Re: [midatlanticretro] DECserver 700 upgrades/maintenance/setup

  • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 13, 2012
      Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:

      >On 02/09/2012 02:02 AM, Jeff Jonas wrote: > I have a decserver 700-08 >
      >firmware v7.1-0 > hw 1.7 > 8M ram > > it boots WWENG2 from the 2 MB
      >flashram
      >
      > A DECserver is basically treated as an appliance. Unless you need a
      >specific feature offered by a later release, there's really not much
      >point in upgrading it.

      I spent yesterday afternoon with at InfoAge with Jeff and his DECserver.
      It gave me an excuse to pull my old VAXstation-4000/VLC out of mothballs
      as a MOP boot host. Turns out that his is running the latest build of
      WWENG2, so there was no need to update the firmware.

      >> Are there any upgrades for it? > Who has experience setting it up? >
      >I've never done that before.
      >
      > I've done a lot with DECservers, but it has been years. Feel free to
      >contact me if you get into a bind. Some quick notes, though:
      >
      > The built-in help system is pretty good.

      Yup. Even the pros resort to it for a syntax refresh from time to time.

      > To change a configuration value temporarily, and have the change go
      >away at the next reboot, use "SET <blah blah...>". To change the value
      >in persistent configuration memory, use the same command but replace
      >"SET" with "DEFINE". This sounds a bit weird, but it actually turns out
      >to be extremely nice. That general interface dates back to the very
      >earliest DECservers.

      And newer firmware has introduced the CHANGE command which will both SET
      and DEFINE an operating parameter.