VCF East reference:

  • Bill Sudbrink
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 27, 2012
      We got on the big hamfest calendar:

      http://www.qsl.net/w2vtm/hamfest.html

      Bill S.
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 28, 2012
        On 03/28/2012 12:57 AM, rarecoinbuyer wrote:
        > Very cool.
        >
        > I would really like to own a Commodore 64. I have heard so much about them.
        >
        > Do you think it would be possible to buy one at a "hamfest"?

        The way you worded that question makes it seem like you've never
        heard of a hamfest; is that the case?

        Either way, I'm pretty sure I have at least one spare C64; I'd be
        happy to bring it to VCF if you'll be in attendance.

        Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
        New Kensington, PA
      • rarecoinbuyer
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 28, 2012
          Yeah, hamfest is new to me. I first heard about them on the computer group quite recently. I assumed it was for shortwave radio components and such. But I guess computers and other digital stuff can be found as well.

          I am very familiar with the C64 in that I use an emulator on my PC that seems to work well. I enjoy programming the 6502 in the C64 environment. I also had friends that owned C64s way back in the day. I remember well playing Jumpman.

          As good as the C64 emulator is, I suspect it does not sound like a real C64. My big interest in the C64 is digital music and it's SID chip.

          Headed back to Arizona for the summer before VCF but I'll check out a hamfest when I get back in the fall. Thanks for the info.

          > On 03/28/2012 12:57 AM, rarecoinbuyer wrote:
          > > Very cool.
          > >

          > > Do you think it would be possible to buy one at a "hamfest"?
          >
          > The way you worded that question makes it seem like you've never
          > heard of a hamfest; is that the case?
          >
          > Either way, I'm pretty sure I have at least one spare C64; I'd be
          > happy to bring it to VCF if you'll be in attendance.
          >
          > -Dave
          >
          > --
          > Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
          > New Kensington, PA

        • Bob Applegate
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 28, 2012
            Does anyone happen to have a tube tester? Sorry, not for a vintage computer, but a 45 year old radio.

            If so, please email me off-list.

            Bob
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 28, 2012
              > Does anyone happen to have a tube tester? Sorry, not for a vintage computer, but a 45 year old radio.
              >
              > If so, please email me off-list.
              >
              > Bob

              They have one in the NJARC museum at InfoAge.
            • joshbensadon
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 28, 2012
                Hi BoB,

                I have a Tube tester here in Toronto, can I help?

                Cheers,
                Josh

                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 28, 2012
                  I'll be Herb Johnson has one. I used Mike Loewen's when I was at his
                  place a few years ago.
                  Bill

                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 28, 2012
                    On 03/28/2012 09:41 AM, rarecoinbuyer wrote:
                    > Yeah, hamfest is new to me. I first heard about them on the computer
                    > group quite recently.

                    Oh man. I've been going to hamfests since I was eight years old. (35
                    years!)

                    > I assumed it was for shortwave radio components
                    > and such.

                    Well...more "ham radio" gear; "shortwave" is a fairly nondescriptive
                    term that, while technically it does apply here, really doesn't get the
                    point across.

                    > But I guess computers and other digital stuff can be found
                    > as well.

                    Yes; this has (almost) always been the case, since the dawn of
                    computing. Ham radio goes back well over 100 years, as do hamfests; but
                    when computers appeared on the scene they began to meld together quite
                    nicely. And they still do. The rise of eBay has really turned hamfests
                    into a shadow of their former glory, though.

                    > I am very familiar with the C64 in that I use an emulator on my PC
                    > that seems to work well. I enjoy programming the 6502 in the C64
                    > environment. I also had friends that owned C64s way back in the day.
                    > I remember well playing Jumpman.
                    >
                    > As good as the C64 emulator is, I suspect it does not sound like a
                    > real C64. My big interest in the C64 is digital music and it's SID
                    > chip.

                    Eh, emulation. It's handy for getting things done, like building
                    software loads and stuff (I use them all the time for that, mostly in
                    the PDP-8 and PDP-11 world), but when you come right down to it,
                    it's...an emulation. It's handy on your laptop in an airplane or at a
                    hotel, but it will never match the real thing in terms of user experience.

                    > Headed back to Arizona for the summer before VCF but I'll check out a
                    > hamfest when I get back in the fall. Thanks for the info.

                    Definitely do! Good luck!

                    Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                    New Kensington, PA
                  • Bill Sudbrink
                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 29, 2012
                      Dave McGuire wrote:
                      > Oh man. I've been going to hamfests since I was eight years old.
                      > (35 years!)

                      I'm really looking forward to meeting you in person at the VCF.
                      I went to my first hamfest at about ten. Anyway, are you (or
                      any other MARCHers) coming to Timonium this Saturday?

                      Bill S.
                    • David Gesswein
                      Message 10 of 14 , Mar 29, 2012
                        On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 07:56:50AM -0400, Bill Sudbrink wrote:
                        > Dave McGuire wrote:
                        > > Oh man. I've been going to hamfests since I was eight years old.
                        > > (35 years!)
                        >
                        > I'm really looking forward to meeting you in person at the VCF.
                        > I went to my first hamfest at about ten. Anyway, are you (or
                        > any other MARCHers) coming to Timonium this Saturday?

                        I'll be their.
                      • J. Alexander Jacocks
                        Message 11 of 14 , Mar 29, 2012
                          On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 8:08 AM, David Gesswein <djg@...> wrote:

                          On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 07:56:50AM -0400, Bill Sudbrink wrote:
                          > Dave McGuire wrote:
                          > > Oh man. I've been going to hamfests since I was eight years old.
                          > > (35 years!)
                          >
                          > I'm really looking forward to meeting you in person at the VCF.
                          > I went to my first hamfest at about ten. Anyway, are you (or
                          > any other MARCHers) coming to Timonium this Saturday?

                          I'll be their.

                          I'll be they're.  :-)

                          Seriously, my wife, my friend Jonathan, and I will have a vendor table inside the Cow Palace, as we have had every year, for at lest the past seven years.  Drop by and say hello!

                          - Alex
                        • J. Alexander Jacocks
                          Message 12 of 14 , Mar 29, 2012
                            On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 8:50 AM, J. Alexander Jacocks <jjacocks@...> wrote:
                            > On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 8:08 AM, David Gesswein <djg@...> wrote:

                            >> > I'm really looking forward to meeting you in person at the VCF.
                            >> > I went to my first hamfest at about ten. Anyway, are you (or
                            >> > any other MARCHers) coming to Timonium this Saturday?
                            >> >
                            >> I'll be their.
                            >

                            > I'll be they're.  :-)
                            >
                            > Seriously, my wife, my friend Jonathan, and I will have a vendor table
                            > inside the Cow Palace, as we have had every year, for at lest the past seven
                            > years.  Drop by and say hello!

                            I'm tired today, so I didn't think to say that I'll put a sign on my
                            table, with my name, so that anyone who hasn't met me will know who we
                            are.

                            - Alex
                            Message 13 of 14 , Mar 29, 2012
                              On 03/29/2012 07:56 AM, Bill Sudbrink wrote:
                              > Dave McGuire wrote:
                              >> Oh man. I've been going to hamfests since I was eight years old.
                              >> (35 years!)
                              >
                              > I'm really looking forward to meeting you in person at the VCF.

                              Likewise!!

                              > I went to my first hamfest at about ten. Anyway, are you (or
                              > any other MARCHers) coming to Timonium this Saturday?

                              Sadly not; I'm under the gun to get this new controller finished for work.

                              I do miss Timonium, though. One year, probably 2000 or maybe 2001, I
                              showed up in my (no longer mine unfortunately) Unimog 404S. It drew
                              quite a crowd! What a fantastic hamfest that was. I've heard it's
                              nowhere near its past glory, but I'd still love to go.

                              Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                              Message 14 of 14 , Mar 29, 2012
                                On 03/29/2012 09:50 AM, J. Alexander Jacocks wrote:
                                > I'm tired today, so I didn't think to say that I'll put a sign on my
                                > table, with my name, so that anyone who hasn't met me will know who we
                                > are.

                                This is always a good idea. Far too many times at gatherings like
                                that I've stood there having an interesting conversation with someone
                                and didn't know it was one of the people I was looking for, who I'd
                                spoken with online for sometimes years. This happened at VCF last year,
                                when I met Ian in person for the first time. It happened with Ethan
                                Dicks at the Pittsburgh Mini Maker Faire as well.

                                Dave McGuire, AK4HZ