Re: scopes, was Re: [midatlanticretro] KIM-1, It Lives....

    Message 1 of 32 , Mar 7, 2012
      On Mar 6, 2012, at 9:24 PM, David Gesswein <djg@...> wrote:

      >>> I have two so when one decides to be temperamental I can use the other.
      >>> I did buy a digital scope for the straight 8 restoration.
      >>
      >> What'd you get?
      >>
      > The Rigol 1052E. It seemed a safe choice for the low end scopes and I have
      > access to better scopes if I really need one.
      > I'm pretty happy with it for the price.

      Excellent. Some of HP's lower-end scopes are rebadged Rigols; I wonder if yours is one of those models. I've heard they're quite nice but I haven't used one myself.

      >> 7834 400MHz storage scope with every plugin you can think of, including:
      >>
      > Hows the screen holding up? The storage tubes didn't seem to be the most
      > durable. I have 4010 type terminals and a 611 monitor with them. The 611 is
      > the only one with a really good tube.

      The CRT on my "daily driver" 7834 is like new, but the one in my dead frame is a bit worn.

      I'm jealous of your 611. I have a "parts" 611 here, raped of several components and the covers. I missed out on a complete one on eBay last week; I was very disappointed about that.

      Have you done anything interesting with yours?

      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
      New Kensington, PA
    • David Gesswein
      Message 32 of 32 , Mar 10, 2012
        On Wed, Mar 07, 2012 at 05:38:44AM -0500, Dave McGuire wrote:

        > I'm jealous of your 611. I have a "parts" 611 here, raped of several
        > components and the covers. I missed out on a complete one on eBay last
        > week; I was very disappointed about that.

        They have gone up a little since I got mine for $20 9 years ago.

        > Have you done anything interesting with yours?

        Its been to VCF. I demoed it in store and non-store mode. The deflection
        isn't fast enough to keep up with the AX08 without some delays so I also
        brought another monitor that worked better for space war. I can't remember
        what I was drawing in store mode. It may have been spirograph type patterns.
        http://www.pdp8online.com/shows/vcfe08/vcfe08.shtml

        I may bring a RM503 this year since that a good period display for
        the PDP-8.

        My 547 and teletype made it on TV for 8 seconds.
        http://www.pdp8online.com/asr33/asr33.shtml (after the table)