RE: [midatlanticretro] KIM-1, It Lives....

  • Bill Sudbrink
    Message 1 of 32 , Mar 2 4:43 PM
      Dave McGuire wrote:
      > On 03/01/2012 07:52 AM, Bill Sudbrink wrote:
      > > As messy bench is a sign of a clean mind:
      > >
      > > http://wsudbrink.dyndns.org:8080/images/cromemco/bench.JPG
      > > http://wsudbrink.dyndns.org:8080/images/cromemco/bench2.JPG
      >
      > Hey, is that a Tek TDS3102 up there? If not, it's damn similar.

      Well spotted! Yes, that's exactly what it is (well, 3012 (I assume
      3102 is a typo)). It's not half bad for a digital scope. If you
      look closely through the probes dangling from the tool crane, you
      can just make out the Sparkfun O-Clock. The 3012 can "do" the O-Clock
      in X-Y mode with almost no sampling artifacts. You may notice the Nec
      flat screen monitor to the right of the 3012. My 3012 has the VGA
      out option. The nice big display is a lot easier on my rapidly aging
      eyes. I also have a Tek 2465A analog scope but its NOVRAM battery is
      shot so it is total out of cal. It's still good enough to use as a
      vector display and I will be bringing it to VCF this year for that
      purpose. Next to the 3012 is an Arium ML4100 logic analyzer. Below
      the ML4100 is a Fluke 9010A, next to that is a really nice 2MHz function
      generator and on top of that is a totally shot Fluke multi-meter.
      Actually, the Fluke meter is now gone. I was just given a nice shiny
      new M9803R bench meter for my birthday last week. Big, clear, back-lit
      LCD display (again, easier on the eyes) plus a freq counter, rudimentary
      capacitor tester (not ESR )-:), audible continuity tester and a bunch of
      other bells and whistles I haven't played with yet. Top left, you can
      just see my Bug-Trap (a _VERY_ useful tool). Next to it is a MITS
      generic TTL IC tester (not really so useful but I keep it around because
      it's MITS). Next to that is my UV EPROM erase lamp and scattered in
      amongst everything up there are various dummy loads (car lights, etc.)
      on wires with alligator clips and the like for testing power supplies.
      To finish the tour, on the bench itself is my Topmax universal programmer
      and the Toshiba Libretto 110ct I use to run it. Oh, there are a couple
      of generic 300 watt micro-ATX power supplies bolted to the board hanging
      on the underside of the middle shelf and finally my trusty Pace ST45
      soldering iron. One thing missing from my bench is a good desoldering
      tool. There is a nasty old solder sucker and a big spool of solder wick
      in the drawer under the bench.

      Bill S.
    • David Gesswein
      Message 32 of 32 , Mar 10 6:52 PM
        On Wed, Mar 07, 2012 at 05:38:44AM -0500, Dave McGuire wrote:

        > I'm jealous of your 611. I have a "parts" 611 here, raped of several
        > components and the covers. I missed out on a complete one on eBay last
        > week; I was very disappointed about that.

        They have gone up a little since I got mine for $20 9 years ago.

        > Have you done anything interesting with yours?

        Its been to VCF. I demoed it in store and non-store mode. The deflection
        isn't fast enough to keep up with the AX08 without some delays so I also
        brought another monitor that worked better for space war. I can't remember
        what I was drawing in store mode. It may have been spirograph type patterns.
        http://www.pdp8online.com/shows/vcfe08/vcfe08.shtml

        I may bring a RM503 this year since that a good period display for
        the PDP-8.

        My 547 and teletype made it on TV for 8 seconds.
        http://www.pdp8online.com/asr33/asr33.shtml (after the table)