Is anyone going to TCF?

  • Christian Liendo
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 31, 2012
      So... I looked at TCF and well it's very different this year

      First of all the Flea Market is inside

      Second and this is a big change, the flea market space is a donation and they recommend $20.00

      I didn't go to TCF last year but I suspect given this change the flea market must have been barren.

      I am thinking about going... Who else is?
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 31, 2012
        At 11:04 AM 1/31/2012, you wrote:
        >So... I looked at TCF and well it's very different this year
        >
        >First of all the Flea Market is inside
        >

        >Second and this is a big change, the flea market space is a donation
        >and they recommend $20.00
        >
        >I didn't go to TCF last year but I suspect given this change the
        >flea market must have been barren.
        >
        >I am thinking about going... Who else is?

        Justin J and I are going to split a flea market table. The flea
        market is going to be on a lower level as I understand it. This
        makes it easier for those of us who like both the modern and used
        stuff. I would also wish that they had the MARCH table along with
        the PC/Flea Market part as well. It's a pain to have to march around campus.

        Andy can probably tell us the inside story.

        It's also just a one day show this year.

        Bill
      • J. Alexander Jacocks
        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 31, 2012
          On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 12:35 PM, B Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:

          At 11:04 AM 1/31/2012, you wrote:
          >So... I looked at TCF and well it's very different this year
          >
          >First of all the Flea Market is inside
          >

          >Second and this is a big change, the flea market space is a donation
          >and they recommend $20.00
          >
          >I didn't go to TCF last year but I suspect given this change the
          >flea market must have been barren.
          >
          >I am thinking about going... Who else is?

          Justin J and I are going to split a flea market table. The flea
          market is going to be on a lower level as I understand it. This
          makes it easier for those of us who like both the modern and used
          stuff. I would also wish that they had the MARCH table along with
          the PC/Flea Market part as well. It's a pain to have to march around campus.

          Andy can probably tell us the inside story.

          It's also just a one day show this year.

          Interestingly enough, the Timonium Hamfest is also 1 day, this year, with the flea market indoors.  Site link: http://www.thehamfest.com/ .  Talking to folks, the cause seems to be the continual shrinking of any swapmeet-type event, brought on by eBay/other auction sites.

          - Alex
        • Mike Loewen
          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 31, 2012
            On Tue, 31 Jan 2012, J. Alexander Jacocks wrote:

            > Interestingly enough, the Timonium Hamfest is also 1 day, this year, with
            > the flea market indoors. Site link: http://www.thehamfest.com/ . Talking
            > to folks, the cause seems to be the continual shrinking of any
            > swapmeet-type event, brought on by eBay/other auction sites.

            That link isn't working - try this one:

            http://www.gbhc.org/

            Mike Loewen mloewen@...
          • Bob Applegate
            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 31, 2012
              > I didn't go to TCF last year but I suspect given this change the flea
              > market must have been barren.

              I found some good stuff, just like every year. Part of the problem is
              that it's still very early spring, so the weather can be anywhere from
              cold/rainy to warm/sunny. One year I was walking around in shorts
              enjoying the sun, but the next year was in a raincoat, completely soaked.

              > I am thinking about going... Who else is?

              I've been to almost all since '78 and will be there again this year.
              Those years it was in north Jersey don't count ;-)

              Bob
              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 31, 2012
                On Jan 31, 2012, at 12:47 PM, "J. Alexander Jacocks" <jjacocks@...> wrote:
                It's also just a one day show this year.

                Interestingly enough, the Timonium Hamfest is also 1 day, this year, with the flea market indoors.  Site link: http://www.thehamfest.com/ .  Talking to folks, the cause seems to be the continual shrinking of any swapmeet-type event, brought on by eBay/other auction sites.

                  Wow, Timonium too?  Damn.  I used to go to that 'fest every year, both days, it was awesome.  And HUGE.  Between this and TCF, I could just about cry. :-(

                Dave McGuire
                New Kensington, PA

              • Neil Cherry
                Message 7 of 17 , Jan 31, 2012
                  On 01/31/2012 01:26 PM, Dave McGuire wrote:

                  > On Jan 31, 2012, at 12:47 PM, "J. Alexander Jacocks" <jjacocks@...
                  > <mailto:jjacocks@...>> wrote:
                  >> > It's also just a one day show this year.
                  >>
                  >> Interestingly enough, the Timonium Hamfest is also 1 day, this year, with the flea
                  >> market indoors. Site link: <http://www.thehamfest.com/>http://www.thehamfest.com/ .
                  >> Talking to folks, the cause seems to be the continual shrinking of any swapmeet-type
                  >> event, brought on by eBay/other auction sites.
                  >
                  > Wow, Timonium too? Damn. I used to go to that 'fest every year, both days, it was
                  > awesome. And HUGE. Between this and TCF, I could just about cry. :-(

                  What we need to do with TCf is to turn it into a Maker/Hackerspace
                  conference, get together, hands on demo. I think that might help.
                  The 'Junk Yard' (my fond name for it) is long gone, now it's just an
                  extension of a garage sale. I'm going to attend the classes as I see
                  a few that I'm interested in.

                  http://www.linuxha.com/ Main site
                  http://linuxha.blogspot.com/ My HA Blog
                • J. Alexander Jacocks
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jan 31, 2012
                    On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 1:26 PM, Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> wrote:

                    On Jan 31, 2012, at 12:47 PM, "J. Alexander Jacocks" <jjacocks@...> wrote:
                    It's also just a one day show this year.
                    Interestingly enough, the Timonium Hamfest is also 1 day, this year, with the flea market indoors.  Site link: http://www.thehamfest.com/ .  Talking to folks, the cause seems to be the continual shrinking of any swapmeet-type event, brought on by eBay/other auction sites.
                      Wow, Timonium too?  Damn.  I used to go to that 'fest every year, both days, it was awesome.  And HUGE.  Between this and TCF, I could just about cry. :-(

                    Yeah, me too.  I love the getting together and talking about the stuff part as much as the buying and selling part, so eBay is just not nearly the same.  Of course, even though I'm fairly young (35), I've been going to Hamfests since I was 13 years old, so you can (and people have) call me an old fogy.

                    From what I hear, only Dayton still remains as a very large, multi-day, Hamfest.  Does anyone know of other Hamfests that are still well attended?  I'd especially love to hear of ones that are on the east coast.

                    My friend Jonathan and I will be at Timonium, this year, as we are, every year.  We'll have a couple vendor tables, and be selling *nix and vintage gear.  Hope some folks make it, as it's still a good show, even given the size reduction.

                    - Alex
                  • Kelly D. Leavitt
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jan 31, 2012
                      > From what I hear, only Dayton still remains as a very large, multi-day, Hamfest. Does anyone know of
                      > other Hamfests that are still well attended? I'd especially love to hear of ones that are on the east coast.

                      The Sussex County ARC hamfest is still fairly large, and you can stop by and have a burger cooked by me. We have around 200 vendors and over 1,000 hams show up.

                      It is only one day. Location is the Sussex County Fairgrounds, 37 Plains Rd (off Rt. 206), Augusta, NJ

                      73 de Kelly
                      KB2SYD
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jan 31, 2012
                        On 01/31/2012 01:43 PM, J. Alexander Jacocks wrote:
                        > Yeah, me too. I love the getting together and talking about the stuff
                        > part as much as the buying and selling part, so eBay is just not nearly
                        > the same. Of course, even though I'm fairly young (35), I've been going
                        > to Hamfests since I was 13 years old, so you can (and people have) call
                        > me an old fogy.

                        You'll be farting dust any year now. ;) (42 here)

                        > From what I hear, only Dayton still remains as a very large, multi-day,
                        > Hamfest. Does anyone know of other Hamfests that are still well
                        > attended? I'd especially love to hear of ones that are on the east coast.

                        20+ years ago I went to a very good one every year, the DVRA
                        (Delaware Valley Radio Association) hamfest. I don't know if it's still
                        being held.

                        > My friend Jonathan and I will be at Timonium, this year, as we are,
                        > every year. We'll have a couple vendor tables, and be selling *nix and
                        > vintage gear. Hope some folks make it, as it's still a good show, even
                        > given the size reduction.

                        I'm going to try to make it to Timonium. I used to live pretty
                        closer to there, in Laurel MD. Living in FL made it damn near
                        impossible, but now I'm just a few hours away so it's no big deal.

                        Years ago I had a Unimog 404S (google if unfamiliar) and I took it to
                        the Timonium fest one year for my selling spot. Man it drew a crowd; we
                        had a ball.

                        Dave McGuire
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jan 31, 2012
                          On 01/31/2012 01:42 PM, Neil Cherry wrote:
                          > What we need to do with TCf is to turn it into a Maker/Hackerspace
                          > conference, get together, hands on demo. I think that might help.
                          > The 'Junk Yard' (my fond name for it) is long gone, now it's just an
                          > extension of a garage sale. I'm going to attend the classes as I see
                          > a few that I'm interested in.

                          I dunno. I attended the Pittsburgh Mini Maker Faire a few months
                          ago. It was the first and only such event that I've attended. My
                          problem with it was that 90% of the stuff there seemed to be targeted at
                          children. I don't mean "young people" or "twenty-somethings", I mean
                          KIDS...just plain TOYS. It would've been great when I was, say, eight
                          years old, but now, not so much. My lady and I had a good time, and
                          there was a lot of creativity there, but it did leave a lot to be
                          desired, and we had little interest in spending more than a couple of
                          hours there.

                          I really hope other events of that sort are different, especially if
                          TCF moves in that direction.

                          Dave McGuire
                          New Kensington, PA
                        • Neil Cherry
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jan 31, 2012
                            On 01/31/2012 03:27 PM, Dave McGuire wrote:

                            > On 01/31/2012 01:42 PM, Neil Cherry wrote:
                            >> What we need to do with TCf is to turn it into a Maker/Hackerspace
                            >> conference, get together, hands on demo. I think that might help.
                            >> The 'Junk Yard' (my fond name for it) is long gone, now it's just an
                            >> extension of a garage sale. I'm going to attend the classes as I see
                            >> a few that I'm interested in.
                            >
                            > I dunno. I attended the Pittsburgh Mini Maker Faire a few months
                            > ago. It was the first and only such event that I've attended. My
                            > problem with it was that 90% of the stuff there seemed to be targeted at
                            > children. I don't mean "young people" or "twenty-somethings", I mean
                            > KIDS...just plain TOYS. It would've been great when I was, say, eight
                            > years old, but now, not so much. My lady and I had a good time, and
                            > there was a lot of creativity there, but it did leave a lot to be
                            > desired, and we had little interest in spending more than a couple of
                            > hours there.
                            >
                            > I really hope other events of that sort are different, especially if
                            > TCF moves in that direction.

                            I'm hoping it doesn't go that way. While my electronics is my toys
                            I'm hoping to work with creative folks and not toy makers.

                            Message 13 of 17 , Jan 31, 2012
                              On 01/31/2012 04:00 PM, Neil Cherry wrote:
                              >> I dunno. I attended the Pittsburgh Mini Maker Faire a few months
                              >> ago. It was the first and only such event that I've attended. My
                              >> problem with it was that 90% of the stuff there seemed to be targeted at
                              >> children. I don't mean "young people" or "twenty-somethings", I mean
                              >> KIDS...just plain TOYS. It would've been great when I was, say, eight
                              >> years old, but now, not so much. My lady and I had a good time, and
                              >> there was a lot of creativity there, but it did leave a lot to be
                              >> desired, and we had little interest in spending more than a couple of
                              >> hours there.
                              >>
                              >> I really hope other events of that sort are different, especially if
                              >> TCF moves in that direction.
                              >
                              > I'm hoping it doesn't go that way. While my electronics is my toys
                              > I'm hoping to work with creative folks and not toy makers.

                              Same here. The occasional toy can be a fun diversion sometimes, but
                              a whole event of that, targeted at adults, showing the nontechnical
                              public that this is all technical hobbies are about, is a really bad
                              idea on several levels.

                              Dave McGuire
                              New Kensington, PA
                            • billdeg
                              Message 14 of 17 , Jan 31, 2012

                                > What we need to do with TCf is to turn it into a Maker/Hackerspace
                                > conference, get together, hands on demo. I think that might help.
                                > The 'Junk Yard' (my fond name for it) is long gone, now it's just an
                                > extension of a garage sale. I'm going to attend the classes as I see
                                > a few that I'm interested in.

                                That's not a bad idea. We have in the past hacked vintage computers as our "exhibit" at TCF, but our club is only tangental to the maker/hackerspace scene (in that there are a lot of us who hack new as well as old stuff).

                                Message 15 of 17 , Jan 31, 2012
                                  >> While my electronics is my toys
                                  I'm hoping to work with creative folks and not toy makers.

                                  World Maker Faire, every fall in NYC, includes VERY serious makers/hackers from all over. As you know, IXR hopes to become a serious hackerspace, and MARCH supports their mission.

                                  However this thread is getting off-topic on our list.

                                  MARCH supports TCF and its primary sponsor, the Amateur Computer Group of New Jersey. ACGNJ has a rich history and its officers have supported MARCH and VCF East too.

                                  As I understand it, TCF management is trying hard to keep their event relevant. TCF funds some scholarships at the College of New Jersey.

                                  MARCH will have a demo table at TCF this year, as we do every year. It's the neighborly thing to do and it's good advertising for VCF East.
                                • Evan
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Jan 31, 2012
                                    I was planning on going. Went to the first one, and a bunch since.
                                    I guess the good old days are gone. I still have two big cardboard boxes full of IC chips a bought there late afternoon on the last day once. Probably will donate it to IXR.

                                    > >> While my electronics is my toys
                                    > I'm hoping to work with creative folks and not toy makers.
                                    >
                                    > World Maker Faire, every fall in NYC, includes VERY serious makers/hackers from all over. As you know, IXR hopes to become a serious hackerspace, and MARCH supports their mission.
                                    >
                                    > However this thread is getting off-topic on our list.
                                    >
                                    > MARCH supports TCF and its primary sponsor, the Amateur Computer Group of New Jersey. ACGNJ has a rich history and its officers have supported MARCH and VCF East too.
                                    >
                                    > As I understand it, TCF management is trying hard to keep their event relevant. TCF funds some scholarships at the College of New Jersey.
                                    >
                                    > MARCH will have a demo table at TCF this year, as we do every year. It's the neighborly thing to do and it's good advertising for VCF East.

                                  • Jeff Jonas
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Feb 1, 2012
                                      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Evan" <drwass3@...> wrote:
                                      > I was planning on going. Went to the first one, and a bunch since.
                                      > I guess the good old days are gone. I still have two big cardboard boxes full of IC chips a bought there late afternoon on the last day once. Probably will donate it to IXR.

                                      Just let me know when that happens so I can say hi too! I divide my time at Infoage between IXR and MARCH.

                                      -- Jeff Jonas