RE: [midatlanticretro] KIM-1, It Lives....

  • Bill Sudbrink
    Message 1 of 32 , Mar 2, 2012
      Dave McGuire wrote:
      > Sent: Friday, Mar
      > I didn't know there was a VGA output option for that scope. Nice!
      >
      > > I also have a Tek 2465A analog scope but its NOVRAM battery is
      > > shot so it is total out of cal.
      >
      > Ok, this is getting weird. My "main" scope is...yes, a 2465A.
      >
      > > It's still good enough to use as a
      > > vector display and I will be bringing it to VCF this year for
      > > that purpose.
      >
      > Replace that battery, man!

      As I think you know, that's the easy part. The total recalibration,
      from what I understand, is a bear!

      > Recently I was lucky enough to get an HP 3458A.

      Wow! That's a nice one. It auto-calibrates?

      > I'm quite jealous of your 9010A.

      Don't be too jealous. I only have two pods, the Z80 and the 8085. I'd
      like to get a 6502 for all of my Ohio Scientific boxes but they are so
      expensive. It has only helped me out a couple of times. It's a bit
      tedious to program. The processor snoop and disassemble features of the
      Arium are a lot more useful.

      > All sounds good to me. I especially like your dummy load selection.

      You know, I was just thinking about that. With incandescent bulbs being
      banned, I may have to "pony up" and pay for a proper programmable load
      and a variac.

      > One of my companies in Maryland shared a parking lot with the Pace
      > facility in Laurel. They were nice guys over there. It wasn't a
      > "customer facing" facility, but when I picked up Pace gear from the
      > local surplus places, they were great about getting me replacement
      > parts and helping me get things running.

      I knew they were nearby somewhere. You have any names?

      > I'm a wick man myself. I've tried 'em all, but I keep coming back
      > to wick. Good-quality wick from MG or ChemWick, not the Radio Shack
      > garbage.

      I was thinking one of the Pace models with the Solda-pult hand unit.
      Maybe a Hakko 808? Really no good? I get by with the wick... let me
      look... It's "SODER-WICK". Manufactured by "SOLDER REMOVAL CO." of
      "COVINA, CA. USA".

      > I'll have to take some shop pics soon. I only have a temporary
      > electronics work area set up in my building now, until the renovations
      > are done (or even started!), but it's working out great so far.

      I'd love to see them.

      Bill S.
    • David Gesswein
      Message 32 of 32 , Mar 10, 2012
        On Wed, Mar 07, 2012 at 05:38:44AM -0500, Dave McGuire wrote:

        > I'm jealous of your 611. I have a "parts" 611 here, raped of several
        > components and the covers. I missed out on a complete one on eBay last
        > week; I was very disappointed about that.

        They have gone up a little since I got mine for $20 9 years ago.

        > Have you done anything interesting with yours?

        Its been to VCF. I demoed it in store and non-store mode. The deflection
        isn't fast enough to keep up with the AX08 without some delays so I also
        brought another monitor that worked better for space war. I can't remember
        what I was drawing in store mode. It may have been spirograph type patterns.
        http://www.pdp8online.com/shows/vcfe08/vcfe08.shtml

        I may bring a RM503 this year since that a good period display for
        the PDP-8.

        My 547 and teletype made it on TV for 8 seconds.
        http://www.pdp8online.com/asr33/asr33.shtml (after the table)