COSMAC 2k

  • Christian Liendo
    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 13, 2012
      Did anyone else buy the Spare Times Gizmos COSMAC 2k?
      Message 2 of 21 , Mar 13, 2012
        On 03/13/2012 02:36 PM, Christian Liendo wrote:
        > Did anyone else buy the Spare Times Gizmos COSMAC 2k?

        I have one.

        Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
        Message 3 of 21 , Mar 13, 2012
          At 02:38 PM 3/13/2012, you wrote:
          >On 03/13/2012 02:36 PM, Christian Liendo wrote:
          > > Did anyone else buy the Spare Times Gizmos COSMAC 2k?
          >
          > I have one.
          >
          > -Dave

          No, but I just got an Arduino
        • Bob Applegate
          Message 4 of 21 , Mar 13, 2012
            > Did anyone else buy the Spare Times Gizmos COSMAC 2k?

            Many years ago.

            Bob
          • Bob Applegate
            Message 5 of 21 , Mar 13, 2012
              > No, but I just got an Arduino

              Not quite the same thing.
              Message 6 of 21 , Mar 13, 2012
                On 03/13/2012 02:47 PM, B Degnan wrote:
                > No, but I just got an Arduino

                The great thing about Arduinos (IMO) is that while they're fantastic
                to "get started" with, they are also just standard AVRs (except the
                ARM-based ones of course), and when you "graduate" away from the
                Processing language, you can just program them in C.

                BUT! I've looked at Processing a bit here and there (and the
                libraries, called Wiring) and it's actually quite nice, I'd say nice
                enough for Real Work.

                Those guys did a hell of a job on that stuff.

                Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                Message 7 of 21 , Mar 13, 2012
                  On 03/13/2012 02:56 PM, Dave McGuire wrote:
                  > On 03/13/2012 02:47 PM, B Degnan wrote:
                  >> No, but I just got an Arduino
                  >
                  > The great thing about Arduinos (IMO) is that while they're fantastic
                  > to "get started" with, they are also just standard AVRs (except the
                  > ARM-based ones of course), and when you "graduate" away from the
                  > Processing language, you can just program them in C.

                  CORRECTION:
                  Ugh. I did not mean when "you" graduate; for all I know you've been
                  programming in C for decades. ;) I apologize. I meant "when one wishes
                  to graduate".

                  It's all sorta fresh in my mind right now since a good friend of mine
                  is just now getting into embedded stuff, starting with the Arduino. He
                  is having a great deal of fun. It's just easy to get stuck in that
                  ecosystem, which isn't a bad one at all, but there's a big world outside
                  of it.

                  Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                  Message 8 of 21 , Mar 13, 2012

                    > It's all sorta fresh in my mind right now since a good friend of mine
                    >is just now getting into embedded stuff, starting with the Arduino. He
                    >is having a great deal of fun. It's just easy to get stuck in that
                    >ecosystem, which isn't a bad one at all, but there's a big world outside
                    >of it.
                    >
                    > -Dave

                    THere is a cross over from the vintage stuff. I want to make what
                    amounts to a "fish gasping for air" robot, something that flops
                    around to experiment with so I can see what I really want to do with
                    the thing. Thing Fish.
                    Bill
                  • David Greelish
                    Message 9 of 21 , Mar 14, 2012

                      Posted by: "Christian Liendo" christian_liendo@...   christian_liendo

                      Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:36 am (PDT)

                      << Did anyone else buy the Spare Times Gizmos COSMAC 2k? >>

                      I also have one.

                      Best,

                      David Greelish, Computer Historian
                      President, Atlanta Historical Computing Society

                      - Author, "The Complete Historically Brewed"
                      - "Retro Computing Roundtable" podcast
                      - "Not Another Apple Podcast"
                      - "Stan Veit's History of the Personal Computer" audiobook podcast

                      ClassicComputing.com  |  atlhcs.org

                    • M. Edward Wilborne, III
                      Message 10 of 21 , Mar 14, 2012
                        I've got one.  I don't have time to put it together, though.  Maybe in 5 or 6 years, when parts will be even harder to find.

                      • jaevans@pcisys.net
                        Message 11 of 21 , Mar 14, 2012
                          HA - my twin :)

                          > I've got one. I don't have time to put it together, though. Maybe in 5
                          > or 6 years, when parts will be even harder to find.

                        • josh6502
                          Message 12 of 21 , Mar 14, 2012
                            I loved that article, but I didn't buy one, instead I rebuilt my COSMAC ELF with a RCA VIP twist. I was torn between rebuilding the original COSMAC with 256 bytes of RAM or using new chips for more RAM with less work. I then studied the VIP schematics and having some VIP game manuals, I decided I wanted something to run them. I then combined some VIP with ELF and came up with a system that is compatible with both systems by flipping a switch. The cool thing about this V-ELF is that you can transfer programs to it via RS-232. I've recently added a cassette interface for some old time fun.

                            Did you build your ELF 2K? Post some pictures!

                            Message 13 of 21 , Mar 15, 2012
                              On 03/13/2012 03:29 PM, B Degnan wrote:
                              >> It's all sorta fresh in my mind right now since a good friend of mine
                              >> is just now getting into embedded stuff, starting with the Arduino. He
                              >> is having a great deal of fun. It's just easy to get stuck in that
                              >> ecosystem, which isn't a bad one at all, but there's a big world outside
                              >> of it.
                              >
                              > THere is a cross over from the vintage stuff. I want to make what
                              > amounts to a "fish gasping for air" robot, something that flops
                              > around to experiment with so I can see what I really want to do with
                              > the thing. Thing Fish.

                              You realize of course that, if you do this, it will need to "burst
                              into song" at random, infrequent intervals. ;)

                              Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                              Message 14 of 21 , Mar 15, 2012
                                At 09:13 PM 3/15/2012, you wrote:
                                >On 03/13/2012 03:29 PM, B Degnan wrote:
                                > >> It's all sorta fresh in my mind right now since a good friend of mine
                                > >> is just now getting into embedded stuff, starting with the Arduino. He
                                > >> is having a great deal of fun. It's just easy to get stuck in that
                                > >> ecosystem, which isn't a bad one at all, but there's a big world outside
                                > >> of it.
                                > >
                                > > THere is a cross over from the vintage stuff. I want to make what
                                > > amounts to a "fish gasping for air" robot, something that flops
                                > > around to experiment with so I can see what I really want to do with
                                > > the thing. Thing Fish.
                                >
                                > You realize of course that, if you do this, it will need to "burst
                                >into song" at random, infrequent intervals. ;)
                                >
                                > -Dave

                                That's the idea. My Thin Fish robot.
                              • Dan Roganti
                                Message 15 of 21 , Mar 15, 2012
                                  On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 9:19 PM, B Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:
                                  At 09:13 PM 3/15/2012, you wrote:
                                  >On 03/13/2012 03:29 PM, B Degnan wrote:
                                  > >>     It's all sorta fresh in my mind right now since a good friend of mine
                                  > >> is just now getting into embedded stuff, starting with the Arduino.  He
                                  > >> is having a great deal of fun.  It's just easy to get stuck in that
                                  > >> ecosystem, which isn't a bad one at all, but there's a big world outside
                                  > >> of it.
                                  > >
                                  > > THere is a cross over from the vintage stuff.  I want to make what
                                  > > amounts to a "fish gasping for air" robot, something that flops
                                  > > around to experiment with so I can see what I really want to do with
                                  > > the thing.  Thing Fish.
                                  >
                                  >    You realize of course that, if you do this, it will need to "burst
                                  >into song" at random, infrequent intervals. ;)
                                  >
                                  >             -Dave

                                  That's the idea.  My Thin Fish robot.

                                  well, it can be vintage still, if you use a small vaccum tube for the eyes, so it's glowing when it sings - or gasping for air :)

                                  I upgraded to a new arduino this year, picked up the Mega R3. The Arduino stuff is fine but still pricey, compared to what you can get these days.
                                  =Dan

                                  Message 16 of 21 , Mar 15, 2012
                                    On 03/15/2012 09:19 PM, B Degnan wrote:

                                    >>> THere is a cross over from the vintage stuff. I want to make what
                                    >>> amounts to a "fish gasping for air" robot, something that flops
                                    >>> around to experiment with so I can see what I really want to do with
                                    >>> the thing. Thing Fish.
                                    >>
                                    >> You realize of course that, if you do this, it will need to "burst
                                    >> into song" at random, infrequent intervals. ;)
                                    >
                                    > That's the idea. My Thin Fish robot.

                                    Niiiiice. :-)

                                    Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                                    New Kensington, PA
                                  • jaj@totallyamused.com
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Mar 16, 2012
                                      What happened to the idea of the knife wielding Roomba we discussed at
                                      TCF?

                                      (apologetically top posted from crappy app)

                                      Message 18 of 21 , Mar 16, 2012
                                        At 07:34 AM 3/16/2012, you wrote:

                                        >What happened to the idea of the knife wielding Roomba we discussed at
                                        >TCF?

                                        You need a knife-wielding Rooma to cut up the Thing Fish, I agree.

                                        bd
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Mar 16, 2012
                                          >> You need a knife-wielding Rooma to cut up the Thing Fish, I agree.

                                          That should be your VCF exhibit. Except instead of a Roomba, use a Hero.
                                        • Mike Loewen
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Mar 16, 2012
                                            On Fri, 16 Mar 2012, Evan Koblentz wrote:

                                            >>> You need a knife-wielding Rooma to cut up the Thing Fish, I agree.
                                            >
                                            > That should be your VCF exhibit. Except instead of a Roomba, use a Hero.

                                            One of these years, I'm going to finish my B9 and bring him to VCF:

                                            http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/B9/Stackup2L.jpg

                                            Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                                          • Bee Dee
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Mar 17, 2012
                                              I have one and most of the parts. I want to get another one. One as OEM
                                              and one for customizing. I might wire-wrap one.

                                              You might want to get some of the more rare parts now. (or all of them)
                                              They will only get harder to find and more expensive as the years go by.

                                              Don't forget to check out the parts lists on the wiki.

                                              http://www.sparetimegizmos.com/wdoc/index.php?title=Elf_2000

                                              - Bill D
                                              ... CRAV Computing Hobbyist : Classic/Retro/Antique/Vintage
                                              ..... http://groups.yahoo.com/group/cravcomp/
                                              ..... http://www.donnelly-house.net/