IMPORTANT -- TCF odds and ends....

  • evan947
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 11 10:45 AM
      Hi folks,

      Here's the latest TCF logistics update. Please read, even if you're
      just attending and not actually exhibiting, so you know what's going on.

      I requested 13 tables from the show staff. The tables are 2x6 feet.
      It appears that eight of us are exhibiting.

      - One of the tables will be for club literature and related stuff. I
      plan to make some flyers - a MARCH flyer; a list of other resources
      (classiccmp.org, VCF, etc.); a flyer for my Computer Collector
      Newsletter; etc. - let me know ASAP (off-list, please, to
      evan947@...) )if you have something to add.

      - The four remaing tables will be for whoever needs extra space. We
      may have to share these. My hunch is that the Apple, Commodore, DEC,
      and Tandy exhibits will need the most space. One or two people said
      they can only exhibit on Saturday, so there will be extra space on Sunday.

      - We'll determine the actual layout on Saturday morning. This isn't
      ideal, but it will have to suffice.

      - TCF hasn't told me any details of our room's power situation. If
      you're exhibiting, REMEMBER TO BRING POWER STRIPS. I'm continuing to
      urge the show staff to ensure that our space has lots of power, spread
      out. LOL, my fear is that the room will have one ordinary wall
      outlet. If so, someone bring the marshmallows, 'cause we're having an
      electrical bonfire.

      - My cell phone number, for anyone who needs to reach me Saturday
      morning, is 617.461.7194. If I don't answer, it's probably because
      I'm in transit, or schlepping a heavy box, or somehow out of range. I
      don't know anything about the state of reception inside the exhibits
      area. Alas, leave voicemail, which I will check often.

      - I will bring tablecloths (something that stands out) so our exhibits
      have a quasi-consistent look.

      - Please make all the posters, literature, signs, etc. that you can!
      There was some talk here a few weeks ago about those plastic sign
      holders you can buy at Staples, but honestly, I want to see big,
      colorful, explanatory signs. Pretend you're running for class
      president or something. :) Nothing confuses people more than a bunch
      of equipment with no explanation of what it's all about. LOL, this is
      also a good way to get your children and spouses involved. :)

      - Since the MARCH membership is growing quite significantly (which is
      awesome!), I have to scale back to the VIP parking situation for TCF.
      Only people actually exhibiting with us will get the VIP parking
      passes. I apologize if this creates a problem for anyone. For those
      of you who aren't exhibiting but still show up to help us, I will on
      Saturday to take care of you for Sunday... for now though only the
      exhibitors (I count eight) will be on the list that goes to the show's
      parking staff. Exhibitors will also each get a guest pass for the
      show, which you can give to a friend, spouse, helper, etc.
      (Unfortunately it's too late to have these mailed out, so we'll have
      to pick them up on-site. I'm sorry about that.)

      - Plan ahead for how you'll present your computers. Expect a wide
      range of questions, for the obscure to the expert to the moronic. Try
      to make up some simple demos for your computers. When possible and
      when realistic, make demos that people can actually try. If someone
      is drooling over the memory of programming on your machine 15 years
      ago, then under your close supervision, hand over the keyboard.
      Obviously, be careful of who you trust and what you let them do!! Our
      exhibit is all about being interactive instead of just static.

      - There will be times when we ask each other to look after our
      exhibits, so that we may check out the rest of TCF, eat, use the
      restroom, check voicemail, etc. -- PLEASE look after your club mate's
      exhibit as if it were you own. Don't let anyone actually use someone
      else's exhibit unless the exhibitor grants you permission. (In my
      personal exhibit, there will be lots of handheld stuff, which can very
      easily 'walk away' if not closely guarded.)

      That's all I can think of for now. If you have other questions, just
      ping me...

      - Evan
    • ahm
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 11 11:16 AM
        evan947 wrote:
        > - Please make all the posters, literature, signs, etc. that you can!
        [...]
        > Pretend you're running for class president or something. :)

        Woo, dot-matrix printer banners! ;)
      • David Gesswein
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 11 11:29 AM
          > Woo, dot-matrix printer banners! ;)

          My wide carrage dot-matrix printer isn't working so made a daisywheel
          banner "DEC PDP-8" for the retro look. The rest of the stuff is color
          laser print. Had to make some equipment repairs so haven't finished all
          the signs I wanted yet.
        • David Gesswein
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 11 11:45 AM
            > LOL, my fear is that the room will have one ordinary wall
            > outlet.

            I'm 15-20A with everything running.

            > (Unfortunately it's too late to have these mailed out, so we'll have
            > to pick them up on-site. I'm sorry about that.)

            I didn't see any obvious directions online to VIP parking. I assume that we
            just follow signs to VIP parking and the stuff in the car will convince
            them we should get let in.

            Is the VIP parking where we unload from or is that somewhere else? Figure
            it out when we get there?
          • Kelly Leavitt
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 11 12:17 PM
              What time can we get in? I'll be driving in from about 3 hours away.

              If I add a model 12 (of which I just saved 3) I'll need two tables total.
              I'm trying to get one into respectable shape right now.

              What kind of banners? I'm a pretty linear thinker, and so don't have any
              really creative ideas about these kinds of things. Really, check out my web
              pages (www.catcorner.org). It's all rectangles, black text and linear flow.

              I could always bring some markers, some poster board and my fact sheets and
              make them up on the spot.

              Kelly

[...]

              Yahoo! Groups Links
            • Evan
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 11 1:29 PM
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 11 1:32 PM
                  Hey, that was very strange -- I sent a full reply and only the quoted part appears.  Here's the reply:

                • Bill Sudbrink
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 11 2:04 PM
                    > - The four remaing tables will be for whoever needs extra space. We
                    > may have to share these. My hunch is that the Apple, Commodore, DEC,
                    > and Tandy exhibits will need the most space. One or two people said
                    > they can only exhibit on Saturday, so there will be extra space on Sunday.

                    6 feet will be a little tight for me... 8 would be better. Maybe we
                    can push tables together and split an extra table between two of us?

                    > - Please make all the posters, literature, signs, etc. that you can!
                    > There was some talk here a few weeks ago about those plastic sign
                    > holders you can buy at Staples, but honestly, I want to see big,
                    > colorful, explanatory signs. Pretend you're running for class
                    > president or something. :) Nothing confuses people more than a bunch
                    > of equipment with no explanation of what it's all about. LOL, this is
                    > also a good way to get your children and spouses involved. :)

                    I just haven't had the time. Expect my stuff to look almost exactly
                    like my last year's VCF east display. If someone has the time and
                    inclination, I'll happily accept (and pay for materials) for "system
                    info" signs for my:

                    Ohio Scientific C4P-MF
                    6502 - 2MHz
                    48K memory
                    86K per single sided floppy

                    NorthStar Horizon
                    Z80 - 4MHz
                    56K memory
                    400K per double sided, hard-sectored floppy

                    Processor Technology Sol-20
                    8080A - 2MHz
                    32K memory
                    400K per double sided, hard-sectored floppy

                    > - Plan ahead for how you'll present your computers. Expect a wide
                    > range of questions, for the obscure to the expert to the moronic. Try
                    > to make up some simple demos for your computers. When possible and
                    > when realistic, make demos that people can actually try. If someone
                    > is drooling over the memory of programming on your machine 15 years
                    > ago, then under your close supervision, hand over the keyboard.
                    > Obviously, be careful of who you trust and what you let them do!! Our
                    > exhibit is all about being interactive instead of just static.

                    Space invaders, Asteriods and Zork.
                  • billdeg@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 11 5:19 PM
                      I bought a box of dot matrix paper this weekend if anyone needs me to bring
                      some.
                      bd

                      In a message dated 4/11/2005 2:21:17 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                      ahm@... writes:

                      > evan947 wrote:
                      > > - Please make all the posters, literature, signs, etc. that you can!
                      > [...]
                      > > Pretend you're running for class president or something. :)
                      >
                      > Woo, dot-matrix printer banners! ;)
                    • us21090
                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 15 2:22 PM
                        Evan,

                        I finally was able to change my "maybe" to "confirmed" for Saturday
                        (I'm way too busy!). As I've indicated in the database, I'm bringing
                        a Kim-1, ADM3a (attached to the Kim-1), an early HP-25 programmable
                        calculator. It occured to me folks may like to see a CPU card from a
                        c1985 Sun 3/160 (with 8MBs on a 9U (almost 16" tall) board!). I'll
                        see what else I have, too.

                        I'll be driving up tonight. I'll aim for being at the College
                        7:30-ish. Do you know which building we'll be in?

                        Thanks,
                        Scott Austin
                        us21090@...
                      • evan
                        Message 11 of 11 , Apr 15 3:31 PM
                          TcfIs in the colleges recreation center, Im sure there will be lots of signs...
                          see you there!
                          --- midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com <us21090@...> wrote:

                          > Evan,
                          >
                          > I finally was able to change my "maybe" to "confirmed" for Saturday
                          > (I'm way too busy!). As I've indicated in the database, I'm bringing
                          > a Kim-1, ADM3a (attached to the Kim-1), an early HP-25 programmable
                          > calculator. It occured to me folks may like to see a CPU card from a
                          > c1985 Sun 3/160 (with 8MBs on a 9U (almost 16" tall) board!). I'll
                          > see what else I have, too.
                          >
                          > I'll be driving up tonight. I'll aim for being at the College
                          > 7:30-ish. Do you know which building we'll be in?
                          >
                          > Thanks,
                          > Scott Austin
                          > us21090@...

                          Evan's personal homepage: www.snarc.net

                          - 700 readers and no spam / Publishes every Monday / Write for us!