Commodore PET & Intertec Superbrain - What to look for when buying and reasonable price

  • Jeffrey Brace
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 27, 2012
      I found someone selling a Commodore PET 2001 (The original) and a Intertec Superbrain QD. As a Vintage Computer enthusiast and collector, how would I determine a reasonable price when buying ?

      Jeff Brace
    • brian_cirulnick
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 28, 2012
        Jeff, I heard from Chris that you're seeking a co-buyer for the Superbrain? I can be talked into it if it's reasonable.

        > I found someone selling a Commodore PET 2001 (The original) and a Intertec Superbrain QD. As a Vintage Computer enthusiast and collector, how would I determine a reasonable price when buying ?
        >
        > Jeff Brace

      • Jeffrey Brace
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 28, 2012
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 28, 2012
            On 1/27/2012 11:28 PM, Jeffrey Brace wrote:
            I found someone selling a Commodore PET 2001 (The original) and a Intertec Superbrain QD. As a Vintage Computer enthusiast and collector, how would I determine a reasonable price when buying ?

            Sorry for not replying sooner...

            For the PET 2001, of course you would be looking for the chiclet keyboard.  The tape drive will probably not work.  Most likely this is when you press play, fast forward or rewind you will hear something from the tape drive, but the tape spinner things will not turn.  This can easily be fixed by using a drive belt from a newer Commodore tape drive.

            I believe the older PET 2001's have a blue bezel and blue label, like this one on the left:
            http://www.vintagecomputer.net/commodore/multimachine/PET_2001s_connected.JPG

            Another thing to look at is the motherboard inside. specifically the 6540 ROM and 6550 RAM chips.  The board number would be 320008.  There are also 2 other motherboards that have combinations of MOS ROM/RAM and off the shelf ROM/RAM chips, with a fourth have both off the shelf ROM/RAM chips.

            Cheers,

            Bryan

            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 28, 2012
              Some older pets will have been updated..replaced ROMS just like Apple owners did then. The oldest Pets cannot use disk drives.
              Sent from my PDP 8/e.