Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: VCF East reference:

    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 28, 2012
      On 03/28/2012 09:41 AM, rarecoinbuyer wrote:
      > Yeah, hamfest is new to me. I first heard about them on the computer
      > group quite recently.

      Oh man. I've been going to hamfests since I was eight years old. (35
      years!)

      > I assumed it was for shortwave radio components
      > and such.

      Well...more "ham radio" gear; "shortwave" is a fairly nondescriptive
      term that, while technically it does apply here, really doesn't get the
      point across.

      > But I guess computers and other digital stuff can be found
      > as well.

      Yes; this has (almost) always been the case, since the dawn of
      computing. Ham radio goes back well over 100 years, as do hamfests; but
      when computers appeared on the scene they began to meld together quite
      nicely. And they still do. The rise of eBay has really turned hamfests
      into a shadow of their former glory, though.

      > I am very familiar with the C64 in that I use an emulator on my PC
      > that seems to work well. I enjoy programming the 6502 in the C64
      > environment. I also had friends that owned C64s way back in the day.
      > I remember well playing Jumpman.
      >
      > As good as the C64 emulator is, I suspect it does not sound like a
      > real C64. My big interest in the C64 is digital music and it's SID
      > chip.

      Eh, emulation. It's handy for getting things done, like building
      software loads and stuff (I use them all the time for that, mostly in
      the PDP-8 and PDP-11 world), but when you come right down to it,
      it's...an emulation. It's handy on your laptop in an airplane or at a
      hotel, but it will never match the real thing in terms of user experience.

      > Headed back to Arizona for the summer before VCF but I'll check out a
      > hamfest when I get back in the fall. Thanks for the info.

      Definitely do! Good luck!

      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
      New Kensington, PA
    • Bill Sudbrink
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 29, 2012
        Dave McGuire wrote:
        > Oh man. I've been going to hamfests since I was eight years old.
        > (35 years!)

        I'm really looking forward to meeting you in person at the VCF.
        I went to my first hamfest at about ten. Anyway, are you (or
        any other MARCHers) coming to Timonium this Saturday?

        Bill S.
      • David Gesswein
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 29, 2012
          On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 07:56:50AM -0400, Bill Sudbrink wrote:
          > Dave McGuire wrote:
          > > Oh man. I've been going to hamfests since I was eight years old.
          > > (35 years!)
          >
          > I'm really looking forward to meeting you in person at the VCF.
          > I went to my first hamfest at about ten. Anyway, are you (or
          > any other MARCHers) coming to Timonium this Saturday?

          I'll be their.
        • J. Alexander Jacocks
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 29, 2012
            On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 8:08 AM, David Gesswein <djg@...> wrote:

            On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 07:56:50AM -0400, Bill Sudbrink wrote:
            > Dave McGuire wrote:
            > > Oh man. I've been going to hamfests since I was eight years old.
            > > (35 years!)
            >
            > I'm really looking forward to meeting you in person at the VCF.
            > I went to my first hamfest at about ten. Anyway, are you (or
            > any other MARCHers) coming to Timonium this Saturday?

            I'll be their.

            I'll be they're.  :-)

            Seriously, my wife, my friend Jonathan, and I will have a vendor table inside the Cow Palace, as we have had every year, for at lest the past seven years.  Drop by and say hello!

            - Alex
          • J. Alexander Jacocks
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 29, 2012
              On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 8:50 AM, J. Alexander Jacocks <jjacocks@...> wrote:
              > On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 8:08 AM, David Gesswein <djg@...> wrote:

              >> > I'm really looking forward to meeting you in person at the VCF.
              >> > I went to my first hamfest at about ten. Anyway, are you (or
              >> > any other MARCHers) coming to Timonium this Saturday?
              >> >
              >> I'll be their.
              >

              > I'll be they're.  :-)
              >
              > Seriously, my wife, my friend Jonathan, and I will have a vendor table
              > inside the Cow Palace, as we have had every year, for at lest the past seven
              > years.  Drop by and say hello!

              I'm tired today, so I didn't think to say that I'll put a sign on my
              table, with my name, so that anyone who hasn't met me will know who we
              are.

              - Alex
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 29, 2012
                On 03/29/2012 07:56 AM, Bill Sudbrink wrote:
                > Dave McGuire wrote:
                >> Oh man. I've been going to hamfests since I was eight years old.
                >> (35 years!)
                >
                > I'm really looking forward to meeting you in person at the VCF.

                Likewise!!

                > I went to my first hamfest at about ten. Anyway, are you (or
                > any other MARCHers) coming to Timonium this Saturday?

                Sadly not; I'm under the gun to get this new controller finished for work.

                I do miss Timonium, though. One year, probably 2000 or maybe 2001, I
                showed up in my (no longer mine unfortunately) Unimog 404S. It drew
                quite a crowd! What a fantastic hamfest that was. I've heard it's
                nowhere near its past glory, but I'd still love to go.

                Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 29, 2012
                  On 03/29/2012 09:50 AM, J. Alexander Jacocks wrote:
                  > I'm tired today, so I didn't think to say that I'll put a sign on my
                  > table, with my name, so that anyone who hasn't met me will know who we
                  > are.

                  This is always a good idea. Far too many times at gatherings like
                  that I've stood there having an interesting conversation with someone
                  and didn't know it was one of the people I was looking for, who I'd
                  spoken with online for sometimes years. This happened at VCF last year,
                  when I met Ian in person for the first time. It happened with Ethan
                  Dicks at the Pittsburgh Mini Maker Faire as well.

                  Dave McGuire, AK4HZ