Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: Retro computing survey

  • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 12, 2012
      "billdeg" <billdeg@...> writes:

      >>=20 > The survey can be found on
      >http://www2.informatik.hu-berlin.de/~hristov/e= n.html >=20 > Thank you
      >very much! >
      >

      >I will just say that your questions lack some understanding of what it
      >was = like to be a computer hobbyist in the 60 and 70's. Most people 45
      >or older= 's first computer experirence was with a homebrew system
      >and/or the termina= l interface to a mainframe. In the 60's-70's a
      >computer meant something y= ou built yourself, because that's all that
      >was available.

      ...and some people built them without use of a kit at all!!! Having been
      there, many computer enthusiasts of the time didn't have financial means
      to obtain a computer and, instead, small clubs -- mine was school born --
      were formed which purchased and or built computers that its members could
      use.

      >There were compu= ters before 1977's Apple II believe it
      >or not.

      Oh, say it isn't so. According to a time-line banner that ensconced my
      son's grade school room's walls many years ago, Bill Gates invented the
      computer in 1982! 8)