Re: ROM gurus

  • Mike
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 2, 2012
      This seems similar to the 2316B used in the Apple II. There is an adapter from 2716 to 2316B described on this web page.

      http://www.willegal.net/appleii/appleii-integer.htm

      In your case, you will be going in the opposite direction. You would have to get pin outs of 2716 and 9216BDC and rewire a socket to make the pinout of the 9216BCD exactly match that of the 2716. You may need to tweak select line mapping or add an inverter depending upon exact differences/polarities of the select lines.

      Regards,
      Mike Willegal

      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Jonas" <jeff_s_jonas@...> wrote:

      > > > I would like to be able to read an AMD
      > > > AM9216BDC mask-programmed ROM,
      > > > but it isn't listed as a supported device.
      >
      > > While the device isn't supported by the programmer, it's just a 2kx8 ROM with a different pinout. If you connect the data and address lines up, power the chip, and make it active, you can read it.
      >
      > I'm a bit surprised that it isn't listed (pun intended). Perhaps it was on a supplemental list of read-only devices instead of fully supported programmable devices, since it's reasonable to clone R/O parts to reprogrammable devices (whether OTP: one time programmable or erasable).
      >
      > > First, find the pinout of the 9216 ...
      >
      > What he said :-)
      >
      > Don't make my cry. :-(
      > This would be an ideal extension to current microprocessor tools such as "The Bus Pirate" that connects USB to a variety of serial protocols such as JTAG, SPI, I2C, etc. It should be easy to extend that using I2C buffers to assert the address & read signals and buffer back the result. But I'm hopelessly overloaded with wonderful projects already :-(
      >
      > -- jeffj

    • Mike Loewen
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 21, 2012
        On Tue, 31 Jan 2012, Mike Loewen wrote:

        > Ok, ROM gurus...I have a Data I/O 29B with a UniPak2B and a LogicPak:

        > I would like to be able to read an AMD AM9216BDC mask-programmed ROM,
        > but it isn't listed as a supported device. I've read that it might be
        > possible to build an adapter to reroute a couple of pins to allow it to be
        > read like a 2716, but have no clue as the specifics. The 9216 is a 24-pin
        > DIP, with dual-active low chip selects, and uses both +5V and +12V. The
        > board these are installed on can use either 9216s or 2716s, but not a mix
        > of both.>

        Per several of your suggestions, I ended up breadboarding an adapter to
        make the 9216 look like a 2716 to my 29B. Only 3 changes were needed:

        Pin 19 (A10) of the 2716 was redirected to pin 21 of the 9216.
        Pin 21 (Vpp) of the 2716 was left unconnected.
        Pin 21 of the 9216 was connected to a +12V source.

        It works.

        Mike Loewen mloewen@...