Re: 8" of not working Floppy Disk, Need help Please!

  • joshbensadon
    Message 1 of 29 , Mar 28, 2012
      Oh, btw, I made a schematic for this Siemens Drive. You can get it from the files section here.
      Message 2 of 29 , Mar 29, 2012
        If Jon ends up not being able to send you a disk, let me
        know. Either of us can simply generate a new disk from an existing
        CP/M system that works, but he has the actual disk drive unit and
        correct OS I believe.
        BIll

      • Systems Glitch
        Message 3 of 29 , Mar 30, 2012
          > Oh, btw, I made a schematic for this Siemens Drive. You can get it from the files section here.

          I believe BitSavers has the correct manual:

          bitsavers.org/pdf/siemens/FDD100-8_V2.pdf

          Thanks,
          Jonathan
        • joshbensadon
          Message 4 of 29 , Mar 30, 2012
            Thanks, that's the schematic and part 2 of the manual. I found the FDD100-8_V1.pdf else where. Anyway, this new manual has a nice picture of what the read amp output should look like and mine is a flat line compared to that. I would have to say the Read AMP is toast. But only on one drive... On the other drive, I set it up on the bench with my function generator putting out a 500Khz square wave into the data in line. The drive shouldn't care if it's a square wave or a clock/data pulse, this signal runs straight into a 7474 to flip the Head drivers and reverse the flux. After writting, out comes a beautiful stream of bits with no missing pulses.
            Now I reconnect this drive to the IMSAI and I verify the pulses coming in to the drive are there, but the read back only gives a few scattered pulses, not right. And I'm baffled once again...
            The only difference was with my square wave, I manually loaded the head and the write gate which probably happened for a few revolutions.

            Hmm, I'm gonna have to sleep on this some more.

            I'll get some new Read head amp chips next week, my local surplus store has them in stock, thank god for that!

            Thanks again to every one for your help... I realize you can't do much hands on trouble shooting through text messages, but it helps to keep the flow of ideas running through my tiny brain!

            Cheers,
            Josh

            --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Systems Glitch <systems.glitch@...> wrote:

            > > Oh, btw, I made a schematic for this Siemens Drive. You can get it from the files section here.
            >
            > I believe BitSavers has the correct manual:
            >
            > bitsavers.org/pdf/siemens/FDD100-8_V2.pdf
            >
            > Thanks,
            > Jonathan

          • joshbensadon
            Message 5 of 29 , Apr 1, 2012
              Hi Guys...

              I'm still banging away at this 8" Disk Drive.

              One drive definitely has a problem with the read amp.
              The other drive seems to work fine, but it's my controller card that's giving the problem. Tarbell 1011.

              The Data/Clk seperator isn't working most of the time on most of the data patterns. But it does work some times when I record a track of 0AAH's. When it reads back, it either reads as AA's, 55's or FF's.
              I can understand being off a bit and getting the 55's since there's no syncronizing, but the FF's is what I get 3 out of 4 times I read the same track. And if I write a track full of 0F0H's, then I only ever get a bunch of FF's back, no matter how many times I read. So, now my task has switched to understanding / repairing this seperator.

              When I'm not reading the disk (and the head is not loaded), I get the occassional data pulse from the disk, is this normal? Just noise?

              Does anyone have any idea why Tarbell would use their own data/clk seperator and not the one inside the WD1771 chip?

              Thanks for your ideas!

              Cheers,
              Josh
              Message 6 of 29 , Apr 1, 2012
                I am starting to think you may have a partial port assignment
                problem. Maybe someone who knows more about the 1771 and Tarbell can
                yey or ney this.
                bd

                At 01:40 PM 4/1/2012, you wrote:
                >Hi Guys...
                >
                >I'm still banging away at this 8" Disk Drive.
                >
                >One drive definitely has a problem with the read amp.
                >The other drive seems to work fine, but it's my controller card
                >that's giving the problem. Tarbell 1011.
                >
                >The Data/Clk seperator isn't working most of the time on most of the
                >data patterns. But it does work some times when I record a track of
                >0AAH's. When it reads back, it either reads as AA's, 55's or FF's.
                >I can understand being off a bit and getting the 55's since there's
                >no syncronizing, but the FF's is what I get 3 out of 4 times I read
                >the same track. And if I write a track full of 0F0H's, then I only
                >ever get a bunch of FF's back, no matter how many times I read. So,
                >now my task has switched to understanding / repairing this seperator.
                >
                >When I'm not reading the disk (and the head is not loaded), I get
                >the occassional data pulse from the disk, is this normal? Just noise?
                >
                >Does anyone have any idea why Tarbell would use their own data/clk
                >seperator and not the one inside the WD1771 chip?
                >
                >Thanks for your ideas!
                >
                >Cheers,
                >Josh

              • Systems Glitch
                Message 7 of 29 , Apr 1, 2012
                  > Does anyone have any idea why Tarbell would use their own data/clk seperator and not the one inside the WD1771 chip?

                  Yes, the data separator in the WD1771 wasn't very good! Cromemco chose to use external data separators (on the 8" drive itself, actually) with their 4FDC, which used the WD1771. IIRC, the 4FDC /did/ use the internal data separator for 5.25" drives.

                  Thanks,
                  Jonathan
                • J. Chris Hausler
                  Message 8 of 29 , Apr 1, 2012
                    This was pretty common. Gimix used an external synchronous data separator in their 1771 based SS-30 "58" controller as well.

                    73, Chris Hausler

                    Message 9 of 29 , Apr 1, 2012
                      On 04/01/2012 03:15 PM, J. Chris Hausler wrote:
                      > This was pretty common. Gimix used an external synchronous data separator in their 1771 based SS-30 "58" controller as well.
                      >
                      > 73, Chris Hausler

                      And ..... that was MARCH list message #25,000 all-time.
                    • joshbensadon
                      Message 10 of 29 , Apr 1, 2012
                        Hi Bill,

                        I'm not sure I understand a "partial port assignment".
                        But you did give me new hope and off I went to check if there is a port conflict.

                        After studying the Data Seperator circuit, it's a very nicely designed circuit that corrects the data/clock if it finds 5 missing clocks (ie, Data 00h misread). This I see makes the 6 00's of the IBM format invaluable for the data seperator to be in sync with the right pulses.

                        Going into the 1771, I see clock pulses every 4uSec, I see data pulses every 8uSec (data pattern AA). The data is skewed by 2uSec.
                        To me, this all looks good going in.

                        Coming out, I scoped the Data Read strobe, it goes low for 1uSec.
                        The data from the 1771 is high for the first 200nSec, but it then goes low, which is a data 1 (to the CPU) after the 74LS368's.
                        This happens on all data lines, which fills the memory buffer with FF's instead of the AA's I expect.

                        The 200nSec, co-incides with the Data Request Line going low. This DRQ line goes high well before I read the port and then goes low about 200nSec after I read the data port. I've confirmed the Read, Chip Select, A0, A1 lines. I thought and double checked that I am reading the right port. The DRQ line going low convinces me that I have the right port.

                        I've tried a different 1771 chip, (not sure if either chip works really).

                        I'm at my wits end, once again... any ideas?

                        Time to buy more 1771's?

                        > I am starting to think you may have a partial port assignment
                        > problem. Maybe someone who knows more about the 1771 and Tarbell can
                        > yey or ney this.
                        > bd
                        >
                        > At 01:40 PM 4/1/2012, you wrote:
                        > >Hi Guys...
                        > >
                        > >I'm still banging away at this 8" Disk Drive.
                        > >
                        > >One drive definitely has a problem with the read amp.
                        > >The other drive seems to work fine, but it's my controller card
                        > >that's giving the problem. Tarbell 1011.
                        > >
                        > >The Data/Clk seperator isn't working most of the time on most of the
                        > >data patterns. But it does work some times when I record a track of
                        > >0AAH's. When it reads back, it either reads as AA's, 55's or FF's.
                        > >I can understand being off a bit and getting the 55's since there's
                        > >no syncronizing, but the FF's is what I get 3 out of 4 times I read
                        > >the same track. And if I write a track full of 0F0H's, then I only
                        > >ever get a bunch of FF's back, no matter how many times I read. So,
                        > >now my task has switched to understanding / repairing this seperator.
                        > >
                        > >When I'm not reading the disk (and the head is not loaded), I get
                        > >the occassional data pulse from the disk, is this normal? Just noise?
                        > >
                        > >Does anyone have any idea why Tarbell would use their own data/clk
                        > >seperator and not the one inside the WD1771 chip?
                        > >
                        > >Thanks for your ideas!
                        > >
                        > >Cheers,
                        > >Josh

                      • joshbensadon
                        Message 11 of 29 , Apr 3, 2012
                          In my continuing quest to get this Tarbell controller running.

                          I found out that if 2 data pulses are recieved between the clock pulses, I then get a pattern of AA (or 55) read from the chip.
                          It's almost like the Clock and Data pin inputs on the FD 1771 are reversed???? But the data sheet show them correct to the schematic which matches the board.

                          Does anyone know if there was ever some ECO on this chip or the Tarbell 1011 Controller?

                          I've got some NOS 1771's on their way to me, gonna try them.

                          I've scoped the data and clock. They are both 250nSec pulses, a little ringing but otherwise reasonablly square. The ringing might be my cheap probes? They are between 0V and 3.9V, I changed the driver chip from 74LS08 to 74HCT08 and brought the voltage to 0V-4.75V but this had no effect. According to the datasheet, this is all good.

                          Does anyone have some more details of what's happening just inside the Data/Clock inputs of the 1771?

                          Cheers,
                          Josh
                        • Bill Sudbrink
                          Message 12 of 29 , Apr 3, 2012
                            Hi,

                            Have you looked at the manual scan on Harte's site:

                            http://www.hartetechnologies.com/manuals/Tarbell/Tarbell%20Single%20Density%
                            20Disk%20Controller.pdf

                            It has a lot of notes and addenda appended to it.

                            Bill S.
                          • Bill Sudbrink
                            Message 13 of 29 , Apr 3, 2012
                              Some things I would check:

                              Make sure FD1771 pin 25 is truly grounded. It is
                              socketed, right? Did you reseat the 1771?

                              Likewise, make sure you have a good clock signal on
                              1771 pin 24.

                              What does the 74ls175 (u33) look like? Is it socketed
                              or soldered? Are its pins tarnished? Does the clock
                              on pin 4 of the 175 look good?

                              Basically, if any of the chips on the board are TI,
                              socketed and have pins tarnished to black or almost
                              black, it would probably be a good idea to gently lift
                              and reseat them.

                              Are the gate voltages on the 74ls08 (u36) good? If they
                              are marginal, you might be getting noise in the signal.

                              Bill S.
                            • joshbensadon
                              Message 14 of 29 , Apr 3, 2012
                                Hi Bill,

                                Thanks for your ideas.

                                > Make sure FD1771 pin 25 is truly grounded. It is
                                > socketed, right? Did you reseat the 1771?

                                Yes, it's 100% grounded. I measured less than .05 Ohms to ground on this pin.

                                I've reseated, and replaced the 1771 with 2 other chips. Same results every time.

                                > Likewise, make sure you have a good clock signal on
                                > 1771 pin 24.

                                Clock is good, 4v p-p, the low is about .2V there is a little ringing but I see that all the time (probably my probe), it's nothing severe.

                                > What does the 74ls175 (u33) look like? Is it socketed
                                > or soldered? Are its pins tarnished? Does the clock
                                > on pin 4 of the 175 look good?

                                On a socket, pins were tarnished, but I cleaned them with an eraser many steps ago. Data on pin 4 looks good, Clock on pin 9 looks a little slanted, I mean it has a slow rise/drop time. I would say 10% rise time, 10% drop, 80% at the high/low levels. 4V high, .2V low.

                                > Basically, if any of the chips on the board are TI,
                                > socketed and have pins tarnished to black or almost
                                > black, it would probably be a good idea to gently lift
                                > and reseat them.

                                Great idea, did this on all chips a couple of days ago.

                                > Are the gate voltages on the 74ls08 (u36) good? If they
                                > are marginal, you might be getting noise in the signal.

                                Yes, they are .2V low, 4V high coming in. 0V/4.75V going out because I replaced this chip with a 74HCT08. The 74LS08 was putting out the standard .2V / 4V levels.
                                But thank you, you gave me another idea... add more decoupling capacitors! And double check the voltages around the 1771. The +12, +5 and -5 are all present and good.

                                Here's the funny part, I tried grounding the DATA input, this chip is getting NO DATA, yet out comes a bunch of FF's ????
                                The only time it gives something other than FF's is when the input pattern is AA's and the data seperator reverses the clock and data pulses. If 2 pulses come in on the data line then 1 pulse on the clock line, the chip reads all AA's (or 55's) to RAM.

                                The routine I'm using to read the chip is right out of the Manual you described, yes, it's a very good manual, saved me days of work already. I've looked at that code 5 times already. I'm even scoping the data lines at strobe time and I see the FF's (inverted as 00's) on the 1771 data outputs. My latest pattern input is C0's, 2 data pulses appear very neat and sharp for every 8 clock's, but out comes FF!

                                I'm running out of ideas.... next I think I'm going to replace all the chips around the Read/Write of this chip.

                                Also, I found C7 missing from the 4Mhz clock, but the parts list doesn't list C7. I think it's only used for certain crystals.

                                sigh.

                                I am begining to think we should stop using floppy disks... not so reliable!
                              • Bill Sudbrink
                                Message 15 of 29 , Apr 4, 2012
                                  Ok, here are a couple of weird things that have "bit" me
                                  in the past:

                                  Cracked pins. I have had TI pins crack in such a way that
                                  they looked good in place, would test good with a probe but
                                  were bad during a run. I've seen two kinds of cracks.
                                  Warning, bad ASCII art follows:

                                  | | <-1
                                  | |
                                  \ /
                                  \ /
                                  || <-2
                                  \/

                                  I have seen cracks at position 1, right where the pin makes
                                  the bend to go into the chip body. Straight across the bend
                                  on a soldered chip. Almost invisible to the naked eye.
                                  Pressure from a probe on top of the pin closed the crack and
                                  made the pin look good under test.

                                  I have seen cracks at position 2, at the bottom of the taper
                                  where the pin narrows to its insertion width. I have seen this
                                  in both soldered and socketed chips. In the socketed case, I
                                  stupidly didn't notice the missing piece of pin through several
                                  removal/insertions. Under test, it can behave just as above,
                                  with the pressure on the pin closing the circuit.

                                  On other thing I have seen exactly once was a case where the
                                  pin from the socket was crumpled under the socket. This board
                                  was probably machine assembled. The crumpled pin was making
                                  intermittent contact with the solder pad that it had been
                                  intended to be soldered to. It was one of those tall, solid
                                  body sockets making the problem very difficult to see.

                                  Bill S.
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Apr 4, 2012
                                    >> I've seen two kinds of cracks. Warning, bad ASCII art follows

                                    That might be the post of the year.
                                  • joshbensadon
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Apr 4, 2012
                                      Hi Bill,

                                      Thanks, that's good solid advice. I found a #2 break on one of the front panel chips. Always good to check the pins of the sockets too. I'll give the board a good visual before moving the problem to a bread board (what would be my next step without your input).

                                      I am also curious about the -5V. I saw some chips don't require it. But I think I have chips that do.

                                      While fixing an Ohio Scientific Superboard, the extra pressure I applied to the pin when scoping it had it make contact to the socket. I caught on to this pretty quickly but it still tricked me at first.

                                      Again, my biggest stumbling block on my 1771 problem is how it produces valid numbers when there are 2 data pulses for every clock pulse. This leads me to believe the CPU decoding/interfacing is correct, along with my code. I don't believe the data sheet and circuit could be wrong either. So there's something here that I've never seen before... but with a little patience and persistence I might have a good story to tell!

                                      Cheers,
                                      Josh

                                      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Sudbrink" <wh.sudbrink@...> wrote:

                                      > Ok, here are a couple of weird things that have "bit" me
                                      > in the past:
                                      >
                                      > Cracked pins. I have had TI pins crack in such a way that
                                      > they looked good in place, would test good with a probe but
                                      > were bad during a run. I've seen two kinds of cracks.
                                      > Warning, bad ASCII art follows:
                                      >

                                      > | | <-1
                                      > | |
                                      > \ /
                                      > \ /
                                      > || <-2
                                      > \/
                                      >
                                      > I have seen cracks at position 1, right where the pin makes
                                      > the bend to go into the chip body. Straight across the bend
                                      > on a soldered chip. Almost invisible to the naked eye.
                                      > Pressure from a probe on top of the pin closed the crack and
                                      > made the pin look good under test.
                                      >
                                      > I have seen cracks at position 2, at the bottom of the taper
                                      > where the pin narrows to its insertion width. I have seen this
                                      > in both soldered and socketed chips. In the socketed case, I
                                      > stupidly didn't notice the missing piece of pin through several
                                      > removal/insertions. Under test, it can behave just as above,
                                      > with the pressure on the pin closing the circuit.
                                      >
                                      > On other thing I have seen exactly once was a case where the
                                      > pin from the socket was crumpled under the socket. This board
                                      > was probably machine assembled. The crumpled pin was making
                                      > intermittent contact with the solder pad that it had been
                                      > intended to be soldered to. It was one of those tall, solid
                                      > body sockets making the problem very difficult to see.
                                      >
                                      > Bill S.

                                    • joshbensadon
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Apr 4, 2012
                                        Yeah! Thanks for the Bad Ascii art warning! lol.

                                        Message 19 of 29 , Apr 4, 2012
                                          Joshbensadon wrote:

                                          > Yeah! Thanks for the Bad Ascii art warning! lol.

                                          Actually, that's old usenet code for "be sure your viewer is
                                          set to a fixed width font or this won't make any sense".

                                          Bill S.
                                        • joshbensadon
                                          Message 20 of 29 , Apr 4, 2012
                                            > Actually, that's old usenet code for "be sure your viewer is
                                            > set to a fixed width font or this won't make any sense".
                                            >
                                            > Bill S.

                                            I never joined usenet. How long ago was usenet popular? Is it still around? I recall the days of BBS's and all the cool ANSI art. There wasn't a need to worry about fixed width then, it was all 80 column.
                                            Message 21 of 29 , Apr 4, 2012
                                              On 04/04/2012 07:22 PM, joshbensadon wrote:
                                              > I never joined usenet. How long ago was usenet popular? Is it still
                                              > around?

                                              It's still around, and it's still active. I was shocked out of my
                                              gourd to find this out about a year ago. I thought it was completely dead.

                                              I was (among other things) a news admin at a large ISP for a long
                                              time. We bought one of the first SGI Origin 2000 systems to build a
                                              news server; that was fun.

                                              When I learned that it was still active, I built a news server here
                                              and finagled my way into getting a news feed. I get all the major
                                              hierarchies but no binaries. (I don't care about the binaries) The
                                              technical groups, in particular, are wonderful. My news server receives
                                              between 30,000 and 40,000 articles per day. (remember, that's not
                                              including binaries!) Probably 1/3 of that is spam, but the rest is a
                                              lot of good meat.

                                              Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                                              Message 22 of 29 , Apr 4, 2012
                                                On 04/04/2012 10:12 AM, Bill Sudbrink wrote:
                                                > Ok, here are a couple of weird things that have "bit" me
                                                > in the past:
                                                >
                                                > Cracked pins. I have had TI pins crack in such a way that
                                                > they looked good in place, would test good with a probe but
                                                > were bad during a run. I've seen two kinds of cracks.
                                                > Warning, bad ASCII art follows:
                                                >

                                                > | | <-1
                                                > | |
                                                > \ /
                                                > \ /
                                                > || <-2
                                                > \/
                                                >
                                                > I have seen cracks at position 1, right where the pin makes
                                                > the bend to go into the chip body. Straight across the bend
                                                > on a soldered chip. Almost invisible to the naked eye.
                                                > Pressure from a probe on top of the pin closed the crack and
                                                > made the pin look good under test.
                                                >
                                                > I have seen cracks at position 2, at the bottom of the taper
                                                > where the pin narrows to its insertion width. I have seen this
                                                > in both soldered and socketed chips. In the socketed case, I
                                                > stupidly didn't notice the missing piece of pin through several
                                                > removal/insertions. Under test, it can behave just as above,
                                                > with the pressure on the pin closing the circuit.

                                                I've seen this failure mode as well. In one case, microscopic
                                                examination revealed that the only thing holding the pin together was
                                                the thin layer of oxide. That was a serious pain to track down.

                                                Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                                                New Kensington, PA
                                              • joshbensadon
                                                Message 23 of 29 , Apr 6, 2012
                                                  I've been struggling with this Tarbell 1011 controller using the FD 1771 controller for a couple of weeks.

                                                  I kept getting FF's out while I was watching good data go in.
                                                  The only time I got any other data, was when the (external) Clock/Data seperator swapped the clock & data.

                                                  I looked everywhere for the problem. I even made my own Clock/Data test pattern generator to give clean pulses. Once again, only when I reverse Clock and Data does it seem to work.

                                                  So, I swaped the Clock and Data. Curiously, the circuit now works!

                                                  The first ID field looks like this...
                                                  FE 00 00 01 00 D2 C3

                                                  I am assuming the CRC (D2C3) is correct.

                                                  Does anyone have any ERRATA on the FD 1771 Floppy Drive controller?

                                                  I am curious if anyone else out there has any schematics or circuits using the FD 1771 with external data seperator and would you confirm Pin 27 for Data, Pin 26 for Clock (as per data sheet) or are these truely reversed?

                                                  PS. Thank you to everyone for all the help, support and invaluable idea's given. And sorry for the mess of hair on the floor :)
                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Apr 6, 2012
                                                    Herb Johnson would know a lot about that stuff, but he is not usually
                                                    checking this list. He can be contacted through his web site
                                                    retrotechnology.com
                                                    http://www.retrotechnology.com/herbs_stuff/s100bus.html
                                                    Bill