Compiled vs Assembled

  • josh6502
    Message 1 of 55 , Mar 18, 2012
      This thread is just for friendly chit-chat.

      I recently made a small error in saying CP/M is compiled. Our good man Dave corrected me. Although we all agree it is a trivial point, we are all also prone to be exact. I guess it comes with the territory of digital electronics? (When the machine code is "F8", then you need an "F8" and "F9" is NOT "close enough".)

      If I understand it correctly (no guarantee's here, I'm definitely not the brightest bulb in the pack). Code that is compiled may create 1 or more machine codes for a single instruction (or line?) of source. While code that is assembled will only ever create 1 machine code for every assembler instruction.

      If that is true. Then one can say Compiled for Assembler but not Assembled for a Compiler. Does that make Assembler more exclusive? I've seen book(s) "The Art of Assembler" but don't recall seeing books on "The Art of Compiler".

      Please note, I don't mean to belittle the higher languages. There is much more to programming than doing an efficient job.

      On a personal note, I do prefer Assembler because of my interests in digital electronics. But if Microsoft stayed with assembler, we might not have every had Windows Vista (no loss there!).
      Message 55 of 55 , Mar 29, 2012
        On 03/26/2012 06:42 AM, josh6502 wrote:
        >> I love 8051s. I've done lots of stuff with them, I have
        >> gazillions of them (both "classic" and modern variants...lots!) and
        >> really enjoy working with them. A lot of people don't like their
        >> architecture but I don't really understand how they feel that way;
        >> I think it works very well, is easy to understand, and is overall
        >> very nicely done.
        >>
        >> I cut my teeth on PDP-11s and Z80s though.
        >
        > I love the 8051's too. After the 1802, they were the next processor
        > I was using. I thought it was wonderful to have a serial port,
        > parallel port, eprom all bundled together in the 8751H chip. Then
        > came all the variants... lots and lots of variants!

        Ohhh yes. More variants than even in the ARM7 ecosystem, it seems.
        My favorite from the Old Days(tm) was the Philips 87C751; a windowed
        skinny-dip package with an on-chip I2C controller. There exists some
        pretty decent (if I do say so myself) hardware in use in the US Military
        today that is running my firmware on those chips.

        Later, having turned into quite a fan of Philips (erm, "NXP" now), I
        totally fell in love with the P89C66x family. Fantastic chips, lots of
        on-chip I/O controllers and lots (for an mcs51) RAM. I ported John
        Katausky's BASIC interpreter (the one used in the 8052AH-BASIC
        masked-ROM chip) to the P89C66x subfamily and extended it quite a bit.
        Great stuff.

        SDCC is perhaps the most popular free C compiler for the mcs51. It
        is very good. I host the build farm for it here on my network. It was
        the least I could do to help when the SourceForge build farm went away,
        as I put food on the table using that compiler for several years in the
        early 2000s.

        > I liked the bit mapped section but I wished there was an indexed
        > methode of getting the bits. Like MOV C,@R0 Where R0 pointed to all
        > the bit addressable spaces.

        Oh yes, that would've been handy! That bit-addressable space sure is
        handy just as it is, though.

        > I even built my own programmer for this chip, but later replaced it
        > with a commercial unit after being fed up having to rewrite my
        > drivers for every new chip. I learned the value of outsourcing!

        I got sick of messing with those sorts of problems and finally broke
        down and bought a big Data I/O UniSite, complete with a big fat hard
        drive, and found someone who can regularly get new software for it.
        I've had no problems reading or programming pretty much any device since
        then. "Nuke the site from orbit; it's the only way to be sure."

        Dave McGuire, AK4HZ