8" of not working Floppy Disk, Need help Please!

  • joshbensadon
    Message 1 of 29 , Mar 28, 2012
      Hi,

      Well, I've finally hit a brick wall here. I'm trying to get some old Siemens FDD 100-8 drives working. They are hooked up to a Tarbell 1101 controller card in an IMSAI 8080. WD-1771 controller chip. There's lots of code examples, the datasheet is pretty clear, I have written my own format command to write the IBM 3740 onto Track 0. The bytes in RAM look right prior to the write. The Head loads.

      I don't know much about Floppy drives but this one uses a head with 2 coils, 1 single for erase, 1 with a center tap for reading/writing.
      The erase coil is getting 5v during the Write Gate duration (166.6mS for the track write). The Write coils are getting a rounded 1uSec pulse at 6V positive and a keystone shaped pulse about 2uSec at -5V.

      Both drives have similar signals on the writing, but differ on the reading.

      When idle, without the head loaded, the heads output a 170mV noisy signal. When I read the track, that jumps up to a nice 500mV signal. It goes into the head amp and crap comes out. Here's where the two drives differ. The Right Drive puts out what looks to be random bytes. The Left Drive puts out mostly FF's with a random 0 bit every 200-400 bytes. The Raw Data line confirms this, so I believe my WD-1771 is working fine.

      I don't know what to do next...??? Would anyone care to swap floppy disks with me? I would like to know if my disk has a been properly written to, and it would be helpful to know I am using a "good" disk to read from.

      Thanks for any help here!
      Josh

      PS. Sample of Right Drive Read back:
      0100 BF FF FF FF 7F FF FD FF FF FD FF DF FF FF FF FF
      0110 FF 7F FF FD FD FF FF FF EF FF FF FD FF FF FF FD
      0120 FF FF FF FF 7B FF FF FF FF FF F0 64 9F FF FF 3F
      0130 FF BD FF FF FF FF FF FF FF DF DF FF FF FF FF FF
      0140 FF FF FF FF FF FF FE FF FF FF FB F8 63 FF EF 1E
      0150 FF 0B E1 FF FF FF FF BF 5F FF FF FF FF DF FF FE
      0160 FF FF FF FF FC 7F 1C 3B FE 0F 37 BF FF F3 FF BD
      0170 7F 7D 5C 7E FF DF FF BF FF 2F BF FF 3F B7 DF FF
      0180 ED E5 E7 FF EF 7E F3 F7 EF D9 79 FB FF FD FF FF
      0190 FE FF F7 FF F3 F7 F3 DB 7F FF FB FD FD FF BE EF
      01A0 FF FF FF FF BD 7E 5F FF F7 2E 7F FF FD FF EE D7
      01B0 97 BF A5 BF FA EF FF FD 7F FD F9 7E FF BE BF FD
      01C0 FF 5E 5F BC FC BF FF FF FF FF FF FF FC BC FF 79
      01D0 7B F9 79 79 7F FB BC FD FF EF 7F AF FF 2F 2F 2F
      01E0 3F 7F FF 2F 3F 2F AF 2F FE 5F FF FF DF CF FD F9
      01F0 FF FF FF FF FF CF FF FF EF FF FF FE FF FF FF FF

      Sample of Left Drive:
      0100 FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF
      0110 FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF
      0120 FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF F0 FF FF FF FF FF FA FF
      0130 FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF
      0140 FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF F8
      0150 FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF
      0160 FF FF FF FF FF FF FF F8 FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF
      0170 FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF
      0180 FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF
      0190 FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF
      01A0 FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF
      01B0 FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF
      01C0 FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF
      01D0 FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF
      01E0 FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF
      01F0 FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF
      Message 2 of 29 , Mar 28, 2012
        I get your situation, but I can't offer any help! If you were closer
        I'd offer to let you borrow a spare drive. I don't have a Siemens
        though, I don't think, just Shugarts.

        Bill

      • Systems Glitch
        Message 3 of 29 , Mar 28, 2012
          Don't know how much of an answer this is, but I've got 4 FD100-8 Siemens drives from two Ohio Scientific computers, and none of them work. Various problems...Track 0 sensors out on two of the drives, nothing/garbage from the read amp on at least one of them.

          Are you just looking for an IBM 3740 formatted disk to double-check with? If so, I've got enough spares to contribute a formatted test disk. I can fire up the CompuPro or NEC APC and write one out from CP/M or CP/M-86.

          Thanks,
          Jonathan
        • joshbensadon
          Message 4 of 29 , Mar 28, 2012
            Hi Bill,

            Well as time goes by and I think more about this, I must continue to divide and conqure. A known working drive will put to rest any doubt that the controller is working or not. But I only have 5.25" drives... I don't know if they are 100% compatible with 8".

            I wish we were neighbors, I'd walk over right now!
            These 8" drives must cost a bunch to ship... I'll consider that as a last option.

            How about disks? Do you have any known good disks? Can we swap a disk? Or let me buy a disk outright from you? I prefer swap and if you could try reading track 00 on my disk.

            Thanks,
            Josh

            Message 5 of 29 , Mar 28, 2012
              --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Systems Glitch <systems.glitch@...> wrote:

              > Don't know how much of an answer this is, but I've got 4 FD100-8 Siemens drives from two Ohio Scientific computers, and none of them work. Various problems...Track 0 sensors out on two of the drives, nothing/garbage from the read amp on at least one of them.
              >
              > Are you just looking for an IBM 3740 formatted disk to double-check with? If so, I've got enough spares to contribute a formatted test disk. I can fire up the CompuPro or NEC APC and write one out from CP/M or CP/M-86.
              >
              > Thanks,
              > Jonathan

              Funny that your drives suffer the same problems as mine. Guess it's a common problem for them. Both my drives had blown track00 sensors, and now it looks like they are both putting out garbage from the read amp. I have 5 new boxes of 8" disks, but I really need 1 that is formated so I can be sure it's the read amp.

              Please let me know how much you want to send me a disk to Toronto.
              US Postal Service is best to get it here.
              email me using my full name at yahoo.

              Cheers,
              Josh Bensadon
            • joshbensadon
              Message 6 of 29 , Mar 28, 2012
                Oh, btw, I made a schematic for this Siemens Drive. You can get it from the files section here.
                Message 7 of 29 , Mar 29, 2012
                  If Jon ends up not being able to send you a disk, let me
                  know. Either of us can simply generate a new disk from an existing
                  CP/M system that works, but he has the actual disk drive unit and
                  correct OS I believe.
                  BIll

                  Message 8 of 29 , Mar 30, 2012
                    > Oh, btw, I made a schematic for this Siemens Drive. You can get it from the files section here.

                    I believe BitSavers has the correct manual:

                    bitsavers.org/pdf/siemens/FDD100-8_V2.pdf

                    Thanks,
                    Jonathan
                  • joshbensadon
                    Message 9 of 29 , Mar 30, 2012
                      Thanks, that's the schematic and part 2 of the manual. I found the FDD100-8_V1.pdf else where. Anyway, this new manual has a nice picture of what the read amp output should look like and mine is a flat line compared to that. I would have to say the Read AMP is toast. But only on one drive... On the other drive, I set it up on the bench with my function generator putting out a 500Khz square wave into the data in line. The drive shouldn't care if it's a square wave or a clock/data pulse, this signal runs straight into a 7474 to flip the Head drivers and reverse the flux. After writting, out comes a beautiful stream of bits with no missing pulses.
                      Now I reconnect this drive to the IMSAI and I verify the pulses coming in to the drive are there, but the read back only gives a few scattered pulses, not right. And I'm baffled once again...
                      The only difference was with my square wave, I manually loaded the head and the write gate which probably happened for a few revolutions.

                      Hmm, I'm gonna have to sleep on this some more.

                      I'll get some new Read head amp chips next week, my local surplus store has them in stock, thank god for that!

                      Thanks again to every one for your help... I realize you can't do much hands on trouble shooting through text messages, but it helps to keep the flow of ideas running through my tiny brain!

                      Cheers,
                      Josh

                      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Systems Glitch <systems.glitch@...> wrote:

                      > > Oh, btw, I made a schematic for this Siemens Drive. You can get it from the files section here.
                      >
                      > I believe BitSavers has the correct manual:
                      >
                      > bitsavers.org/pdf/siemens/FDD100-8_V2.pdf
                      >
                      > Thanks,
                      > Jonathan

                    • joshbensadon
                      Message 10 of 29 , Apr 1 10:40 AM
                        Hi Guys...

                        I'm still banging away at this 8" Disk Drive.

                        One drive definitely has a problem with the read amp.
                        The other drive seems to work fine, but it's my controller card that's giving the problem. Tarbell 1011.

                        The Data/Clk seperator isn't working most of the time on most of the data patterns. But it does work some times when I record a track of 0AAH's. When it reads back, it either reads as AA's, 55's or FF's.
                        I can understand being off a bit and getting the 55's since there's no syncronizing, but the FF's is what I get 3 out of 4 times I read the same track. And if I write a track full of 0F0H's, then I only ever get a bunch of FF's back, no matter how many times I read. So, now my task has switched to understanding / repairing this seperator.

                        When I'm not reading the disk (and the head is not loaded), I get the occassional data pulse from the disk, is this normal? Just noise?

                        Does anyone have any idea why Tarbell would use their own data/clk seperator and not the one inside the WD1771 chip?

                        Thanks for your ideas!

                        Cheers,
                        Josh
                        Message 11 of 29 , Apr 1 11:00 AM
                          I am starting to think you may have a partial port assignment
                          problem. Maybe someone who knows more about the 1771 and Tarbell can
                          yey or ney this.
                          bd

                          At 01:40 PM 4/1/2012, you wrote:
                          >Hi Guys...
                          >
                          >I'm still banging away at this 8" Disk Drive.
                          >
                          >One drive definitely has a problem with the read amp.
                          >The other drive seems to work fine, but it's my controller card
                          >that's giving the problem. Tarbell 1011.
                          >
                          >The Data/Clk seperator isn't working most of the time on most of the
                          >data patterns. But it does work some times when I record a track of
                          >0AAH's. When it reads back, it either reads as AA's, 55's or FF's.
                          >I can understand being off a bit and getting the 55's since there's
                          >no syncronizing, but the FF's is what I get 3 out of 4 times I read
                          >the same track. And if I write a track full of 0F0H's, then I only
                          >ever get a bunch of FF's back, no matter how many times I read. So,
                          >now my task has switched to understanding / repairing this seperator.
                          >
                          >When I'm not reading the disk (and the head is not loaded), I get
                          >the occassional data pulse from the disk, is this normal? Just noise?
                          >
                          >Does anyone have any idea why Tarbell would use their own data/clk
                          >seperator and not the one inside the WD1771 chip?
                          >
                          >Thanks for your ideas!
                          >
                          >Cheers,
                          >Josh

                        • Systems Glitch
                          Message 12 of 29 , Apr 1 11:26 AM
                            > Does anyone have any idea why Tarbell would use their own data/clk seperator and not the one inside the WD1771 chip?

                            Yes, the data separator in the WD1771 wasn't very good! Cromemco chose to use external data separators (on the 8" drive itself, actually) with their 4FDC, which used the WD1771. IIRC, the 4FDC /did/ use the internal data separator for 5.25" drives.

                            Thanks,
                            Jonathan
                          • J. Chris Hausler
                            Message 13 of 29 , Apr 1 12:15 PM
                              This was pretty common. Gimix used an external synchronous data separator in their 1771 based SS-30 "58" controller as well.

                              73, Chris Hausler

                              Message 14 of 29 , Apr 1 7:30 PM
                                On 04/01/2012 03:15 PM, J. Chris Hausler wrote:
                                > This was pretty common. Gimix used an external synchronous data separator in their 1771 based SS-30 "58" controller as well.
                                >
                                > 73, Chris Hausler

                                And ..... that was MARCH list message #25,000 all-time.
                              • joshbensadon
                                Message 15 of 29 , Apr 1 9:05 PM
                                  Hi Bill,

                                  I'm not sure I understand a "partial port assignment".
                                  But you did give me new hope and off I went to check if there is a port conflict.

                                  After studying the Data Seperator circuit, it's a very nicely designed circuit that corrects the data/clock if it finds 5 missing clocks (ie, Data 00h misread). This I see makes the 6 00's of the IBM format invaluable for the data seperator to be in sync with the right pulses.

                                  Going into the 1771, I see clock pulses every 4uSec, I see data pulses every 8uSec (data pattern AA). The data is skewed by 2uSec.
                                  To me, this all looks good going in.

                                  Coming out, I scoped the Data Read strobe, it goes low for 1uSec.
                                  The data from the 1771 is high for the first 200nSec, but it then goes low, which is a data 1 (to the CPU) after the 74LS368's.
                                  This happens on all data lines, which fills the memory buffer with FF's instead of the AA's I expect.

                                  The 200nSec, co-incides with the Data Request Line going low. This DRQ line goes high well before I read the port and then goes low about 200nSec after I read the data port. I've confirmed the Read, Chip Select, A0, A1 lines. I thought and double checked that I am reading the right port. The DRQ line going low convinces me that I have the right port.

                                  I've tried a different 1771 chip, (not sure if either chip works really).

                                  I'm at my wits end, once again... any ideas?

                                  Time to buy more 1771's?

                                  > I am starting to think you may have a partial port assignment
                                  > problem. Maybe someone who knows more about the 1771 and Tarbell can
                                  > yey or ney this.
                                  > bd
                                  >
                                  > At 01:40 PM 4/1/2012, you wrote:
                                  > >Hi Guys...
                                  > >
                                  > >I'm still banging away at this 8" Disk Drive.
                                  > >
                                  > >One drive definitely has a problem with the read amp.
                                  > >The other drive seems to work fine, but it's my controller card
                                  > >that's giving the problem. Tarbell 1011.
                                  > >
                                  > >The Data/Clk seperator isn't working most of the time on most of the
                                  > >data patterns. But it does work some times when I record a track of
                                  > >0AAH's. When it reads back, it either reads as AA's, 55's or FF's.
                                  > >I can understand being off a bit and getting the 55's since there's
                                  > >no syncronizing, but the FF's is what I get 3 out of 4 times I read
                                  > >the same track. And if I write a track full of 0F0H's, then I only
                                  > >ever get a bunch of FF's back, no matter how many times I read. So,
                                  > >now my task has switched to understanding / repairing this seperator.
                                  > >
                                  > >When I'm not reading the disk (and the head is not loaded), I get
                                  > >the occassional data pulse from the disk, is this normal? Just noise?
                                  > >
                                  > >Does anyone have any idea why Tarbell would use their own data/clk
                                  > >seperator and not the one inside the WD1771 chip?
                                  > >
                                  > >Thanks for your ideas!
                                  > >
                                  > >Cheers,
                                  > >Josh

                                • joshbensadon
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Apr 3 4:10 AM
                                    In my continuing quest to get this Tarbell controller running.

                                    I found out that if 2 data pulses are recieved between the clock pulses, I then get a pattern of AA (or 55) read from the chip.
                                    It's almost like the Clock and Data pin inputs on the FD 1771 are reversed???? But the data sheet show them correct to the schematic which matches the board.

                                    Does anyone know if there was ever some ECO on this chip or the Tarbell 1011 Controller?

                                    I've got some NOS 1771's on their way to me, gonna try them.

                                    I've scoped the data and clock. They are both 250nSec pulses, a little ringing but otherwise reasonablly square. The ringing might be my cheap probes? They are between 0V and 3.9V, I changed the driver chip from 74LS08 to 74HCT08 and brought the voltage to 0V-4.75V but this had no effect. According to the datasheet, this is all good.

                                    Does anyone have some more details of what's happening just inside the Data/Clock inputs of the 1771?

                                    Cheers,
                                    Josh
                                  • Bill Sudbrink
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Apr 3 8:33 AM
                                      Hi,

                                      Have you looked at the manual scan on Harte's site:

                                      http://www.hartetechnologies.com/manuals/Tarbell/Tarbell%20Single%20Density%
                                      20Disk%20Controller.pdf

                                      It has a lot of notes and addenda appended to it.

                                      Bill S.
                                    • Bill Sudbrink
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Apr 3 8:56 AM
                                        Some things I would check:

                                        Make sure FD1771 pin 25 is truly grounded. It is
                                        socketed, right? Did you reseat the 1771?

                                        Likewise, make sure you have a good clock signal on
                                        1771 pin 24.

                                        What does the 74ls175 (u33) look like? Is it socketed
                                        or soldered? Are its pins tarnished? Does the clock
                                        on pin 4 of the 175 look good?

                                        Basically, if any of the chips on the board are TI,
                                        socketed and have pins tarnished to black or almost
                                        black, it would probably be a good idea to gently lift
                                        and reseat them.

                                        Are the gate voltages on the 74ls08 (u36) good? If they
                                        are marginal, you might be getting noise in the signal.

                                        Bill S.
                                      • joshbensadon
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Apr 3 8:26 PM
                                          Hi Bill,

                                          Thanks for your ideas.

                                          > Make sure FD1771 pin 25 is truly grounded. It is
                                          > socketed, right? Did you reseat the 1771?

                                          Yes, it's 100% grounded. I measured less than .05 Ohms to ground on this pin.

                                          I've reseated, and replaced the 1771 with 2 other chips. Same results every time.

                                          > Likewise, make sure you have a good clock signal on
                                          > 1771 pin 24.

                                          Clock is good, 4v p-p, the low is about .2V there is a little ringing but I see that all the time (probably my probe), it's nothing severe.

                                          > What does the 74ls175 (u33) look like? Is it socketed
                                          > or soldered? Are its pins tarnished? Does the clock
                                          > on pin 4 of the 175 look good?

                                          On a socket, pins were tarnished, but I cleaned them with an eraser many steps ago. Data on pin 4 looks good, Clock on pin 9 looks a little slanted, I mean it has a slow rise/drop time. I would say 10% rise time, 10% drop, 80% at the high/low levels. 4V high, .2V low.

                                          > Basically, if any of the chips on the board are TI,
                                          > socketed and have pins tarnished to black or almost
                                          > black, it would probably be a good idea to gently lift
                                          > and reseat them.

                                          Great idea, did this on all chips a couple of days ago.

                                          > Are the gate voltages on the 74ls08 (u36) good? If they
                                          > are marginal, you might be getting noise in the signal.

                                          Yes, they are .2V low, 4V high coming in. 0V/4.75V going out because I replaced this chip with a 74HCT08. The 74LS08 was putting out the standard .2V / 4V levels.
                                          But thank you, you gave me another idea... add more decoupling capacitors! And double check the voltages around the 1771. The +12, +5 and -5 are all present and good.

                                          Here's the funny part, I tried grounding the DATA input, this chip is getting NO DATA, yet out comes a bunch of FF's ????
                                          The only time it gives something other than FF's is when the input pattern is AA's and the data seperator reverses the clock and data pulses. If 2 pulses come in on the data line then 1 pulse on the clock line, the chip reads all AA's (or 55's) to RAM.

                                          The routine I'm using to read the chip is right out of the Manual you described, yes, it's a very good manual, saved me days of work already. I've looked at that code 5 times already. I'm even scoping the data lines at strobe time and I see the FF's (inverted as 00's) on the 1771 data outputs. My latest pattern input is C0's, 2 data pulses appear very neat and sharp for every 8 clock's, but out comes FF!

                                          I'm running out of ideas.... next I think I'm going to replace all the chips around the Read/Write of this chip.

                                          Also, I found C7 missing from the 4Mhz clock, but the parts list doesn't list C7. I think it's only used for certain crystals.

                                          sigh.

                                          I am begining to think we should stop using floppy disks... not so reliable!
                                        • Bill Sudbrink
                                          Message 20 of 29 , Apr 4 7:12 AM
                                            Ok, here are a couple of weird things that have "bit" me
                                            in the past:

                                            Cracked pins. I have had TI pins crack in such a way that
                                            they looked good in place, would test good with a probe but
                                            were bad during a run. I've seen two kinds of cracks.
                                            Warning, bad ASCII art follows:

                                            | | <-1
                                            | |
                                            \ /
                                            \ /
                                            || <-2
                                            \/

                                            I have seen cracks at position 1, right where the pin makes
                                            the bend to go into the chip body. Straight across the bend
                                            on a soldered chip. Almost invisible to the naked eye.
                                            Pressure from a probe on top of the pin closed the crack and
                                            made the pin look good under test.

                                            I have seen cracks at position 2, at the bottom of the taper
                                            where the pin narrows to its insertion width. I have seen this
                                            in both soldered and socketed chips. In the socketed case, I
                                            stupidly didn't notice the missing piece of pin through several
                                            removal/insertions. Under test, it can behave just as above,
                                            with the pressure on the pin closing the circuit.

                                            On other thing I have seen exactly once was a case where the
                                            pin from the socket was crumpled under the socket. This board
                                            was probably machine assembled. The crumpled pin was making
                                            intermittent contact with the solder pad that it had been
                                            intended to be soldered to. It was one of those tall, solid
                                            body sockets making the problem very difficult to see.

                                            Bill S.
                                            Message 21 of 29 , Apr 4 7:51 AM
                                              >> I've seen two kinds of cracks. Warning, bad ASCII art follows

                                              That might be the post of the year.
                                            • joshbensadon
                                              Message 22 of 29 , Apr 4 2:48 PM
                                                Hi Bill,

                                                Thanks, that's good solid advice. I found a #2 break on one of the front panel chips. Always good to check the pins of the sockets too. I'll give the board a good visual before moving the problem to a bread board (what would be my next step without your input).

                                                I am also curious about the -5V. I saw some chips don't require it. But I think I have chips that do.

                                                While fixing an Ohio Scientific Superboard, the extra pressure I applied to the pin when scoping it had it make contact to the socket. I caught on to this pretty quickly but it still tricked me at first.

                                                Again, my biggest stumbling block on my 1771 problem is how it produces valid numbers when there are 2 data pulses for every clock pulse. This leads me to believe the CPU decoding/interfacing is correct, along with my code. I don't believe the data sheet and circuit could be wrong either. So there's something here that I've never seen before... but with a little patience and persistence I might have a good story to tell!

                                                Cheers,
                                                Josh

                                                --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Sudbrink" <wh.sudbrink@...> wrote:

                                                > Ok, here are a couple of weird things that have "bit" me
                                                > in the past:
                                                >
                                                > Cracked pins. I have had TI pins crack in such a way that
                                                > they looked good in place, would test good with a probe but
                                                > were bad during a run. I've seen two kinds of cracks.
                                                > Warning, bad ASCII art follows:
                                                >

                                                > | | <-1
                                                > | |
                                                > \ /
                                                > \ /
                                                > || <-2
                                                > \/
                                                >
                                                > I have seen cracks at position 1, right where the pin makes
                                                > the bend to go into the chip body. Straight across the bend
                                                > on a soldered chip. Almost invisible to the naked eye.
                                                > Pressure from a probe on top of the pin closed the crack and
                                                > made the pin look good under test.
                                                >
                                                > I have seen cracks at position 2, at the bottom of the taper
                                                > where the pin narrows to its insertion width. I have seen this
                                                > in both soldered and socketed chips. In the socketed case, I
                                                > stupidly didn't notice the missing piece of pin through several
                                                > removal/insertions. Under test, it can behave just as above,
                                                > with the pressure on the pin closing the circuit.
                                                >
                                                > On other thing I have seen exactly once was a case where the
                                                > pin from the socket was crumpled under the socket. This board
                                                > was probably machine assembled. The crumpled pin was making
                                                > intermittent contact with the solder pad that it had been
                                                > intended to be soldered to. It was one of those tall, solid
                                                > body sockets making the problem very difficult to see.
                                                >
                                                > Bill S.

                                              • joshbensadon
                                                Message 23 of 29 , Apr 4 2:49 PM
                                                  Yeah! Thanks for the Bad Ascii art warning! lol.

                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Apr 4 3:18 PM
                                                    Joshbensadon wrote:

                                                    > Yeah! Thanks for the Bad Ascii art warning! lol.

                                                    Actually, that's old usenet code for "be sure your viewer is
                                                    set to a fixed width font or this won't make any sense".

                                                    Bill S.
                                                  • joshbensadon
                                                    Message 25 of 29 , Apr 4 4:22 PM
                                                      > Actually, that's old usenet code for "be sure your viewer is
                                                      > set to a fixed width font or this won't make any sense".
                                                      >
                                                      > Bill S.

                                                      I never joined usenet. How long ago was usenet popular? Is it still around? I recall the days of BBS's and all the cool ANSI art. There wasn't a need to worry about fixed width then, it was all 80 column.
                                                      Message 26 of 29 , Apr 4 4:31 PM
                                                        On 04/04/2012 07:22 PM, joshbensadon wrote:
                                                        > I never joined usenet. How long ago was usenet popular? Is it still
                                                        > around?

                                                        It's still around, and it's still active. I was shocked out of my
                                                        gourd to find this out about a year ago. I thought it was completely dead.

                                                        I was (among other things) a news admin at a large ISP for a long
                                                        time. We bought one of the first SGI Origin 2000 systems to build a
                                                        news server; that was fun.

                                                        When I learned that it was still active, I built a news server here
                                                        and finagled my way into getting a news feed. I get all the major
                                                        hierarchies but no binaries. (I don't care about the binaries) The
                                                        technical groups, in particular, are wonderful. My news server receives
                                                        between 30,000 and 40,000 articles per day. (remember, that's not
                                                        including binaries!) Probably 1/3 of that is spam, but the rest is a
                                                        lot of good meat.

                                                        Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                                                        Message 27 of 29 , Apr 4 4:34 PM
                                                          On 04/04/2012 10:12 AM, Bill Sudbrink wrote:
                                                          > Ok, here are a couple of weird things that have "bit" me
                                                          > in the past:
                                                          >
                                                          > Cracked pins. I have had TI pins crack in such a way that
                                                          > they looked good in place, would test good with a probe but
                                                          > were bad during a run. I've seen two kinds of cracks.
                                                          > Warning, bad ASCII art follows:
                                                          >

                                                          > | | <-1
                                                          > | |
                                                          > \ /
                                                          > \ /
                                                          > || <-2
                                                          > \/
                                                          >
                                                          > I have seen cracks at position 1, right where the pin makes
                                                          > the bend to go into the chip body. Straight across the bend
                                                          > on a soldered chip. Almost invisible to the naked eye.
                                                          > Pressure from a probe on top of the pin closed the crack and
                                                          > made the pin look good under test.
                                                          >
                                                          > I have seen cracks at position 2, at the bottom of the taper
                                                          > where the pin narrows to its insertion width. I have seen this
                                                          > in both soldered and socketed chips. In the socketed case, I
                                                          > stupidly didn't notice the missing piece of pin through several
                                                          > removal/insertions. Under test, it can behave just as above,
                                                          > with the pressure on the pin closing the circuit.

                                                          I've seen this failure mode as well. In one case, microscopic
                                                          examination revealed that the only thing holding the pin together was
                                                          the thin layer of oxide. That was a serious pain to track down.

                                                          Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                                                          New Kensington, PA
                                                        • joshbensadon
                                                          Message 28 of 29 , Apr 6 7:47 AM
                                                            I've been struggling with this Tarbell 1011 controller using the FD 1771 controller for a couple of weeks.

                                                            I kept getting FF's out while I was watching good data go in.
                                                            The only time I got any other data, was when the (external) Clock/Data seperator swapped the clock & data.

                                                            I looked everywhere for the problem. I even made my own Clock/Data test pattern generator to give clean pulses. Once again, only when I reverse Clock and Data does it seem to work.

                                                            So, I swaped the Clock and Data. Curiously, the circuit now works!

                                                            The first ID field looks like this...
                                                            FE 00 00 01 00 D2 C3

                                                            I am assuming the CRC (D2C3) is correct.

                                                            Does anyone have any ERRATA on the FD 1771 Floppy Drive controller?

                                                            I am curious if anyone else out there has any schematics or circuits using the FD 1771 with external data seperator and would you confirm Pin 27 for Data, Pin 26 for Clock (as per data sheet) or are these truely reversed?

                                                            PS. Thank you to everyone for all the help, support and invaluable idea's given. And sorry for the mess of hair on the floor :)
                                                            Message 29 of 29 , Apr 6 8:12 AM
                                                              Herb Johnson would know a lot about that stuff, but he is not usually
                                                              checking this list. He can be contacted through his web site
                                                              retrotechnology.com
                                                              http://www.retrotechnology.com/herbs_stuff/s100bus.html
                                                              Bill