Re: [midatlanticretro] updated to my MARCH web site

  • J. Chris Hausler
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 23, 2012

      Hi Jeff,

      It's likely leader.  Although most of us are familiar with the typical IBM style half inch tape with reflective tape strips to make the beginning and end of the spool (somewhere around here I still have about a half used package of these) there were other approaches and clear leader (and trailer) was a common approach as well.  The very first computer on which I wrote a program (in Algol :-) was a Bendix G-20 (later re-branded Control Data) and it used one inch wide tape on NAB hubs with clear leader and trailer to tell the drive when it was at the end.  The drives were made by Potter:

      http://www.dvq.com/ads/potter_bendix_tape_sa_11_61.jpg

      In addition these tapes were blocked and had directories like DECtape and so you used them like stringy disks.  I still have a couple of these tapes around here as well.

      73, Chris Hausler