SWTPC 6800 plays a tune!

  • Kyle Owen
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 9, 2012
      Hi folks,

      Finally able to sit down and enjoy life without the stress of school
      for a week (spring break...it's about time!), so I had to try out the
      Newtech Model 68 sound card. Chris Hausler was nice enough to dig up
      all of his info on the card and send it my way (thanks again, Chris!).
      Included was a BASIC program to compile the music, and an assembly
      program to play the compiled tune. It only covers three octaves, but I
      hope to change that soon. It'll really be pushing my limits of
      assembly programming...hah!

      I ordered a MAX505 4-channel 8-bit DAC from Maxim. I hope to use this
      to provide some support for some better-sounding music down the road.
      It'll be worth a try, anyways. Also, at the hamfest last weekend, I
      managed to find another AY-3-8910 programmable sound IC and an
      SPO256-AL2 speech synthesis IC, so I will try to interface those with
      the SWTPC down the road.

      Here's the video of the SWTPC playing "The Entertainer":
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfmeD5AyfaU

      I don't expect to win any awards for videography (I don't know why I
      thought you'd be able to see inside it through the tiny holes, haha),
      but I hope it's enjoyable nonetheless! :)

      73,

      Kyle
      W4GNU
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 10, 2012
        Light turnout but overall ok. I was tracked down to repair a vintage Visual Commuter portable. Bought an Ardino and some used harddrives for the shop.

        Good to see everyone.

        I willthink be at Info age till a least 3 sunday
        --
        Sent from my PDP 8/e.
      • Jeffrey Brace
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 10, 2012
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 11, 2012
            Oh, it didn't take me too long. The code was already there, but I did have some translating to do to get it to compile using MASM and interpreted by the Altair 680 BASIC. I'll gladly supply the code if anyone is interested.

            Does anyone know if it's possible to restart Altair 680 BASIC once it's in RAM? I haven't been successful so far. I think BASIC starts at $0100, and the PLAY68 program is at $2B00. Music data, as compiled by MUSIC68 (the BASIC program), gets stored starting at $2C00. Both should be well out of the way for 8K BASIC, right?

            'fraid I won't be making it to VCF anytime soon. School is keeping me busy in Alabama. I am hoping to attend some of the Atlanta meetings, though. Though less active, that club certainly is a bit closer.

            73,

            Kyle
            W4GNU

            >Finally able to sit down and enjoy life without the stress of school
            >for a week (spring break...it's about time!), so I had to try out the
            >Newtech Model 68 sound card.

            >Here's the video of the SWTPC playing "The Entertainer":
            >http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfmeD5AyfaU

            Very cool Kyle ! How long did it take you to do this ? And will you demo at
            VCF ? ;)

            Jeff Brace

          • Bob Applegate
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 11, 2012
              Does anyone have a spare 74LS260 or two they would be willing to share? I'd be glad to drop a couple $$ in your Paypal account in return.

              Yes, I could order some, but I don't need anything else right now and paying $10 S/H for $1 worth of parts is insane.

              Thanks,

              Bob
            • Dan Roganti
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 11, 2012
                On Sun, Mar 11, 2012 at 9:26 PM, Bob Applegate <bob@...> wrote:
                Does anyone have a spare 74LS260 or two they would be willing to share?  I'd be glad to drop a couple $$ in your Paypal account in return.

                Yes, I could order some, but I don't need anything else right now and paying $10 S/H for $1 worth of parts is insane.

                I hope you don't mind if it's datecode is 35yrs old :)
                I can verify it here first before sending it out.
                =Dan