Re: [midatlanticretro] Power for Exhibitors

    Message 1 of 24 , Mar 29, 2012
      >> That didn't work out so good last time

      No, I mean a few years back; you weren't there. We had extra circuits put in. MARCH can afford this; it's not a huge deal.
      Message 2 of 24 , Mar 29, 2012
        On 03/29/2012 09:55 AM, Mr Ian Primus wrote:
        >> The short answer is no. But, just like we did several years ago,
        >> we're allowed to have an electrician install temporary power if
        >> needed.
        >
        > That didn't work out so good last time. Some real improvements to the
        > wiring really need to be made if anyone wants to bring any large
        > machines to exhibit and actually run.

        [raises hand]

        Umm, yes!

        > I would really like to see some dedicated, high current circuits
        > installed in the exhibit halls. Perhaps we could take up a collection
        > for some power improvements? I would really like to see us able to
        > have minicomputers and other large iron there at the show. Don't get
        > me wrong, I love microcomputers too, but... :D

        Yeah really. I'd kick in a few bucks.

        Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
        New Kensington, PA
      • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
        Message 3 of 24 , Mar 29, 2012
          Mr Ian Primus <ian_primus@...> writes:

          >no. But, just like we did several years > ago, we're allowed to have an
          >electrician install temporary > power if needed.
          >
          >That didn't work out so good last time. Some real improvements to the
          >wiring really need to be made if anyone wants to bring any large
          >machines to exhibit and actually run.

          208/3ph. throughout from which you can derive anything you need! Save
          for common 120V NEMA-15/20 circuits (common household like stuff), the
          208/3ph would allow 120V, 240V and the 208/3ph. The latter was quite
          common for the early/mid era minis.
          Message 4 of 24 , Mar 29, 2012

            >I will this weekend. Have any power improvements been made? Last time I was
            >in there we had two or maybe three working circuits for the room, and one
            >with a bad ground. On the second day I was able to find another circuit
            >near the door and power my exhibit with a 100' extension cord. If the
            >wiring hasn't been upgrade can someone use an outlet tester and verify
            >which outlets are good and which breaker they are on? (labels on outlets
            >or map would be good) The bad circuit the ground neon bulb was not fully on.

            If you're bringing a mini or something with special power
            requirements, please try to arrive Friday night for electrical
            testing and set up. All the talk and prep in the world will not
            *prove* you have what you need until you test your space with your
            load in this environment. It will be too late Saturday morning for
            all that. If you can't, you can't, but try.

            It would be ideal if we had an electrician around who can stop by
            (even a paid one) Friday night for this purpose just to be sure
            everything is OK. Last year we had no special power requirements as
            everything except Dave's systems were small. With all 20+ or so
            exhibits in just the one room including larger ones - I'd rather be
            pleasantly surprised that there are no problems rather than violently
            surprised when there are.

            ...and this means we MARCH people running the show will have to work
            something out. I expect Evan has already done some of this leg
            work. Send me your specs and I will coordinate with Evan and the
            InfoAge electrician(s). If you don't send specs then don't get upset
            if you're not allowed to turn everything on at the expense of the
            others who have given us enough time to prepare.

            Bill
          • Jeffrey Brace
            Message 5 of 24 , Apr 20, 2012