Re: Trenton wrap-up / museum report

  • ysgdhio
    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 12, 2012
      > I was using both ROM / ? switches. Perhaps the disk is bad but my focus was the display so we did not spend much time on it.

      I had that machine working, so I know everything works.

      But those diskette drives suffer from the same sort of "gumming up" as the 3.5" drives in early Macs.
      So the mechanical parts probably just need to be cleaned and lubricated.
      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 12, 2012

        > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, B Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:
        > > I was using both ROM / ? switches. Perhaps the disk is bad but my
        focus was the display so we did not spend much time on it.

        > I had that machine working, so I know everything works.
        >
        > But those diskette drives suffer from the same sort of "gumming up" as
        the 3.5" drives in early Macs.
        > So the mechanical parts probably just need to be cleaned and lubricated.

        Just curious, what do you expect to see when you boot a disk. An A prompt?
        It may be that it worked, but the monitor cable we were using was
        distorting the screen image and the prompt was hidden.

        More time was needed. I looked for the parts to make the cable at TCF, and
        to get a 22 guage wire stripper, but there were no vendors with much in
        that regard this year. Bummer.

        bd
      • Mr Ian Primus
        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 12, 2012
          --- On Mon, 3/12/12, B. Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:

          > More time was needed.  I looked for the parts to make
          > the cable at TCF, and
          > to get a 22 guage wire stripper, but there were no vendors
          > with much in
          > that regard this year.  Bummer.

          You can get a very nice wire stripper tool from Staples or any other office supply store. It's deceptively labeled though, for some reason they call it "a pair of scissors".

          ;)

          -Ian
          Message 4 of 19 , Mar 12, 2012
            >> a 22 guage wire stripper, but there were no vendors with much in
            that regard this year.

            You should've mentioned that -- there's a wire stripped in the toolbox that I keep in my car.
          • Bob Applegate
            Message 5 of 19 , Mar 12, 2012
              > You can get a very nice wire stripper tool from Staples or any other
              > office supply store. It's deceptively labeled though, for some reason they
              > call it "a pair of scissors".

              I use a sharp X-acto. Gently roll the wire until the insulation is cut
              the whole way around, then it just slides off. The trick is to avoid
              nicking the wire and weakening it.

              Wire strippers just don't seem to do a good job, at least not for me.

              Bob
            • Bill Sudbrink
              Message 6 of 19 , Mar 12, 2012
                Bob Applegate wrote:

                > I use a sharp X-acto. Gently roll the wire until the insulation is cut
                > the whole way around, then it just slides off. The trick is to avoid
                > nicking the wire and weakening it.
                >
                > Wire strippers just don't seem to do a good job, at least not for me.

                Really well designed fine wire strippers will only partially cut
                the insulation, not touching the conductor at all. You actually
                break the remaining fine "coat" of insulation. An example would
                be an industrial quality wire-wrap prep tool.

                Bill S.
                Message 7 of 19 , Mar 12, 2012
                  > Bob Applegate wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I use a sharp X-acto. Gently roll the wire until the insulation is
                  cut
                  > > the whole way around, then it just slides off. The trick is to avoid
                  > > nicking the wire and weakening it.
                  > >
                  > > Wire strippers just don't seem to do a good job, at least not for me.
                  > >

                  > Really well designed fine wire strippers will only partially cut
                  > the insulation, not touching the conductor at all. You actually
                  > break the remaining fine "coat" of insulation. An example would
                  > be an industrial quality wire-wrap prep tool.

                  My wire wrap tool must be dull then, and my strippers are not fine enough
                  to strip the coating from the wire. I have no problem with thicker/regular
                  wire. I have four or five that do an ok job for regular jobs, but I came
                  to the conclusion that there must be a specific wirewrap-thin version.
                  ...Or I am not using my wirewrap prep tool correctly.

                  Bill
                • ysgdhio
                  Message 8 of 19 , Mar 12, 2012
                    > Just curious, what do you expect to see when you boot a disk.

                    I'm assuming that's still a CP/M boot disk in there.
                  • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
                    Message 9 of 19 , Mar 12, 2012
                      Mr Ian Primus <ian_primus@...> writes:

                      >--- On Mon, 3/12/12, B. Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:
                      >
                      >> More time was needed.=A0 I looked for the parts to make > the cable at
                      >TCF, and=20 > to get a 22 guage wire stripper, but there were no vendors
                      >> with much in=20 > that regard this year.=A0 Bummer.
                      >
                      >You can get a very nice wire stripper tool from Staples or any other
                      >office= supply store. It's deceptively labeled though, for some reason
                      >they call i= t "a pair of scissors".

                      My dentist calls mine teeth. :)
                      Message 10 of 19 , Mar 12, 2012
                        On 03/12/2012 01:35 PM, system@... wrote:
                        >>> More time was needed.=A0 I looked for the parts to make> the cable at
                        >> TCF, and=20> to get a 22 guage wire stripper, but there were no vendors
                        >>> with much in=20> that regard this year.=A0 Bummer.
                        >>
                        >> You can get a very nice wire stripper tool from Staples or any other
                        >> office= supply store. It's deceptively labeled though, for some reason
                        >> they call i= t "a pair of scissors".
                        >
                        > My dentist calls mine teeth. :)

                        I did that until I was easily into my twenties. :) I use a
                        T-Stripper now, which I like, but I've considered picking up a thermal
                        stripper on the surplus market.

                        Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                        New Kensington, PA
                      • Bill Sudbrink
                        Message 11 of 19 , Mar 12, 2012
                          Dave McGuire wrote:
                          > at
                          > >> TCF, and=20> to get a 22 guage wire stripper, but there were no
                          > vendors
                          > >>
                          > >> You can get a very nice wire stripper tool from Staples or any other
                          > >> office= supply store. It's deceptively labeled though, for some
                          > reason
                          > >> they call i= t "a pair of scissors".
                          > >
                          > > My dentist calls mine teeth. :)
                          >
                          > I did that until I was easily into my twenties. :) I use a
                          > T-Stripper now, which I like, but I've considered picking up a thermal
                          > stripper on the surplus market.

                          Yea, if you're not careful, your dentist will end up calling them dentures.
                          Message 12 of 19 , Mar 12, 2012
                            On 03/12/2012 03:01 PM, Bill Sudbrink wrote:
                            > Dave McGuire wrote:
                            >> at
                            >> vendors

                            >> reason
                            >>>
                            >>> My dentist calls mine teeth. :)
                            >>
                            >> I did that until I was easily into my twenties. :) I use a
                            >> T-Stripper now, which I like, but I've considered picking up a thermal
                            >> stripper on the surplus market.
                            >
                            > Yea, if you're not careful, your dentist will end up calling them dentures.

                            *snicker* Yes!

                            --
                            Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                            New Kensington, PA
                            Message 13 of 19 , Mar 12, 2012
                              "Bill Sudbrink" <wh.sudbrink@...> writes:

                              >Dave McGuire wrote: > On 03/12/2012 01:35 PM,
                              >system@... wrote: > >>> More time was needed.=A0 I
                              >looked for the parts to make> the cable > at > >> TCF, and=20> to get
                              >a 22 guage wire stripper, but there were no > vendors > >>> with much
                              >in=20> that regard this year.=A0 Bummer. > >> > >> You can get a very
                              >nice wire stripper tool from Staples or any other > >> office= supply
                              >store. It's deceptively labeled though, for some > reason > >> they call
                              >i= t "a pair of scissors". > > > > My dentist calls mine teeth. :) > >
                              > I did that until I was easily into my twenties. :) I use a >
                              >T-Stripper now, which I like, but I've considered picking up a thermal >
                              >stripper on the surplus market.
                              >
                              >Yea, if you're not careful, your dentist will end up calling them
                              >dentures.

                              Mine are mostly plastic already due to the misfortunate meeting of my
                              body with the front end of a metal beast from Detroit.