Re: 82S141 PROMs

  • dfnr2
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 14, 2012
      Hi Mike,

      I think it is common. I think a lot of these parts were ordered pre-programmed at the factory, so a lot of "New" old-stock parts may actually be programmed, and it would be difficult for a distributor to tell without actually testing.

      For what it's worth, I hadn't heard of Unicorn at that time, and by now, I have bought a number of parts from them, and have found their service and their parts to be excellent. I would definitely call them if your part it pre-programmed.

      A while back, I repaired an Asteroids Deluxe board, and I bought several 74S287 and 82S129 proms from one mail order company and Fry's, and found them all to be pre-programmed. At first I thought I was doing something wrong. Here's the thread:

      http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.video.arcade.collecting/browse_thread/thread/f9b9c721a8130baa/8281bfdf48f56808?q=#8281bfdf48f56808

      I finally got a couple of blank PROMS from a vintage arcade parts seller online.

      BTW, here's my repair log for that board:

      http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.video.arcade.collecting/browse_thread/thread/9e7c79a72ed8a8af/673211fb622143f1

      Dave
    • Mike Loewen
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 14, 2012
        On Tue, 14 Feb 2012, Mike wrote:

        > I've encountered burned bi-polar PROMs sold as "new" only once, and the seller refunded my money, so it wasn't a big problem.
        >
        > arcadechips.com has excellent prices for proms, including a good selection of bi-polar varieties.
        >
        > Regards,
        > Mike Willegal

        Thanks, Mike, I found arcadechips.com last night and he supposedly has
        them in stock. I left a message, asking about them, as well as one for
        Unicorn.

        Mike Loewen mloewen@...
      • Mike Loewen
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 16, 2012
          Just to be on the safe side, I ran through the complete voltage and
          performance checks for the Data I/O 29B and UniPak2B. All voltages and
          waveforms were well within spec. I felt like a lab weenie, again. :-)

          Mike Loewen mloewen@...