Looking to borrow a 70's era TV with mechanical tuner for VCF 8.0 exhibit

  • Mike
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 29, 2012
      in the range of 13" - 19" - must be working

      They are harder to find than you would think - most of them apparently have found their way to the landfill by now.

      Thanks,
      Mike Willegal
    • Dan Roganti
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 29, 2012

        On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 9:07 AM, Mike <mike@...> wrote:
        in the range of 13" - 19" - must be working

        They are harder to find than you would think - most of them apparently have found their way to the landfill by now.

        I have a few here, you can borrow one, ping me this weekend, so I can dust them off, since the move I need to check them again anyway.
        =Dan

      • Mr Ian Primus
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 29, 2012
          --- On Thu, 3/29/12, Dan Roganti <ragooman@...> wrote:

          >> They are harder to find than you would think - most of them apparently
          >> have found their way to the landfill by now.
          >

          > I have a few here, you can borrow one, ping me this weekend, so I can
          > dust them off, since the move I need to check them again anyway.=Dan

          I have several working ones as well - if Dan doesn't find anything, I most definitely can bring one/two/three. Color or black and white? Any preference on screen size? Tube or solid state? :D

          -Ian
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 29, 2012
            At 09:07 AM 3/29/2012, you wrote:
            >in the range of 13" - 19" - must be working
            >
            >They are harder to find than you would think - most of them
            >apparently have found their way to the landfill by now.
            >
            >Thanks,
            >Mike Willegal

            For my VCF 5 Exhibit a few years ago of a Apple II with original
            1969 Sony portable color TV ...
            http://vintagecomputer.net/vcf5/VCFE5_appleII-c.JPG
            ...I too had a lot of trouble finding one, more than anything else on
            the table! Unfortunately the TV flips and pops every few minutes,
            not suitable for a full day demo. Otherwise I'd offer to loan it to you.

            Bill
          • Mike
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 29, 2012
              forgot to mention I need color - solid state is probably preferable, since it might be less likely to quit or be harmed by being moved around. Anything between 13-19" is fine.

              I believe I used 19" back in the day. My stepfather had a business that manufactured components (coils and such) for Zenith and other electronics companies and he gave me a set that I think they used in engineering for testing prototypes.

              Regards,
              Mike Willegal

              > --- On Thu, 3/29/12, Dan Roganti <ragooman@...> wrote:
              >
              > >> They are harder to find than you would think - most of them apparently
              > >> have found their way to the landfill by now.
              > >

              > > I have a few here, you can borrow one, ping me this weekend, so I can
              > > dust them off, since the move I need to check them again anyway.=Dan
              >
              > I have several working ones as well - if Dan doesn't find anything, I most definitely can bring one/two/three. Color or black and white? Any preference on screen size? Tube or solid state? :D
              >
              > -Ian

            • Bob Schwier
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 29, 2012
                I have one upstairs.  I'll post the details when I get home.
                bs

                forgot to mention I need color - solid state is probably preferable, since it might be less likely to quit or be harmed by being moved around. Anything between 13-19" is fine.

                I believe I used 19" back in the day. My stepfather had a business that manufactured components (coils and such) for Zenith and other electronics companies and he gave me a set that I think they used in engineering for testing prototypes.

                Regards,
                Mike Willegal

                > --- On Thu, 3/29/12, Dan Roganti <ragooman@...> wrote:
                >
                > >> They are harder to find than you would think - most of them apparently
                > >> have found their way to the landfill by now.
                > >

                > > I have a few here, you can borrow one, ping me this weekend, so I can
                > > dust them off, since the move I need to check them again anyway.=Dan
                >
                > I have several working ones as well - if Dan doesn't find anything, I most definitely can bring one/two/three. Color or black and white? Any preference on screen size? Tube or solid state? :D
                >
                > -Ian

              • Matt Patoray
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 29, 2012
                  Bill,

                  What model Sony is that? The 12" KV-1210 is the first Trinitron and is rare today. If I was coming I would bring my CVM-1211 monitor/receiver from 1972.

                  I will be at the Early Television Foundation annual convention as it is the same weekend as VCF.

                  Matt

                  Sent from my iPhone

                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 30, 2012
                    There are a lot if pics of the tv in vintagecomputer.net/apple/appleii/ Maybe you can determine from your experience ... there is no model plate or number. Somehow I determined it was a 1969 model Trinitron maybe by looking for component date codes.
                    --
                    Sent from my PDP 8/e.