Tomorrow @ museum

    Message 1 of 19 , Feb 18, 2012
      One of the things we might do tomorrow is quick-and-dirty testing of our
      four Rainbow 100s. We can problem sell two of them. Price and details to
      be determined. But, if any MARCHins want to throw your hats in the
      preliminary ring, then email me off-list.
      Message 2 of 19 , Feb 19, 2012
        > One of the things we might do tomorrow is quick-and-dirty testing of our four Rainbow 100s. We can problem sell two of them. Price and details to be determined. But, if any MARCHins want to throw your hats in the preliminary ring, then email me off-list.

        I was wrong. These aren't Rainbow 100s. They are DECmate IIs.

        We attempted to test all four of them. But I think we didn't have the
        right disk. We tried using a known-good CPM disk -- it works fine for
        booting the Rainbow that we have on exhibit. I thought it would work in
        the 'mates, but no such luck.

        Two of the 'mates got as far as showing a disk icon. The other two
        showed what I think are error codes -- 32, 48, etc.

        DEC-heads, what should we do next? Is there a different boot disk that
        we need?
        Message 3 of 19 , Feb 19, 2012
          On 02/19/2012 09:05 PM, Evan Koblentz wrote:
          >> One of the things we might do tomorrow is quick-and-dirty testing
          >> of our four Rainbow 100s. We can problem sell two of them. Price
          >> and details to be determined. But, if any MARCHins want to throw
          >> your hats in the preliminary ring, then email me off-list.
          >
          > I was wrong. These aren't Rainbow 100s. They are DECmate IIs.
          >
          > We attempted to test all four of them. But I think we didn't have
          > the right disk. We tried using a known-good CPM disk -- it works fine
          > for booting the Rainbow that we have on exhibit. I thought it would
          > work in the 'mates, but no such luck.

          Nope...The DECmate line (-I, -II, -III, -III+) are basically tiny,
          partially lobotomized PDP-8s. They are built around the Harris/Intersil
          6120, which is a single-chip PDP-8.

          The -I is built into a VT100 chassis, you've seen the -II, and the
          -III/-III+ look very much like MicroVAX-2000 lunchbox machines.

          They were marketed as dedicated word processors, running "appliance"
          software called WPS. It was actually pretty good. There's a hacked-up
          version of OS/8 for them called OS/278, which isn't very good. The
          register-level interface for the console terminal port is incompatible
          with that of the standard KL8 interface, and lots of software writes
          directly to it, which means many programs written for PDP-8 systems will
          not run under OS/278.

          I'm pretty sure there was actually a CP/M option card for at least
          the -II and possibly (a different one) for the -III. They won't, of
          course, run CP/M without such a card.

          Long ago, I investigated the possibility of doing a hardware mod to
          the -II to make its console IOTs compatible with the KL8, but it ended
          up requiring more logic than would have comfortably fit in the chassis.
          That sucks, because I could've sold a bunch of them.

          > DEC-heads, what should we do next? Is there a different boot disk
          > that we need?

          OS/278 and/or WPS. I have both, but not yet in PA. I will get you
          copies of it when I can, unless someone beats me to it.

          Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
          New Kensington, PA
        • David Gesswein
          Message 4 of 19 , Feb 19, 2012
            On Sun, Feb 19, 2012 at 09:05:58PM -0500, Evan Koblentz wrote:

            > Two of the 'mates got as far as showing a disk icon. The other two
            > showed what I think are error codes -- 32, 48, etc.

            32 is system board diskette drive interface, Says to check to see
            if the interal drive power and signal cables are connected properly.

            48 doesn't have a description but has a check for replace system board
            and replace keyboard so it may be a keyboard problem.

            > DEC-heads, what should we do next? Is there a different boot disk that
            > we need?

            I can send you a boot disk. I have OS278 and WPS for it.
            You can also make one if you have a PC with a high density drive and
            low density floppies.
            Message 5 of 19 , Feb 19, 2012
              > I can send you a boot disk. I have OS278 and WPS for it.

              That'd be great, thanks. I will email you my address.

              The CPM packet came with a disk that said WPS on the label, but I forget
              the details. We did not try that disk because we didn't know what it was.
            • Jeffrey Brace
              Message 6 of 19 , Feb 19, 2012
                >32 is system board diskette drive interface, Says to check to see
                >if the interal drive power and signal cables are connected properly.

                > 48 doesn't have a description but has a check for replace system board
                > and replace keyboard so it may be a keyboard problem.

                Also there was a 16 error.

                Plus how can we check to see if there is a hard drive attached or not ? I
                mean other than opening the case ? Is there a command ?

                By the way I like the "DO" button. Kinda like Jean-Luc Picard: "Make it so!"

                Jeff3 B
                Message 7 of 19 , Feb 19, 2012
                  > how can we check to see if there is a hard drive attached or not ? I
                  > mean other than opening the case

                  The case won't byte. :)
                  Message 8 of 19 , Feb 19, 2012
                    On 02/19/2012 11:25 PM, Jeffrey Brace wrote:
> [...]

                    Yes, but it's a lot easier to open the case. ;) Put your hands on
                    each side of the case underneath the lip, pull the two nubs (I think)
                    toward you, wiggle them (I think) to the sides to latch them, then lift.
                    About five seconds. Drives are on the right in plain view.

                    > By the way I like the "DO" button. Kinda like Jean-Luc Picard: "Make it so!"

                    Indeed. ;) That key is rarely used in other LK201 applications
                    (VT320/330/340/420 etc).

                    Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                    New Kensington, PA
                  • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
                    Message 9 of 19 , Feb 20, 2012
                      Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:

                      >{...snip...}
                      > Indeed. ;) That key is rarely used in other LK201 applications
                      >(VT320/330/340/420 etc).

                      Rarely used? By whom?

                      LSE and TPU users make extensive use of it. It's the equivalent of EDT's
                      GOLD/7.
                      Message 10 of 19 , Feb 20, 2012
                        On Feb 20, 2012, at 9:10 AM, system@... wrote:
                        > Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:
                        >
                        >> {...snip...}
                        >> Indeed. ;) That key is rarely used in other LK201 applications
                        >> (VT320/330/340/420 etc).
                        >
                        > Rarely used? By whom?
                        >
                        > LSE and TPU users make extensive use of it. It's the equivalent of EDT's
                        > GOLD/7.

                        Point taken. I'm pretty sure, though, that non-VMS use of LK201s is more common that VMS use. I did not say "never".

                        And real men use EDT! ;)

                        Message 11 of 19 , Feb 20, 2012
                          Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:

                          >On Feb 20, 2012, at 9:10 AM, system@... wrote: >
                          >Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:=20 >=20 >> {...snip...} >>
                          >Indeed. ;) That key is rarely used in other LK201 applications >>
                          >(VT320/330/340/420 etc).=20 >=20 > Rarely used? By whom? >=20 > LSE and
                          >TPU users make extensive use of it. It's the equivalent of EDT's >
                          >GOLD/7.
                          >
                          > Point taken. I'm pretty sure, though, that non-VMS use of LK201s is
                          >more= common that VMS use. I did not say "never".
                          >
                          > And real men use EDT! ;)

                          The only time I used TPU was not as the EVE editor but for text processing
                          to generate reports of laboratory egress for my Uncle Sam. I wrote all of
                          the code for controlling the laboratory lock systems in a DoD lab and used
                          called-TPU for "report generation" which scavenged its log files. TPU can
                          be called like any other language subroutine.

                          FWIW, my EDT initialization macro is now 205 lines long. I never made the
                          transition to using EVE when VMS engineering foisted it upon us. That old
                          screwdriver still works, in many cases, better than newer electric ones! ;)
                        • David Gesswein
                          Message 12 of 19 , Feb 20, 2012
                            On Sun, Feb 19, 2012 at 11:25:13PM -0500, Jeffrey Brace wrote:
                            > Also there was a 16 error.

                            That a keyboard error

                            > Plus how can we check to see if there is a hard drive attached or not ? I
                            > mean other than opening the case ? Is there a command ?

                            A test disk may tell you. I didn't find it in a quick look. Like previous
                            email said opening case is easy. Move latches and lift top straight up.

                            The other think that would be good to check is if option boards are present.
                            They are uncommon so effect value. You can sell some from the back if an
                            extra connector is present at the option board spot or the APU light blinks
                            after power on.

                            The manual is here
                            http://www.pdp8online.com/pdp8cgi/query_docs/queryb.pl?level=1ek-decm2-om-002;id=192

                            Pg 2/3 show latches and tell how to open case.
                            Pg 5 shows APU led and option connector location.
                            Pg 8/9 shows how to pull out system board to check for option boards.
                            Just remove the power supply and floppy cable from the system board then
                            loosen the thumbscrews and it should pull out enough to check for daughter
                            cards.
                            Message 13 of 19 , Feb 20, 2012
                              On 02/20/2012 10:18 AM, system@... wrote:
                              > The only time I used TPU was not as the EVE editor but for text processing
                              > to generate reports of laboratory egress for my Uncle Sam. I wrote all of
                              > the code for controlling the laboratory lock systems in a DoD lab and used
                              > called-TPU for "report generation" which scavenged its log files. TPU can
                              > be called like any other language subroutine.

                              Sounds like good stuff. I've fired it up once or twice, but never
                              really used it.

                              > FWIW, my EDT initialization macro is now 205 lines long. I never made the
                              > transition to using EVE when VMS engineering foisted it upon us. That old
                              > screwdriver still works, in many cases, better than newer electric ones! ;)

                              Nicely put. :) EDT is a really, really nice editor. I stuck with it
                              in VMS for the most part after transitioning from RSTS/E, and then ended
                              up moving to emacs when it was ported, because I used emacs everywhere
                              else. I still use EDT under RSTS/E, though for less "important"
                              applications nowadays, because porting a full-blown emacs to that
                              platform would be tough at best. ;)

                              But it bears saying again: EDT is a really, really nice editor!
                              Those guys really outdid themselves with that program.

                              Message 14 of 19 , Feb 20, 2012
                                Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:

                                >{...snip...}
                                > Nicely put. :) EDT is a really, really nice editor. I stuck with it
                                >in VMS for the most part after transitioning from RSTS/E, and then ended
                                >up moving to emacs when it was ported, because I used emacs everywhere
                                >else. I still use EDT under RSTS/E, though for less "important"
                                >applications nowadays, because porting a full-blown emacs to that
                                >platform would be tough at best. ;)

                                The Emacs port for VMS is old (19.something). I was once tasked with doing
                                a port of a newer version (21.something) but the unixification of the code
                                was too much to bear. Its .configure was an FN mess. And fork() may have
                                uses in a unixy environment but it is one of those OS specific C features
                                that is NOT a cross-platform (ie. OS) feature. It's really out of place in
                                the VMS OS paradigm. I've asked numerous people/times what fork() on VMS
                                would/should look like -- in order to hack some reasonableness for it into
                                VMS -- but the concensus was too disparate to be able to do something that
                                would appease all of its invocations. Besides, I'd rather see pthreads in
                                use. There's less overhead and it's far more portable in the modern day.

                                > But it bears saying again: EDT is a really, really nice editor! Those
                                >guys really outdid themselves with that program.

                                One of the reasons I run about with a 17" Toshiba Satellite running linux
                                and not one of my 17" MacBook Pros. The Satellite has an alternate keypad
                                which is a must for EDT. Sadly, the stupid PeeCee crowd insists on having
                                that HUGE [+] key where two keys appear on all other keyboards. I have to
                                modmap a shift-[+] to get the other key functionality. I have a full size
                                Apple keyboard which works well with the Mac but I hate having to lug more
                                kit about than is necessary. Besides, I find I can customize the linux's
                                xterm to be more VT220 like than the iTerm on Mac OS X. It's xterm is too
                                kludge to bother with trying to get it to do VT200 series emulation.
                                Message 15 of 19 , Feb 20, 2012
                                  On 02/20/2012 11:28 AM, system@... wrote:
                                  >> {...snip...}
                                  >> Nicely put. :) EDT is a really, really nice editor. I stuck with it
                                  >> in VMS for the most part after transitioning from RSTS/E, and then ended
                                  >> up moving to emacs when it was ported, because I used emacs everywhere
                                  >> else. I still use EDT under RSTS/E, though for less "important"
                                  >> applications nowadays, because porting a full-blown emacs to that
                                  >> platform would be tough at best. ;)
                                  >
                                  > The Emacs port for VMS is old (19.something). I was once tasked with doing
                                  > a port of a newer version (21.something) but the unixification of the code
                                  > was too much to bear. Its .configure was an FN mess. And fork() may have
                                  > uses in a unixy environment but it is one of those OS specific C features
                                  > that is NOT a cross-platform (ie. OS) feature. It's really out of place in
                                  > the VMS OS paradigm. I've asked numerous people/times what fork() on VMS
                                  > would/should look like -- in order to hack some reasonableness for it into
                                  > VMS -- but the concensus was too disparate to be able to do something that
                                  > would appease all of its invocations. Besides, I'd rather see pthreads in
                                  > use. There's less overhead and it's far more portable in the modern day.

                                  Yes of course, but there are plenty of things that emacs needs fork()
                                  for. Version control interfaces come to mind, as do things like "M-x
                                  shell". Don't get me wrong, pthreads is great, but it can't replace
                                  fork(). (otherwise it probably would have in the UNIX world! ;))

                                  I'd think a compatibility layer could be written to emulate the
                                  proper semantics with lib$spawn(), but admittedly I've never actually
                                  tried to do it, and from what you're saying, I shouldn't! ;)

                                  >> But it bears saying again: EDT is a really, really nice editor! Those
                                  >> guys really outdid themselves with that program.
                                  >
                                  > One of the reasons I run about with a 17" Toshiba Satellite running linux
                                  > and not one of my 17" MacBook Pros. The Satellite has an alternate keypad
                                  > which is a must for EDT. Sadly, the stupid PeeCee crowd insists on having
                                  > that HUGE [+] key where two keys appear on all other keyboards. I have to
                                  > modmap a shift-[+] to get the other key functionality. I have a full size
                                  > Apple keyboard which works well with the Mac but I hate having to lug more
                                  > kit about than is necessary. Besides, I find I can customize the linux's
                                  > xterm to be more VT220 like than the iTerm on Mac OS X. It's xterm is too
                                  > kludge to bother with trying to get it to do VT200 series emulation.

                                  I'm right there with you. The PC crowd never seems to get it right.

                                  I switched away from OS X fairly recently; I used iTerm for all of my
                                  VT220-requiring stuff and it was pretty good. One thing I'm still
                                  struggling with under modern Linux is decent VT220 emulation. If you
                                  have any pointers (or resource file snippets!) handy, I'd greatly
                                  appreciate it. I've worked with xterm since X10 (no typo there), but
                                  this is Gnome Terminal, not xterm...almost thinking I should just use
                                  xterm when I need better emulation! ;)

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Feb 20, 2012
                                    Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:

                                    >{...snip...}
                                    > Yes of course, but there are plenty of things that emacs needs fork()
                                    >for. Version control interfaces come to mind, as do things like "M-x
                                    >shell". Don't get me wrong, pthreads is great, but it can't replace
                                    >fork(). (otherwise it probably would have in the UNIX world! ;))

                                    I understand its uses and its usage in Emacs, but I think that there could
                                    have been some more "insular thought" put into these interfaces that fork
                                    enable in it. That helps to make it much more portable as pieces can be
                                    easily supplanted.

                                    > I'd think a compatibility layer could be written to emulate the
                                    >proper semantics with lib$spawn(), but admittedly I've never actually
                                    >tried to do it, and from what you're saying, I shouldn't! ;)

                                    Well, LIB$SPAWN is pretty heavyweight for most application. SYS$CREPRC,
                                    which is at the heart of LIB$SPAWN's process creation, would suffice but
                                    the problem is implementing the shared channels (handles for the not-so-
                                    savvy crowd reading) in an environment that views a process as a private
                                    entity.

                                    >{...snip...}
                                    > I'm right there with you. The PC crowd never seems to get it right.

                                    ;)

                                    > I switched away from OS X fairly recently; I used iTerm for all of my
                                    >VT220-requiring stuff and it was pretty good. One thing I'm still
                                    >struggling with under modern Linux is decent VT220 emulation. If you
                                    >have any pointers (or resource file snippets!) handy, I'd greatly
                                    >appreciate it. I've worked with xterm since X10 (no typo there), but
                                    >this is Gnome Terminal, not xterm...almost thinking I should just use
                                    >xterm when I need better emulation! ;)

                                    Well, I suppose I used the term 'xterm' loosely. It's the gnome term on
                                    linux that I'm using. With a bit of understanding, xmodmaps, and a few
                                    resource defs in Xresources, it seems to get me a rather reasonable VT200.

                                    One of the things you can also do is pull over the dec fonts from a VMS
                                    system and establish them in your font path. There's no concept of the
                                    SHDW or DHDW font in most of the fonts in the base linux distros. I've
                                    put mine into my base login's .font directory:

                                    drwxr-xr-x 21 vaxman vaxman 4096 2011-08-29 15:50 ./
                                    drwxr-xr-x 87 vaxman vaxman 4096 2012-02-20 11:49 ../
                                    drwxr-xr-x 2 vaxman vaxman 24576 2011-07-05 21:54 100dpi/
                                    drwxr-xr-x 2 vaxman vaxman 20480 2011-07-05 21:54 75dpi/
                                    drwxr-xr-x 2 vaxman vaxman 4096 2011-07-05 21:54 common/
                                    drwxr-xr-x 2 vaxman vaxman 4096 2011-07-05 21:54 cursor16/
                                    drwxr-xr-x 2 vaxman vaxman 4096 2011-07-05 21:54 cursor32/
                                    drwxr-xr-x 2 vaxman vaxman 20480 2011-07-05 21:54 euro_100dpi/
                                    drwxr-xr-x 2 vaxman vaxman 20480 2011-07-05 21:54 euro_75dpi/
                                    drwxr-xr-x 2 vaxman vaxman 4096 2011-07-05 21:54 euro_common/
                                    -rw-r--r-- 1 vaxman vaxman 2 2011-07-05 21:56 fonts.dir
                                    drwxr-xr-x 2 vaxman vaxman 4096 2011-07-05 21:54 pex/
                                    drwxr-xr-x 2 vaxman vaxman 4096 2011-07-05 21:54 speedo/
                                    drwxr-xr-x 2 vaxman vaxman 4096 2011-07-05 21:54 truetype/
                                    drwxr-xr-x 2 vaxman vaxman 4096 2011-07-05 21:54 type1/
                                    drwxr-xr-x 2 vaxman vaxman 4096 2011-07-05 21:54 user_100dpi/
                                    drwxr-xr-x 2 vaxman vaxman 4096 2011-07-05 21:54 user_75dpi/
                                    drwxr-xr-x 2 vaxman vaxman 4096 2011-07-05 21:54 user_common/
                                    drwxr-xr-x 2 vaxman vaxman 4096 2011-07-05 21:54 user_cursor16/
                                    drwxr-xr-x 2 vaxman vaxman 4096 2011-07-05 21:54 user_cursor32/
                                    drwxr-xr-x 2 vaxman vaxman 4096 2011-07-05 21:54 user_speedo/
                                    drwxr-xr-x 2 vaxman vaxman 4096 2011-07-05 21:54 user_truetype/

                                    ...but I think that I probably only use 100dpi for 99.9% of what I do.

                                    In the 100pdi directory is (heavily wildcarded instead of showing every
                                    conceivable variant):

                                    -rwxr-xr-x 1 vaxman vaxman 16092 2003-10-01 22:03 avantgarde*_100dpi.pcf*
                                    -rwxr-xr-x 1 vaxman vaxman 11704 2003-10-01 22:04 charter*_100dpi.pcf*
                                    -rwxr-xr-x 1 vaxman vaxman 19400 2003-10-01 22:03 courier*_100dpi.pcf*
                                    -rwxr-xr-x 1 vaxman vaxman 2248 2003-10-01 22:03 decw$session_100dpi.pcf*
                                    -rwxr-xr-x 1 vaxman vaxman 16348 2003-10-01 22:03 dutch801_decmath*_100dpi.pcf*
                                    -rwxr-xr-x 1 vaxman vaxman 17640 2003-10-01 22:03 fixed_100dpi.pcf*
                                    -rw-r--r-- 1 vaxman vaxman 38120 2011-07-05 21:55 fonts.dir
                                    -rwxr-xr-x 1 vaxman vaxman 16028 2003-10-01 22:03 helvetica*_100dpi.pcf*
                                    -rwxr-xr-x 1 vaxman vaxman 15000 2003-10-01 22:03 interim_dm*_100dpi.pcf*
                                    -rwxr-xr-x 1 vaxman vaxman 16204 2003-10-01 22:04 lubalingraph*_100dpi.pcf*
                                    -rwxr-xr-x 1 vaxman vaxman 14856 2003-10-01 22:04 lucida*_100dpi.pcf*
                                    -rwxr-xr-x 1 vaxman vaxman 12944 2003-10-01 22:03 menu*_100dpi.pcf*
                                    -rwxr-xr-x 1 vaxman vaxman 16136 2003-10-01 22:03 newcenturyschlbk*_100dpi.pcf*
                                    -rwxr-xr-x 1 vaxman vaxman 4232 2003-10-01 22:04 present_bullets*_100.pcf*
                                    -rwxr-xr-x 1 vaxman vaxman 16980 2003-10-01 22:04 souvenir*_100dpi.pcf*
                                    -rwxr-xr-x 1 vaxman vaxman 13820 2003-10-01 22:03 symbol*_100dpi.pcf*
                                    -rwxr-xr-x 1 vaxman vaxman 18836 2003-10-01 22:03 terminal*_100dpi.pcf*
                                    -rwxr-xr-x 1 vaxman vaxman 16592 2003-10-01 22:03 times*_100dpi.pcf*
                                    -rwxr-xr-x 1 vaxman vaxman 15100 2003-10-01 22:04 utopia*_100dpi.pcf*
                                    -rwxr-xr-x 1 vaxman vaxman 7592 2003-10-01 22:03 variable_100dpi.pcf*

                                    Copy these over, mkfontdir, and append or prepend to the font path with
                                    xset. Having these local is better than having to rely on a font server.

                                    When I really need a well-behaved VT emulation, I simply fire up a DECterm
                                    -- thanks to X11 -- on the Linux or Mac.
                                  • evan@snarc.net
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Jan 12, 2013
                                      Jeff B. and I will be at the museum storage building around noon tomorrow. Help is welcome.
                                    • DuaneCraps
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Jan 12, 2013
                                        Guys,

                                        If you guys ever get the chance take a camera and get me some good pictures of the Univac 1219B’s and the 1532 Input-Output console.

                                        Overall view and close ups of each panel.  If you could extend the drawers I can tell you what you are missing.

                                        I am playing with writing an emulator in Visual Basic. So far its still in the early stages. It does enters and stores and shifts.

                                        When it gets far enough along to not be totally embarrassing I’ll send it out for the group to play with.

                                        Even without main memory you could hand load a short hello world  in upper control memory octal 200 to 277

                                        Bye for now,

                                        Duane

                                        Message 19 of 19 , Jan 12, 2013
                                          >> If you guys ever get the chance take a camera and get me some good pictures of the Univac 1219B’s and the 1532 Input-Output console.

                                          Can do, but not anytime soon ... sorry.