Topical Tshirt

  • jaj@totallyamused.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 24, 2012
      Check out the shirt at shirt.woot.com today (Friday). I'm in for one!

    • Jeff Jonas
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 24, 2012
        --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, <jaj@...> wrote:
        > Check out the shirt at shirt.woot.com today (Friday). I'm in for one!

        Despite my affection for 8" floppies, I'm not impressed

        1) they're read/write, UNLIKE punched cards
        2) and went up to 1.2 meg for DSDD
        for the equivalent of 15,000 tab cards
      • Bee Dee
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 25, 2012
          You have to look here: http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=60692

          It's a nice shirt.

          - Bill D
          ... CRAV Computing Hobbyist : Classic/Retro/Antique/Vintage
          ..... http://groups.yahoo.com/group/cravcomp/
          ..... http://www.donnelly-house.net/
        • David Gesswein
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 25, 2012
            On Sat, Feb 25, 2012 at 04:39:14AM -0000, Jeff Jonas wrote:
            > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, <jaj@...> wrote:
            > > Check out the shirt at shirt.woot.com today (Friday). I'm in for one!
            >
            > Despite my affection for 8" floppies, I'm not impressed
            >
            > 1) they're read/write, UNLIKE punched cards
            > 2) and went up to 1.2 meg for DSDD
            > for the equivalent of 15,000 tab cards

            I assume they were referring to the capability at the 1971 date where
            they were used for microcode loading on IBM 370. Only IBM internally
            could write them at that time.

            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_floppy_disk
          • Jeff Jonas
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 25, 2012
              > I assume they were referring to the capability at the 1971 date
              > where they were used for microcode loading on IBM 370.

              And later on many other devices
              such as my high school's RJE terminal.

              > Only IBM internally could write them at that time.
              > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_floppy_disk

              Oh, right!
              Similarly, ZIP, Jaz and other magnetic media
              could not be low-level formatted outside of the factory.
              Kinda like the way servo tracks can only be written
              by precision machines, not the home version.