Re: [midatlanticretro] Spacewar turns 50

    Message 1 of 19 , Feb 15, 2012
      >> Me too -- the restored one at CHM. Degnan did, too. Probably others
      >> here.
      > I got to play the CHM one for a few minutes when I was there for a VCF.

      Same. We must not have known each other at that point.
    • rarecoinbuyer
      Message 2 of 19 , Feb 15, 2012
        --- In midatlanticretro, Mr. Koblentz wrote:

        > > I am a brand new member and still trying to come up to speed.
        >
        > Please send an intro message. We like to know who's who. Topics such as
        > how you found us, your background in computers, your collecting
        > interest, location, etc.

        I understand. Thanks.

        * My name is JD Rose.

        * I spend my summers in the high country of Arizona and the winters in the D.C. area. Berkeley Springs, WV to be specific. I am currently unemployed but actively looking for a job. My wife is the director and manager of a local stage theater.

        * I adore the 6502 microprocessor and am fully fluent in it's machine language. I like to design and code arcade style video games.

        * Currently becoming familiar with the 1802 microprocessor because of the challenge of it. And because of the romance of it being used in space probes.

        * The vintage computers that I owned personally when I was a kid was the Atari ST, TRS80 Model III and Timex-Sinclair 1000. At school I had access to PDP-11, IMSAI 8080 and Apple ][e.

        * Currently I own an Atari 2600, Harmony Cart, Heathkit ET-3400, 1802 microprocessor chip and an ASUS K60. I enjoy using the EMMA 02 and CCS64 emulators on my K60.

        * I do not collect computers per se but have an interest in all 6502 single boards and am actively trying to find a C64 with an original Commodore monitor. Also looking to get an Atari 7800 with the expansion port. (From a romantic stand point I would like to replace the Atari 1040STf that owned back of the day but it isn't critical demand.)

        * I collect actual printed assembly language manuals when I can afford it. From the IBM 360 to the Intel 4004. Everything.

        * My non-computer hobbies are antique photos and rare coins.
        Message 3 of 19 , Feb 15, 2012
          >> Please send an intro message. We like to know who's who. Topics such as how you found us, your background in computers, your collecting interest, location, etc.
          > I understand. Thanks.
          >
          > * My name is JD Rose.

          You'll fit in. Just keep in mind, when you're in Arizona, that we're
          mostly a mid-Atlantic / northeast group. Let me know if you'd like to
          visit our museum while you're here in the east.

          Our flagship event is Vintage Computer Festival East in May, but the
          opposite event is our winter party -- the "Vintage Computer Festivus,"
          as someone named it.
        • David Gesswein
          Message 4 of 19 , Feb 15, 2012
            On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 12:09:07AM -0000, rarecoinbuyer wrote:
            > LOL!
            >
            > Seriously though, I noticed online that someone created a PDP-8
            > reproduction on a single board. Perhaps someone could bring one of
            > those running Spacewar. Not exactly the same thing, but the legacy and
            > sentiment is there.

            I don't think anybody has created a point plot display for the single board
            PDP-8 though it should be possible.

            I will be bringing my 1966 PDP-8 and AX08 so I should be able to run
            spacewar on it. The PDP-8 I'm bringing only has 4k 12 bit words so it can
            only run the simple version which doesn't have a sun and gravity. It's
            more spacewar like. The 8k version I had at a previous VCF on the 8/I is
            much closer to the PDP-1 version.

            Do have a video of the simple spacewar here if anybody can still view
            realplayer. Probably time to redo some of these old videos. Looks like I
            made those in 2000. http://www.pdp8online.com/vr14/vr14.shtml

            The PDP-8 is now passing all diagnostics except the power on/off test which
            doesn't really have to be fixed for VCF. Have it working with my teletype
            also. Haven't tried any peripherals.

            Unlike those modern machines you don't have to throw out a billion
            good transistor just because one goes bad. Woohoo, got the console port
            overclocked to 9600 baud though it only works with a PC. I suspect putting
            a 157,000 RPM turbine in place of the teletype motor won't work.

            Still a little behind current progress
            http://www.pdp8online.com/straight8/pdp8.shtml
          • ysgdhio
            Message 5 of 19 , Feb 15, 2012
              > We never really publicized a theme for VCF E this year,

              I thought the unofficial theme this year was BASIC.
              Message 6 of 19 , Feb 15, 2012
                >> We never really publicized a theme for VCF E this year,
                > I thought the unofficial theme this year was BASIC.

                I thought it was Apple (the fruit, not the computer company.)
              • William Donzelli
                Message 7 of 19 , Feb 15, 2012

                  > We never really publicized a theme for VCF E this year, but if anyone
                  > has a machine in their exhibit and a version of Spacewar (or
                  > descendent) that goes with it, please try to fit it into your exhibit.

                  In the been-there-done-that department,  there were three instances of the game running on three different machines at the first VCFeast - a PDP-12, an Imlac, and (I think) a PDP-11.

                  --
                  Will

                • J. Chris Hausler
                  Message 8 of 19 , Feb 16, 2012
                    Spacewar type games ran on other early computers as well. We had one with the sun and gravity field, torpedoes and lasers for each ship running on the vector scopes system on the G-20's at CIT (now CMU) in the mid to late 60's. The scopes system had three screens and so each player got his own screen. If you go to the following web site:
                    http://www.silogic.com/Athena/G-21.html
                    and scroll down some, you'll see a photo of me in front of the scopes likely making a phone call to get the scopes system turned on. The G-20 processor itself was in another building.

                    73, Chris Hausler

                    Message 9 of 19 , Feb 18, 2012
                      Someone asked me what I do for a living but I can't seem to find the message now.

                      +++

                      Until I was out of job I was a Marine Mechanic in Arizona for more than 15 years. Working on rental houseboats.

                      Worked on Mercruiser inboards, outboards, Westerbeke generators, Trace voltage converters, solar photovoltaic systems, etc.

                      My wife got a job in Berkeley Springs so we located there. We try to go to D.C. about once a month or so. We are looking forward to visiting the Video Game art exhibit at the museum of American Art.

                      We still have acreage in Arizona so I camp out there during the summer to flee the bugs and humidity of the mid-Atlantic. Prospect for turquoise and take landscape photographs with my Mamiya RZ67.

                      My retrocomputer interest is primarily anything 6502; single boards, computers and video game consoles. Also currently cultivating an interest in anything 1802.

                      --- JDRose