Re: [midatlanticretro] IMSAI front panel ECO question

  • Dan Roganti
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 26, 2012
      On Sun, Feb 26, 2012 at 4:57 PM, Richard Cini <rich.cini@...> wrote:

      All ---

      I'm working on a side project with some of the N8VEM guys and a question came up about interpreting the instructions with implementing ECO 77-0098 (a post-rev.4 change which prevented spurious triggering of the ONE-SHOTS during RUN mode, causing unpredictable program execution.).

      I'm making the changes to a printed copy of the rev.4 schematic. Unless I read it wrong, it seems that the CLR line on U23 is not reconnected to anything after the steps are applied. Has anyone looked at these steps and/or applied them to a schematic and can confirm the steps are correct?

      That does look very strange. You  can't leave the CLR input hanging like that. That must be another 35yr old typo.
      My CPA board is also Rev.4 and the schematics are dated 2/27/76 and I see that ECO is from 9/1/77. So I'm not sure yet if it's been implemented on mine - I'd have to tear apart my front panel to check.But I haven't experienced any weird symptoms on mine for which this is supposed to alleviate.   I know I have the STOP mode implemented , ECO 77-0035 from 3/5/77.

      =Dan

    • Dan Roganti
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 26, 2012

        On Sun, Feb 26, 2012 at 8:09 PM, Richard Cini <rich.cini@...> wrote:

        Bill --

        Ok, maybe there are different versions of the rev.4 schematics floating around. For example, my schematic shows the 76-0061 ECO hand-drawn on it, but none of the other changes. My schematic is dated "Rev.4 2/27/76". If this is right, then it wouldn't show any of the later ECOs.

        Mine doens't have any of the ECO's hand drawn on it either. I just knew it have the STOP mode ECO from the last time I had it disassembled.

        If you have a later version of the schematic that shows all of the ECOs, I'd like a copy. The version I have came with my IMSAI and there doesn't appear to be a version on IMSAI.net for download for me to cross-reference against.

        I have seen any newer version of the CPA schematic yet either.

        =Dan

      • josh6502
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 14, 2012
          I found the original schematic to be poorly drawn so I took the time to redraw the schematic and compare it against my board and the ECO's. I added lots of notes to explain the logic at various points and some color to make it easy to follow. I wish I could share it but Thomas Fischer believes redrawn schematics diminish the originality of the product. So he will not support redistribution of this drawing. Since I've drawn the schematic primarily from his original schematic, I can't say it's mine. And just the same, I must agree with Thomas, the original schematics give it a nice 1970's feel.

          --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Dan Roganti <ragooman@...> wrote:

          > On Sun, Feb 26, 2012 at 8:09 PM, Richard Cini <rich.cini@...> wrote:
          >

          > > Bill --
          > >
          > > Ok, maybe there are different versions of the rev.4 schematics floating
          > > around. For example, my schematic shows the 76-0061 ECO hand-drawn on it,
          > > but none of the other changes. My schematic is dated "Rev.4 2/27/76". If
          > > this is right, then it wouldn't show any of the later ECOs.
          > >

          > Mine doens't have any of the ECO's hand drawn on it either. I just knew it
          > have the STOP mode ECO from the last time I had it disassembled.
          >

          > > If you have a later version of the schematic that shows all of the ECOs,
          > > I'd like a copy. The version I have came with my IMSAI and there doesn't
          > > appear to be a version on IMSAI.net for download for me to cross-reference
          > > against.
          > >

          > I have seen any newer version of the CPA schematic yet either.
          >
          > =Dan

        • Richard Cini
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 14, 2012
            Ok, I understand Todd's point and agree that historical authenticity is important, but only to a point. My primary concern is keeping these old beasts running as best as they can rather than a working museum display where authenticity would be more important.

            There have been a few times that I've tried to use a poor copy of a schematic or a manual in order to troubleshoot and/or repair one of my boards and I would have given almost anything for a readable copy. I muddle through, but it's not fun at all.

            Rich

            --
            Rich Cini
            Collector of Classic Computers

            From: josh6502 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com>
            Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2012 00:12:41 +0000
            To: "midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com" <midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com>
            Subject: [midatlanticretro] Re: IMSAI front panel ECO question

            I found the original schematic to be poorly drawn so I took the time to redraw the schematic and compare it against my board and the ECO's. I added lots of notes to explain the logic at various points and some color to make it easy to follow. I wish I could share it but Thomas Fischer believes redrawn schematics diminish the originality of the product. So he will not support redistribution of this drawing. Since I've drawn the schematic primarily from his original schematic, I can't say it's mine. And just the same, I must agree with Thomas, the original schematics give it a nice 1970's feel.

            --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Dan Roganti <ragooman@...> wrote:

            > On Sun, Feb 26, 2012 at 8:09 PM, Richard Cini <rich.cini@...> wrote:
            >

            > > Bill --
            > >
            > > Ok, maybe there are different versions of the rev.4 schematics floating
            > > around. For example, my schematic shows the 76-0061 ECO hand-drawn on it,
            > > but none of the other changes. My schematic is dated "Rev.4 2/27/76". If
            > > this is right, then it wouldn't show any of the later ECOs.
            > >

            > Mine doens't have any of the ECO's hand drawn on it either. I just knew it
            > have the STOP mode ECO from the last time I had it disassembled.
            >

            > > If you have a later version of the schematic that shows all of the ECOs,
            > > I'd like a copy. The version I have came with my IMSAI and there doesn't
            > > appear to be a version on IMSAI.net for download for me to cross-reference
            > > against.
            > >

            > I have seen any newer version of the CPA schematic yet either.
            >
            > =Dan

          • josh6502
            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 15, 2012
              I wish I could share these schematics. They look great in color. I printed them up on 17x22 paper for my old eyes. I even verified them net by net against my boards. The funny part, was that I bought the reprinted version of the IMSAI manual for the purpose of having a semi-original manual. The thought of putting these new schematics in this manual never entered my mind because I want the manual to remain as original as possible (for something that's been reprinted years later).

              But I'm a little confused about something. Wasn't the IMSAI all about and for sharing of technology? Isn't that why they duplicated the Altair Bus?

              Maybe Todd didn't like the schematics because it was missing the copywrite information, which I just thought would be added later. And now that I think about it, notes can be added to indicate these aren't the original schematics etc... Isn't imitation the sincerest form of flattery?

              Well, onto my next project... time to get this old beastie to run CP/M.

              Wish me luck!

              --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Richard Cini <rich.cini@...> wrote:

              > Ok, I understand Todd's point and agree that historical authenticity is
              > important, but only to a point. My primary concern is keeping these old
              > beasts running as best as they can rather than a working museum display
              > where authenticity would be more important.
              >
              > There have been a few times that I've tried to use a poor copy of a
              > schematic or a manual in order to troubleshoot and/or repair one of my
              > boards and I would have given almost anything for a readable copy. I muddle
              > through, but it's not fun at all.
              >
              > Rich
              >
              > --
              > Rich Cini
              > Collector of Classic Computers
              > http://www.classiccmp.org/cini
              > http://www.classiccmp.org/altair32
              >

              > From: josh6502 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com>
              > Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2012 00:12:41 +0000
              > To: "midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com" <midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com>
              > Subject: [midatlanticretro] Re: IMSAI front panel ECO question
              >

              > I found the original schematic to be poorly drawn so I took the time to
              > redraw the schematic and compare it against my board and the ECO's. I added
              > lots of notes to explain the logic at various points and some color to make
              > it easy to follow. I wish I could share it but Thomas Fischer believes
              > redrawn schematics diminish the originality of the product. So he will not
              > support redistribution of this drawing. Since I've drawn the schematic
              > primarily from his original schematic, I can't say it's mine. And just the
              > same, I must agree with Thomas, the original schematics give it a nice
              > 1970's feel.
              >
              > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
              > <mailto:midatlanticretro%40yahoogroups.com> , Dan Roganti <ragooman@>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > On Sun, Feb 26, 2012 at 8:09 PM, Richard Cini <rich.cini@> wrote:
              > >

              > > > Bill --
              > > >
              > > > Ok, maybe there are different versions of the rev.4 schematics floating
              > > > around. For example, my schematic shows the 76-0061 ECO hand-drawn on it,
              > > > but none of the other changes. My schematic is dated "Rev.4 2/27/76". If
              > > > this is right, then it wouldn't show any of the later ECOs.
              > > >

              > > Mine doens't have any of the ECO's hand drawn on it either. I just knew it
              > > have the STOP mode ECO from the last time I had it disassembled.
              > >

              > > > If you have a later version of the schematic that shows all of the ECOs,
              > > > I'd like a copy. The version I have came with my IMSAI and there doesn't
              > > > appear to be a version on IMSAI.net for download for me to cross-reference
              > > > against.
              > > >

              > > I have seen any newer version of the CPA schematic yet either.
              > >
              > > =Dan

            • Richard Cini
              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 15, 2012
                Josh --

                Indeed you are right. It was all about sharing…sharing knowledge…experience…etc. Sharing enabled the technology to disseminate quickly and to grow into what it is today. That growth made the world better, and that was a strong cultural belief of the people who were at the forefront of this in the early 1970's. At some point, that altruistic feeling went away and other feelings took over. {That's the limit of my sociology knowledge :-))

                I have an original IMSAI manual but it sits on the shelf, along with the other original manuals I have. I almost exclusively rely on the PDF scans I made because it's easier and I don't have to worry about spilling coffee or whatever on them. I could use a new IMSAI binder, though…mine is dogged.

                Good luck. If you look on my IMSAI page, I have a write-up describing how I got CP/M running on my IMSAI.

                Rich

                From: josh6502 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com>
                Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2012 01:25:13 +0000
                To: "midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com" <midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com>

> [...]

                > > On Sun, Feb 26, 2012 at 8:09 PM, Richard Cini <rich.cini@> wrote:
                > >

                > > > Bill --
                > > >
                > > > Ok, maybe there are different versions of the rev.4 schematics floating
                > > > around. For example, my schematic shows the 76-0061 ECO hand-drawn on it,
                > > > but none of the other changes. My schematic is dated "Rev.4 2/27/76". If
                > > > this is right, then it wouldn't show any of the later ECOs.
                > > >

                > > Mine doens't have any of the ECO's hand drawn on it either. I just knew it
                > > have the STOP mode ECO from the last time I had it disassembled.
                > >

                > > > If you have a later version of the schematic that shows all of the ECOs,
                > > > I'd like a copy. The version I have came with my IMSAI and there doesn't
                > > > appear to be a version on IMSAI.net for download for me to cross-reference
                > > > against.
                > > >

                > > I have seen any newer version of the CPA schematic yet either.

              • Mike
                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 16, 2012
                  Although I respect the right of Thomas to restrict distribution of the schematics, I guess I don't get the train of thought.

                  Assuming that the schematics are clearly marked as redrawn/revised in 2012 or whatever date is appropriate, there should be no confusing them as original documents.

                  Regards,
                  Mike Willegal

                  --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, josh6502 <no_reply@...> wrote:

                  > I found the original schematic to be poorly drawn so I took the time to redraw the schematic and compare it against my board and the ECO's. I added lots of notes to explain the logic at various points and some color to make it easy to follow. I wish I could share it but Thomas Fischer believes redrawn schematics diminish the originality of the product. So he will not support redistribution of this drawing. Since I've drawn the schematic primarily from his original schematic, I can't say it's mine. And just the same, I must agree with Thomas, the original schematics give it a nice 1970's feel.
                  >
                  > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Dan Roganti <ragooman@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > On Sun, Feb 26, 2012 at 8:09 PM, Richard Cini <rich.cini@> wrote:
                  > >

                  > > > Bill --
                  > > >
                  > > > Ok, maybe there are different versions of the rev.4 schematics floating
                  > > > around. For example, my schematic shows the 76-0061 ECO hand-drawn on it,
                  > > > but none of the other changes. My schematic is dated "Rev.4 2/27/76". If
                  > > > this is right, then it wouldn't show any of the later ECOs.
                  > > >

                  > > Mine doens't have any of the ECO's hand drawn on it either. I just knew it
                  > > have the STOP mode ECO from the last time I had it disassembled.
                  > >

                  > > > If you have a later version of the schematic that shows all of the ECOs,
                  > > > I'd like a copy. The version I have came with my IMSAI and there doesn't
                  > > > appear to be a version on IMSAI.net for download for me to cross-reference
                  > > > against.
                  > > >

                  > > I have seen any newer version of the CPA schematic yet either.
                  > >
                  > > =Dan

                • josh6502
                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 16, 2012
                    I think he said it "Erodes the legacy" or was it "Dilutes the legacy"? Have you seen the IMSAI Series 2? I love the idea of it, but it might make the original look less unique to the untrained eye.

                    I did intend to work with him on a proper title block to include all rights and credits. A date and note refering to the original schematics would explain the schematics as issued for practical use vs historical keeping.

                    --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Mike" <mike@...> wrote:

                    > Although I respect the right of Thomas to restrict distribution of the schematics, I guess I don't get the train of thought.
                    >
                    > Assuming that the schematics are clearly marked as redrawn/revised in 2012 or whatever date is appropriate, there should be no confusing them as original documents.
                    >
                    > Regards,
                    > Mike Willegal
                    >

                    > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, josh6502 <no_reply@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > I found the original schematic to be poorly drawn so I took the time to redraw the schematic and compare it against my board and the ECO's. I added lots of notes to explain the logic at various points and some color to make it easy to follow. I wish I could share it but Thomas Fischer believes redrawn schematics diminish the originality of the product. So he will not support redistribution of this drawing. Since I've drawn the schematic primarily from his original schematic, I can't say it's mine. And just the same, I must agree with Thomas, the original schematics give it a nice 1970's feel.
                    > >
                    > > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Dan Roganti <ragooman@> wrote:

                    > > > Mine doens't have any of the ECO's hand drawn on it either. I just knew it
                    > > > have the STOP mode ECO from the last time I had it disassembled.

                    > > > I have seen any newer version of the CPA schematic yet either.
                    > > >
                    > > > =Dan

                  • josh6502
                    Message 9 of 16 , Mar 16, 2012
                      An original IMSAI Manual! Nice! You definitely don't want to spill your coffee on that, in fact, you want to research ways to minimize yellowing of the paper, etc.

                      I think I have already found your web site. I'm just still gearing up for this. The system I have included 2 floppy controllers and I'm a little confused why there was 2. Anyway, I'm having too much fun figuring this out without any hand holding, but it's good to know help is out there.

                      So far, I've been able to key in a 16 byte program to save or load RAM through a serial port. I have a RAM mystery to unfold... you see there are two 16K cards installed, yet I can read/write 48K. I'm guessing either one of the cards (the one I don't have documentation on) might be a 32K OR the same ram is mapped twice. Tonight I'm writing a unique pattern to RAM and reading it back, futher, I'll cross check by looking up the data sheets on the RAM chips.

                      Once this mystery is cleared up, it's time learn how to write to a Floppy and deciding which controller to use. I'll definitely read your site! Option 2 might be to load CP/M & the Format command directly to RAM and let it format the floppy disk.

                      Cheers,
                      Josh

                    • josh6502
                      Message 10 of 16 , Mar 16, 2012
                        Hi Richard,

                        I redrew your S-100 Memory board and uploaded it. Hope you don't mind.

                        Cheers,
                        Josh
                      • Richard Cini
                        Message 11 of 16 , Mar 17, 2012
                          No not at all. Thank you for doing that.

                          Can you send me a link to where it is? Can I mirror it on my site (with credit of course).

                          Message 12 of 16 , Mar 17, 2012
                            Hi, I uploaded it to this forum. Check the Files for "S-100 Memory.pdf"

                            --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Cini" <rich.cini@...> wrote:

                            > No not at all. Thank you for doing that.
                            >
                            > Can you send me a link to where it is? Can I mirror it on my site (with credit of course).

                          • josh6502
                            Message 13 of 16 , Mar 17, 2012
                              And yes, do with it as you please. I have never been one to hold back on this kind of work.

                              I'm opening a new thread to bounce some questions on CP/M. Hope you'll join in.