Cray J916 on eBay!

  • BobShuster
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 18, 2012
      These don't come up often, so *just in case* someone wanted one, I thought I'd bring it up! :) Buy It Now only $13K or bidding starts at $9K - local pick-up only. Not quite vintage yet, this is from the 90s, but don't you want a Cray in your collection?!?

      http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190654457915
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 20, 2012
        On 03/18/2012 08:48 AM, BobShuster wrote:
        > These don't come up often, so *just in case* someone wanted one, I thought I'd bring it up! :) Buy It Now only $13K or bidding starts at $9K - local pick-up only. Not quite vintage yet, this is from the 90s, but don't you want a Cray in your collection?!?
        >
        > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190654457915

        That's a beautiful system. I have several of these machines; if
        anyone here gets it, I can help with pretty much everything about it.
        I've done lots of programming on these. It's a bit different from
        programming an "ordinary" architecture.

        If you look at the pics, there's a Cray YMP-EL98 system to the left
        of the J90. That one IS vintage, around 1993. I have two of those.
        Very nicely posed and presented.

        Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
        New Kensington, PA
      • telmnstr@757.org
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 20, 2012
          > That's a beautiful system. I have several of these machines; if
          > anyone here gets it, I can help with pretty much everything about it.
          > I've done lots of programming on these. It's a bit different from
          > programming an "ordinary" architecture.

          I've got a J932SE, and have been slowly working through the
          process of getting it running again. Bare metal OS and SWS install.

          Very difficult.

          There isn't much knowledge out there on them. The Cray-Cyber guys in
          Germany are by far the best resource I've found. They've got some logs
          online. Everyone that has one near-running or running got it with the
          system already working. You don't find people doing bare metal installs.

          Mine is finally to the point where when it starts up UNICOS starts to
          load, but it then kernel panics.

          At some point in the future I may look to sell mine as it's beautiful, and
          awesome, but a burden. I can't keep it at home because I live in an
          apartment, and I'm not sure where my future is. The area I live in has a
          really overpriced housing market because of the military and a pretty
          horrible tech job market. The housing market is collapsing, laughably. But
          it has lots of room to go (shhh, don't tell the realtors.)

          In the meantime, it lives at a hackerspace. It might be featured in an
          upcoming Sparkfun documentary.

          Part of my theory as to the core dump is the network settings (this is
          part of the initial first time boot install.) This is what we're going to
          look at.

          Mine also has a bunch of HIPPI interfaces in addition to the IOS-V
          provided network interfaces.

          I'd like to see pics fo the gigaring setup. I have yet to find those parts
          in the wild. Gigaring replaced the IOS-V.

          I should probably put up an online forum or mailing list specific to Cray
          systems in the wild.

          I also plan to pull the firmware from the Seagate disks that I have, they
          aren't going to last forever and the IOS-V only will accept the specific
          Cray hard drives (found this one out the hard way.)
        • c f
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 20, 2012
            Are you the guy with the cray down in virginia? I may have e-mailed you about my Cray-1 revival project awhile ago.

            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 20, 2012
              > Are you the guy with the cray down in virginia? I may have e-mailed you
              > about my Cray-1 revival project awhile ago.

              Yes! That's me! It's still not fully running. It's pretty close, it seems.

              As soon as we get it running I'll hook you up with access to it!
            • c f
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 20, 2012
                Cool! I've actually got my Cray-1 running at 80 MHz now, and I finally implemented I/O channels for it - I still need to add a DRAM controller to it to give it a full complement of RAM, but other than that it's coming along pretty well. I also snagged a fairly corrupted copy of COS for it that I need to work on doing some signal processing on to try and see if I improve.

                -Chris

                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 20, 2012
                  > Cool! I've actually got my Cray-1 running at 80 MHz now, and I finally
                  > implemented I/O channels for it - I still need to add a DRAM controller to
                  > it to give it a full complement of RAM, but other than that it's coming
                  > along pretty well. I also snagged a fairly corrupted copy of COS for it
                  > that I need to work on doing some signal processing on to try and see if I
                  > improve.
                  > -Chris

                  I heard about the recovery on the old hard drive! Very cool!

                  (Everytime there is anything Cray related in the news people send it to me
                  :-)
                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 20, 2012
                    On 03/20/2012 10:48 PM, c f wrote:
                    > Cool! I've actually got my Cray-1 running at 80 MHz now, and I finally
                    > implemented I/O channels for it - I still need to add a DRAM controller
                    > to it to give it a full complement of RAM, but other than that it's
                    > coming along pretty well. I also snagged a fairly corrupted copy of COS
                    > for it that I need to work on doing some signal processing on to try and
                    > see if I improve.

                    You were able to reverse-engineer the filesystem?

                    Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                    New Kensington, PA
                  • c f
                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 20, 2012
                      Yup! A former Cray engineer helped me - at least, he helped me identify where the actual binary COS image starts in memory, and what the file format of the rest of the disk that contains IOS stuff is. The whole disk is only like 13 megabytes of actual data!

                      On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 11:56 PM, Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> wrote:
                      On 03/20/2012 10:48 PM, c f wrote:
                      > Cool! I've actually got my Cray-1 running at 80 MHz now, and I finally
                      > implemented I/O channels for it - I still need to add a DRAM controller
                      > to it to give it a full complement of RAM, but other than that it's
                      > coming along pretty well. I also snagged a fairly corrupted copy of COS
                      > for it that I need to work on doing some signal processing on to try and
                      > see if I improve.

                        You were able to reverse-engineer the filesystem?

                      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ

                      <*> Your email settings:
                         Individual Email | Traditional

                      <*> To change settings online go to:
                         (Yahoo! ID required)

                      <*> To change settings via email:
                         midatlanticretro-digest@yahoogroups.com

                         http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 20, 2012
                        On 03/20/2012 09:56 PM, telmnstr@... wrote:
                        >> That's a beautiful system. I have several of these machines; if
                        >> anyone here gets it, I can help with pretty much everything about it.
                        >> I've done lots of programming on these. It's a bit different from
                        >> programming an "ordinary" architecture.
                        >
                        > I've got a J932SE, and have been slowly working through the
                        > process of getting it running again. Bare metal OS and SWS install.
                        >
                        > Very difficult.

                        I've done the workstation install on bare metal. That in itself
                        wasn't a big deal. As far as everything else, I have a full factory
                        distribution now, along with docs, and I know an someone at Cray who has
                        access to internal docs as well. If you don't get anywhere, get in
                        touch and I'll see what I can do to help.

                        > At some point in the future I may look to sell mine as it's beautiful, and
                        > awesome, but a burden. I can't keep it at home because I live in an
                        > apartment, and I'm not sure where my future is. The area I live in has a
                        > really overpriced housing market because of the military and a pretty
                        > horrible tech job market. The housing market is collapsing, laughably. But
                        > it has lots of room to go (shhh, don't tell the realtors.)
                        >
                        > In the meantime, it lives at a hackerspace. It might be featured in an
                        > upcoming Sparkfun documentary.

                        Cool. I might be interested in it at some point in the future, now
                        that I'm gainfully employed.

                        > I'd like to see pics fo the gigaring setup. I have yet to find those parts
                        > in the wild. Gigaring replaced the IOS-V.

                        My SV1 has a Gigaring subsystem. Let me know specifically what you
                        need pics of; I can take them tomorrow.

                        > I should probably put up an online forum or mailing list specific to Cray
                        > systems in the wild.

                        I started a mailing list years ago. There were like ten subscribers
                        and no traffic.

                        I just checked; it's still configured on my mail server. And you're
                        on it. ;) supers-at-home@...

                        > I also plan to pull the firmware from the Seagate disks that I have, they
                        > aren't going to last forever and the IOS-V only will accept the specific
                        > Cray hard drives (found this one out the hard way.)

                        Are you certain? That sucks. Come to think of it, I've never tried
                        to put any disks on a Cray that didn't originally come with a Cray.

                        Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                        Message 11 of 13 , Mar 20, 2012
                          On 03/21/2012 12:05 AM, c f wrote:
                          > Yup! A former Cray engineer helped me - at least, he helped me identify
                          > where the actual binary COS image starts in memory, and what the file
                          > format of the rest of the disk that contains IOS stuff is. The whole
                          > disk is only like 13 megabytes of actual data!

                          Wow. Excellent work!

                          When reading about your FPGA project originally, I was thinking about
                          how great it'd be to have an actual purpose-built board for it, so I was
                          considering designing one. Would you be interested in a collaborative
                          effort to that end?

                          Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                          New Kensington, PA
                        • telmnstr@757.org
                          Message 12 of 13 , Mar 20, 2012
                            > I've done the workstation install on bare metal. That in itself
                            > wasn't a big deal. As far as everything else, I have a full factory
                            > distribution now, along with docs, and I know an someone at Cray who has
                            > access to internal docs as well. If you don't get anywhere, get in
                            > touch and I'll see what I can do to help.

                            The workstation wasn't too bad, except all of the gui stuff is pretty
                            broken. The Wish/TCL stuff.

                            I'll power it up in the next few days. There is one file I'm interested
                            in. It's the file used by UNICOS as a configuration. I'll also capture
                            what the output of the thing looks like.

                            > My SV1 has a Gigaring subsystem. Let me know specifically what you
                            > need pics of; I can take them tomorrow.

                            Just pictures. What is it? Is it just a FC disk chassis?

                            > I started a mailing list years ago. There were like ten subscribers
                            > and no traffic.
                            > I just checked; it's still configured on my mail server. And you're
                            > on it. ;) supers-at-home@...

                            Figures.

                            > Are you certain? That sucks. Come to think of it, I've never tried
                            > to put any disks on a Cray that didn't originally come with a Cray.

                            Yep. when it scans the SCSI bus it looks for their devices. Tape drives
                            might be different. This is on an IOS-V.
                          • telmnstr@757.org
                            Message 13 of 13 , Mar 25, 2012
                              Here we go:

                              This is the IOS-V bootlog. This is when the IOS boots up. It sees the 4
                              hard drives (Seagates with firmware that say Cray DDS5). Also FDDI and
                              Ethernet
                              http://users.757.org/~ethan/pics/geek/cray/ios-boot-log.txt

                              Sysinfo file. I'd love to see a valid/default one. This is used by the
                              installer stuff to generate a bunch of files.
                              http://users.757.org/~ethan/pics/geek/cray/sysinfo

                              This is the param.ram. It's used when you kick off a boot_ram, which is
                              what I know to be the step to kick off the Unicos install.

                              I've played with some settings in here. Unicos still panics.

                              http://users.757.org/~ethan/pics/geek/cray/param.ram.txt

                              The hippi stuff is a bit curious. I upped the # of devices as there
                              weren't enough by default, to see if it would help. It didn't.

                              Seeing a valid param.ram from a J series would be nice.

                              Finally the bootlog with the kernel panic:
                              http://users.757.org/~ethan/pics/geek/cray/unicos-bootram-log.txt

                              Looking over things, two things I see taht are of interest. The error
                              about packet.c. I have the IP set to .1, maybe it's dumb and has issue
                              with having the IP on what would be a gateway IP. Will switch and retry
                              that one.

                              Second I see there is some option for system debugging in the sysinfo.
                              Maybe turning that on would provide more info.

                              sn9537-ios0: 03/22/12 17:32:16 packet.c line 297
                              UNICOS: PANIC: immtrap.s: EEX interrupt in UNICOS kernel