Retro computing survey

  • hwelko
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 11, 2012
      Hello list!
      I'm placing this cry for help here without being sure that this is really appropriate. If it this is not the appropriate place, please accept my apologies and feel free to remove this submission. Thank you!

      For my thesis I'm doing a small survey about retro computing. I would like to know what the retro computer lovers do currently and what is their motivation for using old hardware and software. The survey can be completed in under 5 minutes and I'll be very grateful for every submission I receive. Any random comments, notes and stories are also very welcome.

      The survey can be found on http://www2.informatik.hu-berlin.de/~hristov/en.html

      Thank you very much!
    • billdeg
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 11, 2012

        > The survey can be found on http://www2.informatik.hu-berlin.de/~hristov/en.html
        >
        > Thank you very much!

        I will just say that your questions lack some understanding of what it was like to be a computer hobbyist in the 60 and 70's. Most people 45 or older's first computer experirence was with a homebrew system and/or the terminal interface to a mainframe. In the 60's-70's a computer meant something you built yourself, because that's all that was available. There were computers before 1977's Apple II believe it or not. The kitch retro "hey that's a cool 8-bit game" is totally different than the original hacker sprit that built the computer in the first place.

        People like me find inspiration in the build your own computer mentality, I like to play games but it would be a heck of a lot easier to use an emulator for just that. The game you play for 20 minutes is what you do after you've spent 6 months to get the computer up and running.
      • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 12, 2012
          "billdeg" <billdeg@...> writes:

          >>=20 > The survey can be found on
          >http://www2.informatik.hu-berlin.de/~hristov/e= n.html >=20 > Thank you
          >very much! >
          >

          >I will just say that your questions lack some understanding of what it
          >was = like to be a computer hobbyist in the 60 and 70's. Most people 45
          >or older= 's first computer experirence was with a homebrew system
          >and/or the termina= l interface to a mainframe. In the 60's-70's a
          >computer meant something y= ou built yourself, because that's all that
          >was available.

          ...and some people built them without use of a kit at all!!! Having been
          there, many computer enthusiasts of the time didn't have financial means
          to obtain a computer and, instead, small clubs -- mine was school born --
          were formed which purchased and or built computers that its members could
          use.

          >There were compu= ters before 1977's Apple II believe it
          >or not.

          Oh, say it isn't so. According to a time-line banner that ensconced my
          son's grade school room's walls many years ago, Bill Gates invented the
          computer in 1982! 8)