newly acquired Macintosh 128K up and printing

  • Mike
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 23, 2012
      It was quite a neat experience fixing and operating this machine. I haven't run a Macintosh 128K in almost 28 years! I added an image of my first printout to photos:

      The bottom image on this sheet was used as the internal development team logo for the Gould/Computer Systems Division Seahawk CPU project back in 1984 or thereabouts.

      Regards,
      Mike Willegal
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 23, 2012
        > It was quite a neat experience fixing and operating this machine. I haven't run a Macintosh 128K in almost 28 years! I added an image of my first printout to photos:
        >
        > The bottom image on this sheet was used as the internal development team logo for the Gould/Computer Systems Division Seahawk CPU project back in 1984 or thereabouts.

        Cool.

        We have a working one in our museum. It's been upgraded with a
        top-mounted fan/surge protector and extra RAM. It is interesting when we
        get to explain to museum visitors, especially kids, that they already
        know how to use this computer despite it being from 1984 (usually before
        they were born!)
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 23, 2012
          On 02/24/2012 12:11 AM, Evan Koblentz wrote:
          > We have a working one in our museum. It's been upgraded with a
          > top-mounted fan/surge protector and extra RAM. It is interesting when we
          > get to explain to museum visitors, especially kids, that they already
          > know how to use this computer despite it being from 1984 (usually before
          > they were born!)

          Umm. :) I can attest to this. My fiancee' was born in 1983 (she's a
          bit younger than I am ;)) and she took to an original Mac like a fish to
          water.

          Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
          New Kensington, PA
        • Christian Liendo
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 24, 2012
            It's funny, a few years ago I would see people pretty much giving away 128ks and now after Steve Job's death they are commanding incredible prices.

            I have an SE30 which I like because it is fast as heck..
          • Mike Loewen
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 24, 2012
              On Fri, 24 Feb 2012, Dave McGuire wrote:

              > On 02/24/2012 12:11 AM, Evan Koblentz wrote:
              >> We have a working one in our museum. It's been upgraded with a
              >> top-mounted fan/surge protector and extra RAM. It is interesting when we
              >> get to explain to museum visitors, especially kids, that they already
              >> know how to use this computer despite it being from 1984 (usually before
              >> they were born!)
              >
              > Umm. :) I can attest to this. My fiancee' was born in 1983 (she's a
              > bit younger than I am ;)) and she took to an original Mac like a fish to
              > water.

              Is that why Macs make good aquariums? :-)

              Mike Loewen mloewen@...
            • Mike
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 24, 2012
                Extra ram really makes a huge difference with this machine. With only 128K, it runs out of memory so fast, it's incredible. For instance, it has some code that runs when memory gets low to increase available memory. It does this by automatically dismounting floppies that are not currently inserted in the drive.

                My original 128K was converted to 512K and then a plus and then an aquarium. :-)

                Regards,
                Mike W.

                > > It was quite a neat experience fixing and operating this machine. I haven't run a Macintosh 128K in almost 28 years! I added an image of my first printout to photos:
                > >
                > > The bottom image on this sheet was used as the internal development team logo for the Gould/Computer Systems Division Seahawk CPU project back in 1984 or thereabouts.
                >
                > Cool.
                >
                > We have a working one in our museum. It's been upgraded with a
                > top-mounted fan/surge protector and extra RAM. It is interesting when we
                > get to explain to museum visitors, especially kids, that they already
                > know how to use this computer despite it being from 1984 (usually before
                > they were born!)

              • Jeff Jonas
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 24, 2012
                  >> It was quite a neat experience
                  >> fixing and operating this machine.
                  >> I haven't run a Macintosh 128K in almost 28 years!

                  > We have a working one in our museum. It's been upgraded
                  > with a top-mounted fan/surge protector and extra RAM.
                  > It is interesting when we get to explain to museum visitors,
                  > especially kids, that they already know
                  > how to use this computer despite it being from 1984
                  > (usually before they were born!)

                  I used an Apple Lisa with the "twiggy" drive around 1984 for composing and editing documentation. The client was mostly mainframes and had no clue what word processing was about. It made re-writes and revisions less painful.

                  Just for comparison, next to the Mac, put a PC running WordPerfect and a Z80 CP/M system running WordStar and have a race to see who can compose a document fastest :-)