Re: [midatlanticretro] Is anyone going to TCF?

  • Neil Cherry
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 31, 2012
      On 01/31/2012 01:26 PM, Dave McGuire wrote:

      > On Jan 31, 2012, at 12:47 PM, "J. Alexander Jacocks" <jjacocks@...
      > <mailto:jjacocks@...>> wrote:
      >> > It's also just a one day show this year.
      >>
      >> Interestingly enough, the Timonium Hamfest is also 1 day, this year, with the flea
      >> market indoors. Site link: <http://www.thehamfest.com/>http://www.thehamfest.com/ .
      >> Talking to folks, the cause seems to be the continual shrinking of any swapmeet-type
      >> event, brought on by eBay/other auction sites.
      >
      > Wow, Timonium too? Damn. I used to go to that 'fest every year, both days, it was
      > awesome. And HUGE. Between this and TCF, I could just about cry. :-(

      What we need to do with TCf is to turn it into a Maker/Hackerspace
      conference, get together, hands on demo. I think that might help.
      The 'Junk Yard' (my fond name for it) is long gone, now it's just an
      extension of a garage sale. I'm going to attend the classes as I see
      a few that I'm interested in.

      http://www.linuxha.com/ Main site
      http://linuxha.blogspot.com/ My HA Blog
    • Kelly D. Leavitt
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 31, 2012
        > From what I hear, only Dayton still remains as a very large, multi-day, Hamfest. Does anyone know of
        > other Hamfests that are still well attended? I'd especially love to hear of ones that are on the east coast.

        The Sussex County ARC hamfest is still fairly large, and you can stop by and have a burger cooked by me. We have around 200 vendors and over 1,000 hams show up.

        It is only one day. Location is the Sussex County Fairgrounds, 37 Plains Rd (off Rt. 206), Augusta, NJ

        73 de Kelly
        KB2SYD
        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 31, 2012
          On 01/31/2012 01:43 PM, J. Alexander Jacocks wrote:
          > Yeah, me too. I love the getting together and talking about the stuff
          > part as much as the buying and selling part, so eBay is just not nearly
          > the same. Of course, even though I'm fairly young (35), I've been going
          > to Hamfests since I was 13 years old, so you can (and people have) call
          > me an old fogy.

          You'll be farting dust any year now. ;) (42 here)

          > From what I hear, only Dayton still remains as a very large, multi-day,
          > Hamfest. Does anyone know of other Hamfests that are still well
          > attended? I'd especially love to hear of ones that are on the east coast.

          20+ years ago I went to a very good one every year, the DVRA
          (Delaware Valley Radio Association) hamfest. I don't know if it's still
          being held.

          > My friend Jonathan and I will be at Timonium, this year, as we are,
          > every year. We'll have a couple vendor tables, and be selling *nix and
          > vintage gear. Hope some folks make it, as it's still a good show, even
          > given the size reduction.

          I'm going to try to make it to Timonium. I used to live pretty
          closer to there, in Laurel MD. Living in FL made it damn near
          impossible, but now I'm just a few hours away so it's no big deal.

          Years ago I had a Unimog 404S (google if unfamiliar) and I took it to
          the Timonium fest one year for my selling spot. Man it drew a crowd; we
          had a ball.

          Dave McGuire
          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 31, 2012
            On 01/31/2012 01:42 PM, Neil Cherry wrote:
            > What we need to do with TCf is to turn it into a Maker/Hackerspace
            > conference, get together, hands on demo. I think that might help.
            > The 'Junk Yard' (my fond name for it) is long gone, now it's just an
            > extension of a garage sale. I'm going to attend the classes as I see
            > a few that I'm interested in.

            I dunno. I attended the Pittsburgh Mini Maker Faire a few months
            ago. It was the first and only such event that I've attended. My
            problem with it was that 90% of the stuff there seemed to be targeted at
            children. I don't mean "young people" or "twenty-somethings", I mean
            KIDS...just plain TOYS. It would've been great when I was, say, eight
            years old, but now, not so much. My lady and I had a good time, and
            there was a lot of creativity there, but it did leave a lot to be
            desired, and we had little interest in spending more than a couple of
            hours there.

            I really hope other events of that sort are different, especially if
            TCF moves in that direction.

            Dave McGuire
            New Kensington, PA
          • Neil Cherry
            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 31, 2012
              On 01/31/2012 03:27 PM, Dave McGuire wrote:

              > On 01/31/2012 01:42 PM, Neil Cherry wrote:
              >> What we need to do with TCf is to turn it into a Maker/Hackerspace
              >> conference, get together, hands on demo. I think that might help.
              >> The 'Junk Yard' (my fond name for it) is long gone, now it's just an
              >> extension of a garage sale. I'm going to attend the classes as I see
              >> a few that I'm interested in.
              >
              > I dunno. I attended the Pittsburgh Mini Maker Faire a few months
              > ago. It was the first and only such event that I've attended. My
              > problem with it was that 90% of the stuff there seemed to be targeted at
              > children. I don't mean "young people" or "twenty-somethings", I mean
              > KIDS...just plain TOYS. It would've been great when I was, say, eight
              > years old, but now, not so much. My lady and I had a good time, and
              > there was a lot of creativity there, but it did leave a lot to be
              > desired, and we had little interest in spending more than a couple of
              > hours there.
              >
              > I really hope other events of that sort are different, especially if
              > TCF moves in that direction.

              I'm hoping it doesn't go that way. While my electronics is my toys
              I'm hoping to work with creative folks and not toy makers.

              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 31, 2012
                On 01/31/2012 04:00 PM, Neil Cherry wrote:
                >> I dunno. I attended the Pittsburgh Mini Maker Faire a few months
                >> ago. It was the first and only such event that I've attended. My
                >> problem with it was that 90% of the stuff there seemed to be targeted at
                >> children. I don't mean "young people" or "twenty-somethings", I mean
                >> KIDS...just plain TOYS. It would've been great when I was, say, eight
                >> years old, but now, not so much. My lady and I had a good time, and
                >> there was a lot of creativity there, but it did leave a lot to be
                >> desired, and we had little interest in spending more than a couple of
                >> hours there.
                >>
                >> I really hope other events of that sort are different, especially if
                >> TCF moves in that direction.
                >
                > I'm hoping it doesn't go that way. While my electronics is my toys
                > I'm hoping to work with creative folks and not toy makers.

                Same here. The occasional toy can be a fun diversion sometimes, but
                a whole event of that, targeted at adults, showing the nontechnical
                public that this is all technical hobbies are about, is a really bad
                idea on several levels.

                Dave McGuire
                New Kensington, PA
              • billdeg
                Message 7 of 17 , Jan 31, 2012

                  > What we need to do with TCf is to turn it into a Maker/Hackerspace
                  > conference, get together, hands on demo. I think that might help.
                  > The 'Junk Yard' (my fond name for it) is long gone, now it's just an
                  > extension of a garage sale. I'm going to attend the classes as I see
                  > a few that I'm interested in.

                  That's not a bad idea. We have in the past hacked vintage computers as our "exhibit" at TCF, but our club is only tangental to the maker/hackerspace scene (in that there are a lot of us who hack new as well as old stuff).

                  Message 8 of 17 , Jan 31, 2012
                    >> While my electronics is my toys
                    I'm hoping to work with creative folks and not toy makers.

                    World Maker Faire, every fall in NYC, includes VERY serious makers/hackers from all over. As you know, IXR hopes to become a serious hackerspace, and MARCH supports their mission.

                    However this thread is getting off-topic on our list.

                    MARCH supports TCF and its primary sponsor, the Amateur Computer Group of New Jersey. ACGNJ has a rich history and its officers have supported MARCH and VCF East too.

                    As I understand it, TCF management is trying hard to keep their event relevant. TCF funds some scholarships at the College of New Jersey.

                    MARCH will have a demo table at TCF this year, as we do every year. It's the neighborly thing to do and it's good advertising for VCF East.
                  • Evan
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jan 31, 2012
                      I was planning on going. Went to the first one, and a bunch since.
                      I guess the good old days are gone. I still have two big cardboard boxes full of IC chips a bought there late afternoon on the last day once. Probably will donate it to IXR.

                      > >> While my electronics is my toys
                      > I'm hoping to work with creative folks and not toy makers.
                      >
                      > World Maker Faire, every fall in NYC, includes VERY serious makers/hackers from all over. As you know, IXR hopes to become a serious hackerspace, and MARCH supports their mission.
                      >
                      > However this thread is getting off-topic on our list.
                      >
                      > MARCH supports TCF and its primary sponsor, the Amateur Computer Group of New Jersey. ACGNJ has a rich history and its officers have supported MARCH and VCF East too.
                      >
                      > As I understand it, TCF management is trying hard to keep their event relevant. TCF funds some scholarships at the College of New Jersey.
                      >
                      > MARCH will have a demo table at TCF this year, as we do every year. It's the neighborly thing to do and it's good advertising for VCF East.

                    • Jeff Jonas
                      Message 10 of 17 , Feb 1, 2012
                        --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Evan" <drwass3@...> wrote:
                        > I was planning on going. Went to the first one, and a bunch since.
                        > I guess the good old days are gone. I still have two big cardboard boxes full of IC chips a bought there late afternoon on the last day once. Probably will donate it to IXR.

                        Just let me know when that happens so I can say hi too! I divide my time at Infoage between IXR and MARCH.

                        -- Jeff Jonas