Re: [midatlanticretro] Is anyone going to TCF?

  • Neil Cherry
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 31, 2012
      On 01/31/2012 01:26 PM, Dave McGuire wrote:

      > On Jan 31, 2012, at 12:47 PM, "J. Alexander Jacocks" <jjacocks@...
      > <mailto:jjacocks@...>> wrote:
      >> > It's also just a one day show this year.
      >>
      >> Interestingly enough, the Timonium Hamfest is also 1 day, this year, with the flea
      >> market indoors. Site link: <http://www.thehamfest.com/>http://www.thehamfest.com/ .
      >> Talking to folks, the cause seems to be the continual shrinking of any swapmeet-type
      >> event, brought on by eBay/other auction sites.
      >
      > Wow, Timonium too? Damn. I used to go to that 'fest every year, both days, it was
      > awesome. And HUGE. Between this and TCF, I could just about cry. :-(

      What we need to do with TCf is to turn it into a Maker/Hackerspace
      conference, get together, hands on demo. I think that might help.
      The 'Junk Yard' (my fond name for it) is long gone, now it's just an
      extension of a garage sale. I'm going to attend the classes as I see
      a few that I'm interested in.

      http://www.linuxha.com/ Main site
      http://linuxha.blogspot.com/ My HA Blog
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 31, 2012
        On 01/31/2012 01:42 PM, Neil Cherry wrote:
        > What we need to do with TCf is to turn it into a Maker/Hackerspace
        > conference, get together, hands on demo. I think that might help.
        > The 'Junk Yard' (my fond name for it) is long gone, now it's just an
        > extension of a garage sale. I'm going to attend the classes as I see
        > a few that I'm interested in.

        I dunno. I attended the Pittsburgh Mini Maker Faire a few months
        ago. It was the first and only such event that I've attended. My
        problem with it was that 90% of the stuff there seemed to be targeted at
        children. I don't mean "young people" or "twenty-somethings", I mean
        KIDS...just plain TOYS. It would've been great when I was, say, eight
        years old, but now, not so much. My lady and I had a good time, and
        there was a lot of creativity there, but it did leave a lot to be
        desired, and we had little interest in spending more than a couple of
        hours there.

        I really hope other events of that sort are different, especially if
        TCF moves in that direction.

        Dave McGuire
        New Kensington, PA
      • Neil Cherry
        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 31, 2012
          On 01/31/2012 03:27 PM, Dave McGuire wrote:

          > On 01/31/2012 01:42 PM, Neil Cherry wrote:
          >> What we need to do with TCf is to turn it into a Maker/Hackerspace
          >> conference, get together, hands on demo. I think that might help.
          >> The 'Junk Yard' (my fond name for it) is long gone, now it's just an
          >> extension of a garage sale. I'm going to attend the classes as I see
          >> a few that I'm interested in.
          >
          > I dunno. I attended the Pittsburgh Mini Maker Faire a few months
          > ago. It was the first and only such event that I've attended. My
          > problem with it was that 90% of the stuff there seemed to be targeted at
          > children. I don't mean "young people" or "twenty-somethings", I mean
          > KIDS...just plain TOYS. It would've been great when I was, say, eight
          > years old, but now, not so much. My lady and I had a good time, and
          > there was a lot of creativity there, but it did leave a lot to be
          > desired, and we had little interest in spending more than a couple of
          > hours there.
          >
          > I really hope other events of that sort are different, especially if
          > TCF moves in that direction.

          I'm hoping it doesn't go that way. While my electronics is my toys
          I'm hoping to work with creative folks and not toy makers.

          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 31, 2012
            On 01/31/2012 04:00 PM, Neil Cherry wrote:
            >> I dunno. I attended the Pittsburgh Mini Maker Faire a few months
            >> ago. It was the first and only such event that I've attended. My
            >> problem with it was that 90% of the stuff there seemed to be targeted at
            >> children. I don't mean "young people" or "twenty-somethings", I mean
            >> KIDS...just plain TOYS. It would've been great when I was, say, eight
            >> years old, but now, not so much. My lady and I had a good time, and
            >> there was a lot of creativity there, but it did leave a lot to be
            >> desired, and we had little interest in spending more than a couple of
            >> hours there.
            >>
            >> I really hope other events of that sort are different, especially if
            >> TCF moves in that direction.
            >
            > I'm hoping it doesn't go that way. While my electronics is my toys
            > I'm hoping to work with creative folks and not toy makers.

            Same here. The occasional toy can be a fun diversion sometimes, but
            a whole event of that, targeted at adults, showing the nontechnical
            public that this is all technical hobbies are about, is a really bad
            idea on several levels.

            Dave McGuire
            New Kensington, PA
          • billdeg
            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 31, 2012

              > What we need to do with TCf is to turn it into a Maker/Hackerspace
              > conference, get together, hands on demo. I think that might help.
              > The 'Junk Yard' (my fond name for it) is long gone, now it's just an
              > extension of a garage sale. I'm going to attend the classes as I see
              > a few that I'm interested in.

              That's not a bad idea. We have in the past hacked vintage computers as our "exhibit" at TCF, but our club is only tangental to the maker/hackerspace scene (in that there are a lot of us who hack new as well as old stuff).

              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 31, 2012
                >> While my electronics is my toys
                I'm hoping to work with creative folks and not toy makers.

                World Maker Faire, every fall in NYC, includes VERY serious makers/hackers from all over. As you know, IXR hopes to become a serious hackerspace, and MARCH supports their mission.

                However this thread is getting off-topic on our list.

                MARCH supports TCF and its primary sponsor, the Amateur Computer Group of New Jersey. ACGNJ has a rich history and its officers have supported MARCH and VCF East too.

                As I understand it, TCF management is trying hard to keep their event relevant. TCF funds some scholarships at the College of New Jersey.

                MARCH will have a demo table at TCF this year, as we do every year. It's the neighborly thing to do and it's good advertising for VCF East.
              • Evan
                Message 7 of 17 , Jan 31, 2012
                  I was planning on going. Went to the first one, and a bunch since.
                  I guess the good old days are gone. I still have two big cardboard boxes full of IC chips a bought there late afternoon on the last day once. Probably will donate it to IXR.

                  > >> While my electronics is my toys
                  > I'm hoping to work with creative folks and not toy makers.
                  >
                  > World Maker Faire, every fall in NYC, includes VERY serious makers/hackers from all over. As you know, IXR hopes to become a serious hackerspace, and MARCH supports their mission.
                  >
                  > However this thread is getting off-topic on our list.
                  >
                  > MARCH supports TCF and its primary sponsor, the Amateur Computer Group of New Jersey. ACGNJ has a rich history and its officers have supported MARCH and VCF East too.
                  >
                  > As I understand it, TCF management is trying hard to keep their event relevant. TCF funds some scholarships at the College of New Jersey.
                  >
                  > MARCH will have a demo table at TCF this year, as we do every year. It's the neighborly thing to do and it's good advertising for VCF East.

                • Jeff Jonas
                  Message 8 of 17 , Feb 1, 2012
                    --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Evan" <drwass3@...> wrote:
                    > I was planning on going. Went to the first one, and a bunch since.
                    > I guess the good old days are gone. I still have two big cardboard boxes full of IC chips a bought there late afternoon on the last day once. Probably will donate it to IXR.

                    Just let me know when that happens so I can say hi too! I divide my time at Infoage between IXR and MARCH.

                    -- Jeff Jonas