Re: [Tandy6000] drive substitution

  • Chris M
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 15, 2006
      that same format is reproduced on a 3.5 inch disk (in
      a 3.5 inch drive in a T6000). The fact that you can
      substitute that type of drive is evidence that the it
      is identical to an 8 inch drive (once its in there).
      Therefore the 2 types of disks (formatted) are
      analogous to one another. A 6000 only recognizes 1
      type of drive. Its not like an IBM where theres 2
      styles of formats (1.2 or 1.44 meg). Seems thats the
      way its going to work anyway.
      --- Tandy6000@yahoogroups.com <neilsmorr@...>
      wrote:

      > It seems that the 3.5" disk has more sectors than
      the 8" disk. In order to
      > make the directory system work you'd have to skip
      sectors on the 3.5" drive.
      > Also, the 8" disks have a single density boot track
      and double density other
      > tracks. Odd format.
      >
      > Neil

      onto a
      > > 3.5 inch disk look any different then the same
      image
      > > dumped to an 8 inch disk? Maybe you all know
      something
      > > that I dont, but I dont understand how - being
      that,
      > > as weve so often heard, high density 3.5 and 5.25
      inch
      > > drives are electrically identical to 8 inch drives
      -
      > > an image residing on either type of media would
      look
      > > any different to the OS running on the host
      computer?

      http://mail.yahoo.com