Re: [midatlanticretro] Is anyone going to TCF?

  • Neil Cherry
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 31, 2012
      On 01/31/2012 01:26 PM, Dave McGuire wrote:

      > On Jan 31, 2012, at 12:47 PM, "J. Alexander Jacocks" <jjacocks@...
      > <mailto:jjacocks@...>> wrote:
      >> > It's also just a one day show this year.
      >>
      >> Interestingly enough, the Timonium Hamfest is also 1 day, this year, with the flea
      >> market indoors. Site link: <http://www.thehamfest.com/>http://www.thehamfest.com/ .
      >> Talking to folks, the cause seems to be the continual shrinking of any swapmeet-type
      >> event, brought on by eBay/other auction sites.
      >
      > Wow, Timonium too? Damn. I used to go to that 'fest every year, both days, it was
      > awesome. And HUGE. Between this and TCF, I could just about cry. :-(

      What we need to do with TCf is to turn it into a Maker/Hackerspace
      conference, get together, hands on demo. I think that might help.
      The 'Junk Yard' (my fond name for it) is long gone, now it's just an
      extension of a garage sale. I'm going to attend the classes as I see
      a few that I'm interested in.

      http://www.linuxha.com/ Main site
      http://linuxha.blogspot.com/ My HA Blog
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 31, 2012
        On 01/31/2012 01:43 PM, J. Alexander Jacocks wrote:
        > Yeah, me too. I love the getting together and talking about the stuff
        > part as much as the buying and selling part, so eBay is just not nearly
        > the same. Of course, even though I'm fairly young (35), I've been going
        > to Hamfests since I was 13 years old, so you can (and people have) call
        > me an old fogy.

        You'll be farting dust any year now. ;) (42 here)

        > From what I hear, only Dayton still remains as a very large, multi-day,
        > Hamfest. Does anyone know of other Hamfests that are still well
        > attended? I'd especially love to hear of ones that are on the east coast.

        20+ years ago I went to a very good one every year, the DVRA
        (Delaware Valley Radio Association) hamfest. I don't know if it's still
        being held.

        > My friend Jonathan and I will be at Timonium, this year, as we are,
        > every year. We'll have a couple vendor tables, and be selling *nix and
        > vintage gear. Hope some folks make it, as it's still a good show, even
        > given the size reduction.

        I'm going to try to make it to Timonium. I used to live pretty
        closer to there, in Laurel MD. Living in FL made it damn near
        impossible, but now I'm just a few hours away so it's no big deal.

        Years ago I had a Unimog 404S (google if unfamiliar) and I took it to
        the Timonium fest one year for my selling spot. Man it drew a crowd; we
        had a ball.

        Dave McGuire
        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 31, 2012
          On 01/31/2012 01:42 PM, Neil Cherry wrote:
          > What we need to do with TCf is to turn it into a Maker/Hackerspace
          > conference, get together, hands on demo. I think that might help.
          > The 'Junk Yard' (my fond name for it) is long gone, now it's just an
          > extension of a garage sale. I'm going to attend the classes as I see
          > a few that I'm interested in.

          I dunno. I attended the Pittsburgh Mini Maker Faire a few months
          ago. It was the first and only such event that I've attended. My
          problem with it was that 90% of the stuff there seemed to be targeted at
          children. I don't mean "young people" or "twenty-somethings", I mean
          KIDS...just plain TOYS. It would've been great when I was, say, eight
          years old, but now, not so much. My lady and I had a good time, and
          there was a lot of creativity there, but it did leave a lot to be
          desired, and we had little interest in spending more than a couple of
          hours there.

          I really hope other events of that sort are different, especially if
          TCF moves in that direction.

          Dave McGuire
          New Kensington, PA
        • Neil Cherry
          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 31, 2012
            On 01/31/2012 03:27 PM, Dave McGuire wrote:

            > On 01/31/2012 01:42 PM, Neil Cherry wrote:
            >> What we need to do with TCf is to turn it into a Maker/Hackerspace
            >> conference, get together, hands on demo. I think that might help.
            >> The 'Junk Yard' (my fond name for it) is long gone, now it's just an
            >> extension of a garage sale. I'm going to attend the classes as I see
            >> a few that I'm interested in.
            >
            > I dunno. I attended the Pittsburgh Mini Maker Faire a few months
            > ago. It was the first and only such event that I've attended. My
            > problem with it was that 90% of the stuff there seemed to be targeted at
            > children. I don't mean "young people" or "twenty-somethings", I mean
            > KIDS...just plain TOYS. It would've been great when I was, say, eight
            > years old, but now, not so much. My lady and I had a good time, and
            > there was a lot of creativity there, but it did leave a lot to be
            > desired, and we had little interest in spending more than a couple of
            > hours there.
            >
            > I really hope other events of that sort are different, especially if
            > TCF moves in that direction.

            I'm hoping it doesn't go that way. While my electronics is my toys
            I'm hoping to work with creative folks and not toy makers.

            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 31, 2012
              On 01/31/2012 04:00 PM, Neil Cherry wrote:
              >> I dunno. I attended the Pittsburgh Mini Maker Faire a few months
              >> ago. It was the first and only such event that I've attended. My
              >> problem with it was that 90% of the stuff there seemed to be targeted at
              >> children. I don't mean "young people" or "twenty-somethings", I mean
              >> KIDS...just plain TOYS. It would've been great when I was, say, eight
              >> years old, but now, not so much. My lady and I had a good time, and
              >> there was a lot of creativity there, but it did leave a lot to be
              >> desired, and we had little interest in spending more than a couple of
              >> hours there.
              >>
              >> I really hope other events of that sort are different, especially if
              >> TCF moves in that direction.
              >
              > I'm hoping it doesn't go that way. While my electronics is my toys
              > I'm hoping to work with creative folks and not toy makers.

              Same here. The occasional toy can be a fun diversion sometimes, but
              a whole event of that, targeted at adults, showing the nontechnical
              public that this is all technical hobbies are about, is a really bad
              idea on several levels.

              Dave McGuire
              New Kensington, PA
            • billdeg
              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 31, 2012

                > What we need to do with TCf is to turn it into a Maker/Hackerspace
                > conference, get together, hands on demo. I think that might help.
                > The 'Junk Yard' (my fond name for it) is long gone, now it's just an
                > extension of a garage sale. I'm going to attend the classes as I see
                > a few that I'm interested in.

                That's not a bad idea. We have in the past hacked vintage computers as our "exhibit" at TCF, but our club is only tangental to the maker/hackerspace scene (in that there are a lot of us who hack new as well as old stuff).

                Message 7 of 17 , Jan 31, 2012
                  >> While my electronics is my toys
                  I'm hoping to work with creative folks and not toy makers.

                  World Maker Faire, every fall in NYC, includes VERY serious makers/hackers from all over. As you know, IXR hopes to become a serious hackerspace, and MARCH supports their mission.

                  However this thread is getting off-topic on our list.

                  MARCH supports TCF and its primary sponsor, the Amateur Computer Group of New Jersey. ACGNJ has a rich history and its officers have supported MARCH and VCF East too.

                  As I understand it, TCF management is trying hard to keep their event relevant. TCF funds some scholarships at the College of New Jersey.

                  MARCH will have a demo table at TCF this year, as we do every year. It's the neighborly thing to do and it's good advertising for VCF East.
                • Evan
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jan 31, 2012
                    I was planning on going. Went to the first one, and a bunch since.
                    I guess the good old days are gone. I still have two big cardboard boxes full of IC chips a bought there late afternoon on the last day once. Probably will donate it to IXR.

                    > >> While my electronics is my toys
                    > I'm hoping to work with creative folks and not toy makers.
                    >
                    > World Maker Faire, every fall in NYC, includes VERY serious makers/hackers from all over. As you know, IXR hopes to become a serious hackerspace, and MARCH supports their mission.
                    >
                    > However this thread is getting off-topic on our list.
                    >
                    > MARCH supports TCF and its primary sponsor, the Amateur Computer Group of New Jersey. ACGNJ has a rich history and its officers have supported MARCH and VCF East too.
                    >
                    > As I understand it, TCF management is trying hard to keep their event relevant. TCF funds some scholarships at the College of New Jersey.
                    >
                    > MARCH will have a demo table at TCF this year, as we do every year. It's the neighborly thing to do and it's good advertising for VCF East.

                  • Jeff Jonas
                    Message 9 of 17 , Feb 1, 2012
                      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Evan" <drwass3@...> wrote:
                      > I was planning on going. Went to the first one, and a bunch since.
                      > I guess the good old days are gone. I still have two big cardboard boxes full of IC chips a bought there late afternoon on the last day once. Probably will donate it to IXR.

                      Just let me know when that happens so I can say hi too! I divide my time at Infoage between IXR and MARCH.

                      -- Jeff Jonas