Re: [midatlanticretro] Jim S...a question

    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 18, 2006
      Chris,

      The CRT tube on mine is in the 5"-7" range - quite small. The 5110 was
      produced 'long' before the 5150 PC. I've never tried to open mine up so I
      have no idea about it's construction. Mine has a printer connector on the
      back that uses three (yes, 3) 25-pin D-connecors arranged in a triangle. The
      printer "cable" ends with a small box that has the matching connectors with a
      thumb screw "bolt" that screws into the computer in the center of the area
      bounded by the three 25-pin connectors. The printer weighs nearly as much as
      the computer!

      After IBM gave up on this model, the CRT supplier had all these now surplus
      tubes that he was willing to sell cheap. So some dude named Osborn bought
      them for his portable computer. This is why the original Osborn had such a
      small screen and part of the reason the machine could sell for such a low
      price.

      Jim