Re: [midatlanticretro] Is anyone going to TCF?

  • Neil Cherry
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 31, 2012
      On 01/31/2012 01:26 PM, Dave McGuire wrote:

      > On Jan 31, 2012, at 12:47 PM, "J. Alexander Jacocks" <jjacocks@...
      > <mailto:jjacocks@...>> wrote:
      >> > It's also just a one day show this year.
      >>
      >> Interestingly enough, the Timonium Hamfest is also 1 day, this year, with the flea
      >> market indoors. Site link: <http://www.thehamfest.com/>http://www.thehamfest.com/ .
      >> Talking to folks, the cause seems to be the continual shrinking of any swapmeet-type
      >> event, brought on by eBay/other auction sites.
      >
      > Wow, Timonium too? Damn. I used to go to that 'fest every year, both days, it was
      > awesome. And HUGE. Between this and TCF, I could just about cry. :-(

      What we need to do with TCf is to turn it into a Maker/Hackerspace
      conference, get together, hands on demo. I think that might help.
      The 'Junk Yard' (my fond name for it) is long gone, now it's just an
      extension of a garage sale. I'm going to attend the classes as I see
      a few that I'm interested in.

      http://www.linuxha.com/ Main site
      http://linuxha.blogspot.com/ My HA Blog
    • Neil Cherry
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 31, 2012
        On 01/31/2012 03:27 PM, Dave McGuire wrote:

        > On 01/31/2012 01:42 PM, Neil Cherry wrote:
        >> What we need to do with TCf is to turn it into a Maker/Hackerspace
        >> conference, get together, hands on demo. I think that might help.
        >> The 'Junk Yard' (my fond name for it) is long gone, now it's just an
        >> extension of a garage sale. I'm going to attend the classes as I see
        >> a few that I'm interested in.
        >
        > I dunno. I attended the Pittsburgh Mini Maker Faire a few months
        > ago. It was the first and only such event that I've attended. My
        > problem with it was that 90% of the stuff there seemed to be targeted at
        > children. I don't mean "young people" or "twenty-somethings", I mean
        > KIDS...just plain TOYS. It would've been great when I was, say, eight
        > years old, but now, not so much. My lady and I had a good time, and
        > there was a lot of creativity there, but it did leave a lot to be
        > desired, and we had little interest in spending more than a couple of
        > hours there.
        >
        > I really hope other events of that sort are different, especially if
        > TCF moves in that direction.

        I'm hoping it doesn't go that way. While my electronics is my toys
        I'm hoping to work with creative folks and not toy makers.

        http://www.linuxha.com/ Main site
        http://linuxha.blogspot.com/ My HA Blog
      • billdeg
        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 31, 2012

          > What we need to do with TCf is to turn it into a Maker/Hackerspace
          > conference, get together, hands on demo. I think that might help.
          > The 'Junk Yard' (my fond name for it) is long gone, now it's just an
          > extension of a garage sale. I'm going to attend the classes as I see
          > a few that I'm interested in.

          That's not a bad idea. We have in the past hacked vintage computers as our "exhibit" at TCF, but our club is only tangental to the maker/hackerspace scene (in that there are a lot of us who hack new as well as old stuff).

          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 31, 2012
            >> While my electronics is my toys
            I'm hoping to work with creative folks and not toy makers.

            World Maker Faire, every fall in NYC, includes VERY serious makers/hackers from all over. As you know, IXR hopes to become a serious hackerspace, and MARCH supports their mission.

            However this thread is getting off-topic on our list.

            MARCH supports TCF and its primary sponsor, the Amateur Computer Group of New Jersey. ACGNJ has a rich history and its officers have supported MARCH and VCF East too.

            As I understand it, TCF management is trying hard to keep their event relevant. TCF funds some scholarships at the College of New Jersey.

            MARCH will have a demo table at TCF this year, as we do every year. It's the neighborly thing to do and it's good advertising for VCF East.
          • Evan
            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 31, 2012
              I was planning on going. Went to the first one, and a bunch since.
              I guess the good old days are gone. I still have two big cardboard boxes full of IC chips a bought there late afternoon on the last day once. Probably will donate it to IXR.

              > >> While my electronics is my toys
              > I'm hoping to work with creative folks and not toy makers.
              >
              > World Maker Faire, every fall in NYC, includes VERY serious makers/hackers from all over. As you know, IXR hopes to become a serious hackerspace, and MARCH supports their mission.
              >
              > However this thread is getting off-topic on our list.
              >
              > MARCH supports TCF and its primary sponsor, the Amateur Computer Group of New Jersey. ACGNJ has a rich history and its officers have supported MARCH and VCF East too.
              >
              > As I understand it, TCF management is trying hard to keep their event relevant. TCF funds some scholarships at the College of New Jersey.
              >
              > MARCH will have a demo table at TCF this year, as we do every year. It's the neighborly thing to do and it's good advertising for VCF East.

            • Jeff Jonas
              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 1, 2012
                --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Evan" <drwass3@...> wrote:
                > I was planning on going. Went to the first one, and a bunch since.
                > I guess the good old days are gone. I still have two big cardboard boxes full of IC chips a bought there late afternoon on the last day once. Probably will donate it to IXR.

                Just let me know when that happens so I can say hi too! I divide my time at Infoage between IXR and MARCH.

                -- Jeff Jonas