Introduction

  • jaevans@pcisys.net
    Message 1 of 97 , Feb 16, 2012
      Greetings all,

      I was born a poor dust cropper..... Sorry, I guess I don't need to go
      that far back ;)

      Currently I am employed as an electronics tech at the Air Force Academy,
      but I've been involved in computers since 1978, built one of the early
      Northstar Horizons when they came out, have owned a Northstar and a Zorba,
      love to work with microcomputers and microcontrollers at work and as a
      hobby. I did some PDP-11 assembly language programming while working on my
      MS. I was a calibration tech in my early AF career, got my BS in EE then
      my MS in CS, retired as a Captain about 17 years ago, but work in civil
      service.

      My hobbies are many and varied - ham radio, computers, electronics,
      hiking, backpacking, music, woodworking, bookbinding, and lately cars out
      of necessity.

      I live in Colorado Springs with my wife and daughter (who will be off to
      college this fall).

      John - N0HJ

    • Steven Toth
      Message 97 of 97 , Jul 12

        In 84, my father moved to the promised land, aka Silicon Valley, and
        while he did the executive thing with various hardware and software
        companies, I got heavily involved in the BBS scene (QuickBBS, shortly,
        and Remote Access for several years, also very active in FidoNet) and

        FidoNet! :) My first real email experience, I loved it. I remember getting a 'point' address of my fav BBS based in the UK, the Red Rose BBS (Lancashire).

        <snip>

        all my advanced students learn vi (I'm a vi bigot and I do realize this
        makes me a Bad Person). They all learn command line C followed by

        Not at all, I use vi daily. Personal preference. Nothing wrong with emacs either, although I prefer vi.

        <snip>

        So, long story short, I'm thrilled to be here and thanks for putting up
        with me!

        A great story, thanks for sharing.

        Welcome aboard!

        - Steve