > Field

              ter+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Field+trip&c=4&s=84&.sig=6Bps2Ok95uCsZL
              > SwdHWZfg> trip
              >
              > _____
              >
              > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
              >

              > * Visit your group "midatlanticretro

              > Service
              > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
              >

              > _____

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • Evan
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 21, 2006
                Thanks everyone for the replies and off-list offers.  I'm in no hurry (vs. other projects) so it'll be a while before I decide what to do.

                 - EK

                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 21, 2006
                  are not their plans for a simple 5 v. p/s in the files
                  section? It would be easier to just build one. But if
                  you're looking to power a microprocessor circuit, you
                  might need a switcher - can anyone say peecee clone?
                  But if the circuit is primitive enough, the current
                  demands may not change that much (during computations
                  duh), so a linear source of power might do. Maybe
                  someone more knowledgeable of the subject can comment
                  if I botched it up.

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • Evan
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 21, 2006
                    The plans in the files section are for the 7205 circuit.  I tried building that a few months ago and only succeeded in frying my expensive LCD screen.  (Seriously, it fried!  I must've shorted something between I heard extended hissing and popping noises and then the smoke and sparked started flying.  It would've been a pretty cool light show actually, if it weren't mine!  So now I'm in the market for a new headrest-sized LCD screen.)

                    --- Evan <evan947@...> wrote:

                    > Thanks everyone for the replies and off-list
                    offers.
                    >  I'm in no hurry (vs.
                    > other projects) so it'll be a
                    while before I decide
                    > what to do.

                    >  -
                    EK

                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 24, 2006
                      Evan,

                      It isn't called a "smoke test" for nothing! MCM and mpja.com are good sources
                      for small LCDs.

                      Jim

                      BTW, someone was looking for an RF modulator some time back. Check this:
                      http://www.mpja.com/category/Unique_Items/A_V_MODULATOR_SWITCH_16044_MI.asp

                    • Mike Loewen
                      Message 10 of 10 , Feb 24, 2006
                        On Fri, 24 Feb 2006, Jim Scheef wrote:

                        > It isn't called a "smoke test" for nothing! MCM and mpja.com are good sources
                        > for small LCDs.

                        Many years ago, I did a tour in the Air Force keeping the air defense
                        computers running at McChord AFB. I was working as a shift supervisor one
                        evening, keeping an eye on a couple of my guys who were replacing a 5V,
                        200A power supply in one of the display consoles. You know, the kind you
                        can weld with? The Senior Director (SD) came down and asked how it was
                        going. The guys were just finishing up reconnecting the wiring, so I told
                        him we were just about ready for a smoke test. Sure enough, they turned
                        it on, and the magic smoke came out!

                        It seems that while connecting one of the main 5V leads, they managed
                        to pinch a sensor wire underneath it, and it cooked. Nothing serious, but
                        we didn't joke about "smoke tests" for a while.

                        Mike Loewen mloewen@...