Mini is a term from the past that will fade over time.

    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 22, 2012
      At 10:53 AM 3/22/2012, you wrote:
      > > So...one main microprocessor = microcomputer?
      >
      >The use of a microprocessor is a decent measuring stick. This is an
      >unclear area as the minis were starting to use fewer components and micros
      >were gaining significant power.
      >
      >Nobody has a precise definition of what a mini is, just general
      >characterizations that are open to debate and interpretation. My
      >cellphone has more processing power than most computers 30 years ago, so
      >would it be right to call it a mainframe?

      In the early 80's a lot of $10,000 microprocessor-driven business
      systems appeared to compete with the low-end mini market, and to open
      up new markets to smaller businesses. This new class of business
      computer is what I believe did away with the classic minicomputer
      forever. Hi-end microcomputer-driven systems became "business
      systems" "workstations" and "servers". Nothing is absolute.

      I tend to look at the marketing objective of the manufacturer as way
      to assign a subclass to a computer system. Over time the terms
      mainframe, mini, and micro will fade away. This also takes care of
      the "my phone would be considered a mainframe if they had it 50 years
      ago", and the complicated arguments about processing characteristics,
      number of interface ports, storage capacity, etc.

      Bill
    • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 22, 2012
        B Degnan <billdeg@...> writes:

        >assign a subclass to a computer system. Over time the terms mainframe,
        >mini, and micro will fade away. This also takes care of the "my phone

        Are you ripping the pages out of the history books now? :)
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 22, 2012
          At 11:44 AM 3/22/2012, you wrote:
          >B Degnan <billdeg@...> writes:
          >
          > >assign a subclass to a computer system. Over time the terms mainframe,
          > >mini, and micro will fade away. This also takes care of the "my phone
          >
          >Are you ripping the pages out of the history books now? :)

          No, "mini" is a historical term for a certain type of computer from
          the 60's and 70's. Replaced in increasing numbers by business
          micros, workstations, and servers in the 80's until the term fell out
          of use by the Internet age.
        • josh6502
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 22, 2012
            Hi,

            Imho, this is all sales jargon that can't be defined. It's like calling a Computer a "Personal Computer" or calling another computer a "Server". The only definitions that can apply are how they were marketed, in which case, there is no real ryhm or reason. These terms are fixed in time and to a certain era.

            When are the new Nanocomputers coming out? They'll be obsolte when the Picocomputers come. Then all this will be junk when the first photronic computer gets perfected!

            I'd like to compare this to cars. What's a Cross over? All-Terain Vehicle? What happened to the old terms?? I think Roadster was a popular term that has faded away. Wasn't Black Top another term that has been long gone?

            I'm sure this topic has great significance to social studies, but for me, I rather stick to bits and bytes!

            My 2 cents.
            Josh
          • Jeff Jonas
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 23, 2012
              --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, josh6502 <no_reply@...> wrote:

              Josh:
              Please e-mail me since I cannot email you first (you set yourself to no_reply). I'd like to contact you off-list. Thanks.

              -- Jeff Jonas
            • josh6502
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 26, 2012
                > Josh:
                > Please e-mail me since I cannot email you first (you set yourself to no_reply). I'd like to contact you off-list. Thanks.
                >
                > -- Jeff Jonas

                Jeff, did you get my email?

                Just reach me at my full name without the spaces at yahoo.

                Regards,
                Josh Bensadon