Another great keynote speaker!

  • Evan
    Message 1 of 20 , Feb 17, 2006
      Just confirmed David Ahl, founder/editor of Creative Computing magazine.
      He'll speak at our VCF show at 3:00.

    • Bryan Pope
      Message 2 of 20 , Feb 17, 2006
        Evan wrote:
        > Just confirmed David Ahl, founder/editor of Creative Computing magazine.
        > He'll speak at our VCF show at 3:00.

        I think you should get the founder of Byte magazine as well... I am
        sure he has some more great stories to tell!! ;) ;)

        <duck>

        Cheers,

        Bryan
        Message 3 of 20 , Feb 17, 2006
          alright. Does anyone have any issues? I will take a look. I should have
          some here and or there.

          Message 4 of 20 , Feb 17, 2006
            I have ALL KINDS of iss... oh wait that's not what you meant, is it?

            Message 5 of 20 , Feb 17, 2006
              Anyone know where Carl Helmers / Wayne Green are today?  Are they still with us...?

              One magazine founder is enough anyway.  Besides, you've got ME, the editor of Computer Collector Newsletter!  You should be honored and buy me all the beer I can drink (it's not a lot.)

              > Just confirmed David Ahl, founder/editor of
              Creative Computing magazine.
              > He'll speak at our VCF show at
              3:00.

              I think you should get the founder of Byte magazine as well...  I am
              sure he has some more great stories to tell!! ;) ;)

              <duck>

              Cheers,

              Bryan

            • ysgdhio
              Message 6 of 20 , Feb 17, 2006
                --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Evan" <evan947@...> wrote:
                > Just confirmed David Ahl, founder/editor of Creative Computing magazine.

                Hot diggity!

                Creative Computing was a big part of my formative years.
                My friends and I would wait for each new issue and
                painstakingly type in the programs. The book
                "101 BASIC Computer Games" was also a big hit.
                It will be nice to thank Mr. Ahl in person.

                Andy
              • Michael Nadeau
                Message 7 of 20 , Feb 18, 2006

                  Wayne's in his 80s and lucid, but more eccentric than ever. He'd be unpredictable as a speaker. Carl's running what's left of tech publishing in BYTE's home town of Peterborough, NH.

                  Message 8 of 20 , Feb 18, 2006
                    Thanks for the info, Mike.

                    http://www.waynegreen.com/wayne/badnews.html -- seems a bit crazy, but who am I to criticize?

                    Wayne's in his 80s and lucid, but more eccentric than ever. He'd be unpredictable as a speaker. Carl's running what's left of tech publishing in BYTE's home town of Peterborough, NH.

                    Anyone know where Carl Helmers / Wayne Green are today?  Are they still with us...?

                    One magazine founder is enough anyway.  Besides, you've got ME, the editor of Computer Collector Newsletter!  You should be honored and buy me all the beer I can drink (it's not a lot.)

                    > Just confirmed David Ahl, founder/editor of Creative Computing magazine.
                    > He'll speak at our VCF show at 3:00.

                    I think you should get the founder of Byte magazine as well...  I am
                    sure he has some more great stories to tell!! ;) ;)

                    <duck>

                    Cheers,

                    Bryan

                  • John Allain
                    Message 9 of 20 , Feb 18, 2006
                      > Thanks for the info, Mike.
                      > http://www.waynegreen.com/wayne/badnews.html
                      > -- seems a bit crazy, but who am I to criticize?

                      Most people who saw him at VCFe1.0 had, uh, something to say about the
                      experience.

                      My vote is for Fred Langa, the workhorse of Byte in its prime.

                      Congrats on Dave Ahl, good going.

                      John A.
                    • Michael Nadeau
                      Message 10 of 20 , Feb 19, 2006
                        I'm pleasantly surprised to see that someone who didn't work for BYTE has an appreciation for Fred. He was the last great editor the publication had, and I'm not saying that because he hired me.

                        Fred is living in NY and still publishes his newsletter. www.langa.com. He would be a great speaker.

                        Message 11 of 20 , Feb 19, 2006
                          Interesting ... I read his column in InformatonWeek and had no idea about his background or other newsletters.

                          In anticipation of our success, we'll save him for next year.  I think one editor per VCF (in this case, Ahl) is enough.  Better to get the guys who did the work than those of us who merely write about it.

                          Although he's a great person who could spread the word about our event, so I'll contact him anyway.

                          Message 12 of 20 , Feb 23, 2006
                            Looks like he knows we're working on a museum!

                            Jim

                            --- Evan <evan947@...> wrote:

                            > Thanks for the info, Mike.
                            >
                            > http://www.waynegreen.com/wayne/badnews.html -- seems a bit crazy, but who
                            > am I to criticize?
                            >
                            > _____

                            =Computer+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Field+trip&c=4&s=84&.sig=yQK66sIa
                            > fWZWnP-61n_BTQ> computer Computer

                            2=Computer+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Field+trip&c=4&s=84&.sig=bvgAN5E
                            > Yj4oAGQSA29LvCw> security Computer

                            2=Computer+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Field+trip&c=4&s=84&.sig=E3VSZZU
                            > ZIYQJD2FP1DwFdw> training
                            > Field

                            ter+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Field+trip&c=4&s=84&.sig=6Bps2Ok95uCsZL
                            > SwdHWZfg> trip
                            >
                            > _____
                            >
                            > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                            >

                            > * Visit your group "midatlanticretro

                            > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
                            >

                            > _____

                          • Evan
                            Message 13 of 20 , Feb 23, 2006
                              >>> Looks like he knows we're working on a museum

                              Huh?  I don't get it.

                              Looks like he knows we're working on a museum!

                              Jim

                              --- Evan <evan947@...> wrote:

                              Thanks for the info, Mike.

                              href="http://www.waynegreen.com/wayne/badnews.html">http://www.waynegreen.com/wayne/badnews.html -- seems a bit crazy, but who

                              href="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/midatlanticretro">http://groups.yahoo.com/group/midatlanticretro> " on the web.

                              > *      Your use
                              of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service
                              > <
                              >

                              >   _____

                            • Bryan Pope
                              Message 14 of 20 , Feb 23, 2006
                                Evan wrote:

                                > Huh? I don't get it.

                                I just checked out his website and cannot find any type of reference to us..

                                Cheers,

                                Bryan

                                P.S. I was at the first VCF east and witnessed most of Wayne Green's
                                talk.. IIRC, he was on right after the person who worked on the Apollo
                                mission.. After talking extensively about his days with Byte, he went
                                to discuss his book "Boondoggle" (sp?).. I believe there were many
                                raised eyebrows when he started into that... I left a little bit after
                                he finished that to help Sellam.. I heard that he went into something
                                like eating raw beef will cure cancer...
                                Message 15 of 20 , Feb 24, 2006
                                  Good God, you guys can be as dense as a power capacitor. Associating our
                                  museum with the apocalypse would be *HUMOR*. Geez!

                                  Jim

                                • Evan
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Feb 24, 2006
                                    Hey, I knew it was humor.  I just didn't GET it.

                                    Message 17 of 20 , Apr 3 7:22 PM
                                      On the MARCH VCF web page:

                                      Sellers at VCF may be required to have a valid
                                      California Seller's Permit? Could that be left over
                                      from an event on the West Coast, perhaps?

                                      Bob

                                      http://mail.yahoo.com
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Apr 3 7:25 PM
                                        I think that's supposed to be cellar's permit. You're not allowed
                                        into the basement to see the inventory unless you have a cellar's
                                        permit.

                                        At Monday, 3 April 2006, you wrote:

                                        >On the MARCH VCF web page:
                                        >
                                        >Sellers at VCF may be required to have a valid
                                        >California Seller's Permit? Could that be left over
                                        >from an event on the West Coast, perhaps?
                                        >
                                        >Bob

                                        -- E N D --
                                      • Evan
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Apr 3 7:53 PM
                                          Yup, just ignore that.
                                        • Bob Applegate
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Apr 4 5:06 AM
                                            This does bring up a good point. I don't know if the state is as
                                            aggressive as it used to be, but they used to show up at electronic
                                            flea markets (ie, hamfests) looking for commercial dealers who
                                            didn't have sales tax permits or weren't collecting tax.

                                            MARCH might want a disclaimer that vendors sign stating that the
                                            vendors must determine if they should collect tax and are responsible
                                            for handling the application.

                                            Does NJ have a one-day permit? Someone else here must know
                                            this stuff better than I. To the best of my knowledge, a cellar
                                            permit isn't required unless they're doing transactions in the basement.

                                            Bob